Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Salina, KS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Never have I ever" checked twice a day about a construction project in Kansas wondering when it might get done, so as the crew could then go on to work in St George (hopefully), so I could visit friends there from California.
"Never have I ever" thought I would own such a cool car that would make me think of the USA and the World this way.

I've got a bad feeling about this location. I expect drama to ensue at some point between Tesla, Tesla drivers, the hotel, and the town.

Assuming all the parking lot info is accurate -- If I was Tesla, I would halt construction immediately and reassess. There is no way that is going to work.

Here are all of the things that can and probably are going wrong (just some speculation mind you):

1) The city thinks this is just some kind of small niche nothing and will get almost no usage.
2) The hotel ownership thinks use will be low.
3) The hotel ownership thinks the EV charger users will be customers staying the night.
4) Tesla drivers think they should have exclusive access to the parking spaces.
5) Hotel guests think they should have exclusive access to the parking spaces.
6) Locals will take offense to the front row EV stalls and park there out of spite.
7) Frequent ICE'ing for Tesla drivers in a place with few other charging options.
8) Regular complaints to the hotel from both guests and Tesla drivers.
9) Drama drama drama.
10) Tesla finally builds the station somewhere else.

Personally, if I were Tesla Motors, I would skip steps 1 through 9 and just go directly to 10.

Last edited:
I can see how the hotel and ICE drivers are a problem, but I don't see how the city is involved. Cars are going to park there whether or not there are Superchargers.

Salina opening might change my path West.
Even though it adds over 450 miles my the trek to Barstow, I calculate it would still save me some significant time spent otherwise at an RV park charging.

AND the mountains in Colorado are a lot cooler than parts of Texas and New Mexico (while waiting).

I was asked to keep this off the forum until it was "official" but I was returning from a Colorado vacation and was tipped off about Salina opening yesterday. The timing was perfect, so we altered our route to include Salina. The location is really isolated from anything, but the HIE people are really nice and onboard with the Tesla vision so taking a break inside with some water and a comfy chair is welcome. The crew installing these Superchargers is top notch. It's always cool to hear the shared passion in the voice of the build-out crew. So without further adieu, I bring you a picture of the first Tesla to charge at Salina, KS.

IMG_20140702_172812.jpg

The Salina is Open e-mail came out this morning and includes a picture of the actual site. It looks like getting a good picture of the Supercharger is a part of the final testing and commissioning checklist.

That is a great picture. I'm not sure why they're not using the picture on the individual Supercharger page in the "profile picture" area. - http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger/salina

On my road trip home, I decided to take the new I-70 Superchargers. Below was Salina this morning when I came through. Just sharing that the theoretical ICE-ing is becoming practical. Fortunately two spots were available when I arrived. None of the cars moved in the 1h 15m I was there (I wanted to leave on FULL).

image.jpeg

I'm spanning Salina, KS to Normal, IL with two off-grid charge locations (a Chargepoint and an RV Park).