Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Salinas, CA (LIVE 14 Oct 2017, 14 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like decent use. 3 cars, all Teslas, charging.

I hoped to see a model 3 here, but for now Model 3’s don’t appear to be using the Salinas SC. Let’s see how that changes over the next 4 years.
18F693FB-2E8D-4A4E-B300-793C54812722.jpeg
ACF9215F-AE02-4275-9479-0594A68B6125.jpeg

We charged there both ways on a recent short trip down south and back. Charged around 10:45-11:15a on way down on a Thursday and several other cars were there when we pulled in. Left with 2 other Teslas than us when continuing on. We stopped in Target for some Starbuck's coffee and bathroom stop which was perfect for something quick.

IMG_7962.JPG

On the way back on Sunday Superchargers were busier but not full. It was more around dinner time 6pm-ish and we walked over to Red Lobster for dinner. Convenient enough to the chargers and when it was time to move our car it was quick and easy for my husband to do so and come back and finish our meal together. I like this Supercharger location a lot.

I will mention that we had the next Supercharger location entered into our system, and the Nav had us head down Main Street past the high school and the sports arena to pick up 101 south; and it had us get off at that Main St. exit as well coming back north on the way home. Not much was going on with the businesses/school/arena along the route either time, but personally I thought using the Boronda Road exit at the north end of Main Street (which is closer to the Superchargers) makes more sense. You can get both on and off 101 there in either direction. You could hit some mall traffic I suppose using the Boronda exit but I think it would outweigh using the Main Street exit's potential traffic. We joked that the city probably wanted you to use the Main Street exit in case you saw something else to stop at LOL.

Last edited:
I will mention that we had the next Supercharger location entered into our system, and the Nav had us head down Main Street past the high school and the sports arena to pick up 101 south; and it had us get off at that Main St. exit as well coming back north on the way home.
Same thing happened to us last October (as mentioned upthread in post 53.) I think the Nav system should always direct you to the Boronda Road exit, as the Main Street exit puts you on surface streets for about a mile. If something is going on at the sports complex, there could be a fair amount of traffic at that end of Salinas which could be avoided.

Same thing happened to us last October (as mentioned upthread in post 53.) I think the Nav system should always direct you to the Boronda Road exit, as the Main Street exit puts you on surface streets for about a mile. If something is going on at the sports complex, there could be a fair amount of traffic at that end of Salinas which could be avoided.
Traffic getting from the SuperCharger to the Boronda Road freeway entrance can take half an hour in regular traffic due to horrible stop lights; as long as there are no clogging events in the Southward direction, I think it's actually faster as the nav told you.

Either way, be aware of your surroundings; don't let anyone box you in in case you need to run.

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz
Yes... tempting and sorta natural when leaving SC to exit onto Main St north then left onto Boronda to Hwy 101. But uncooperative lights - aimed at getting you into the Mall. Quicker to exit the parking lot by going behind Five Guys to the right onto San Juan Grade and then left onto Boronda to Hwy 101. Lights are much more cooperative.

I don't recall the positive-affirmation messages being painted in those stalls last time I was there. :) Nobody seems to have mentioned them on Google, either. Wonder what the story is behind those?
Looks like non-supercharger stalls have them too. You can see them in the next row over (starboard of ohman's Model X). Maybe a whole section of the parking lot? Strange.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Looks like non-supercharger stalls have them too. You can see them in the next row over (starboard of ohman's Model X). Maybe a whole section of the parking lot? Strange.

I've seen things like that painted on the stalls in one of the SF Chinatown parking garages (the one across from the police station).

But yeah they weren't there when I visited Salinas last year (last summer? when a few of us did that drive from the Bay Area to Pebble Beach)

Bruce.

I don't recall the positive-affirmation messages being painted in those stalls last time I was there. :) Nobody seems to have mentioned them on Google, either. Wonder what the story is behind those?
There were quite a few. What struck me as funny was that there were ones labeled “compact” in between those messages, written in the same stenciled font.

Caution for Salinas Charging:eek: — NAILS

Arrived here with 20% SoC and got message that Sentry was disabled. Plugged in and we saw all these nails around the Tesla Supercharger parking row. Don’t know if someone hates Teslas or if there was construction there (didn’t see any from posted photos above) but wanted everyone charging there to be aware. Didn’t see any along the full row side but there are nails next to the single charger spot opposite the main row by the enclosure.

Hope to find the name of management company for shopping center to call and request clean up but I’d use extra care before pulling into one of the charging spots.

I’ll post some photos when we get home and hopefully didn’t pick up one in our tires.

Last edited:
They were scattered all over the mulched area and a bit around. We did walk along what we could see of the long row of cars charging (left parked plugged in) and checked for nails back along the back tire area where cars backed in. Didn’t see any that were visible but as mentioned they were pretty numerous through that island area and didn’t have time to check further down towards the Target direction. We did find it unusual to see these there. Notice drink was left there too.

E1D9B8A7-ACFE-41EC-9CE0-4AB7F4A040CD.jpeg AED4D026-9260-4DB7-AC54-6709EFF70747.jpeg 55EAA5C9-A568-4EC9-8022-997E7E877453.jpeg 7754BB4A-7244-4909-BB84-019FC51A5591.jpeg 75CB2FA3-F3D6-426C-B267-E7FB25D52DAC.jpeg

We pulled in to charge and immediately headed towards the restaurant. Noticed it when unplugging to move the car before heading back in to finish meal. I think most people just back in and either sit in their car or head to a restaurant or store and don’t bother to look around the car. Until now not something I really thought to do either. Seems to be a mix of fasteners. Can’t believe this could all be left over from when they were installing the chargers and had fenced off.

Last edited: