Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Salinas, CA (LIVE 14 Oct 2017, 14 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

smartypnz

Supporting Member
Jan 23, 2013
Monterey Peninsula
IMG_0345.JPG
Looks to be here at Harden Ranch Plaza. Several choices to eat, across Main St from Northridge Mall. Close to US 101 Boronda Rd exit.

Dunno - sent private msg. Figured pic and call to mgmt was enough.

Just seeing a fenced off area in a parking lot and thinking supercharger could be a case of hearing hoofbeats and thinking zebras, but with confirmation from mall management this is definitely cone-worthy at supercharge.info. It appears that there are about 9 spaces fenced off in front - is the backside also fenced off where the pickup truck is?

Reactions: McManX
Just seeing a fenced off area in a parking lot and thinking supercharger could be a case of hearing hoofbeats and thinking zebras, but with confirmation from mall management this is definitely cone-worthy at supercharge.info. It appears that there are about 9 spaces fenced off in front - is the backside also fenced off where the pickup truck is?

Yes, two rows. Didn't count spaces because not sure how much room the transformer and cabinets would take. A rough guess would be between 8 - 12. Next row behind has other charger(s) in use.
At first wasn't sure - so I called the office and said "I understand those Tesla Superchargers will be done soon." Was told "Not sure exactly, but they are just getting started. They finished Monterey."

That kinda sealed it.

Quite good information and pretty good news.

This is mostly helpful for those coming from SouthWest to North (such as from Monterey to San Jose), or for those already on 101 somewhere North of Salinas (such as from San Jose to San Luis Obispo). This is not so helpful for those coming from NorthWest to South (such as from Santa Cruz to anywhere, or from Monterey to King City).

I'm somewhat disappointed that this site is so far NorthEast in Salinas; those going long distance past Salinas taking California Hwy 183 to 101 South (+30 minutes) or Hwy 68 to 101 South (+37 minutes) or Blanco Rd to 101 South (+36 minutes) will have to go way out of their way to get to and from this SuperCharger site; for this reason alone, I suggest those coming from NorthWest to South 101 continue to use Nob Hill Chademo or other long distance travel methods (larger battery, slower driving, etc.) for now, even though it basically eats up the out-of-the-way travel time by charging at a slower charger, at least you drive less distance, meaning less wear and tear, less depreciation, less fatigue and less chance for accidents.

What's also bad about this SuperCharging site is that it is past a lot of traffic coming off the freeway in a very busy area of town. Also, Main Street, the primary street one would have to cross to get to this site from 101, is well known for having adverse travelers on it. Additionally, that area is not well known for having higher end establishments. Finally, it being an in-town site means that it might get a fair amount of local charging from Model 3 buyers. All in all, I am disappointed with this selection.

However, my last conclusion, that it might get a fair amount of local charging from Model 3 buyers, might be a good thing: this will allow many of the apartment dwellers and those who are not able to install charging equipment on homes they rent or stay at family with (jurisdictional squabbles, major construction costs, who's in charge type stuff that many people have to live with), will nonetheless allow many Salinas residents and visitors to buy and own Model 3's, charge at the SuperCharger, for local use, and for out of town use. I know a lot of people who work in Silicon Valley and live in Salinas or further down toward the Monterey Peninsula. This siting is perfect for those people.

Also, when Teslas start to self-drive, this will be a very simple location for driverless cars to stop off at to fill up after Ubering to that shopping mall.

I still think that this is an opportunity to revisit my idea that competitive third party SuperChargers would be a good idea: Tesla doesn't have to make perfect siting decisions if they open it up to other charge providers. Right now, Tesla's SuperCharger protocols and standards remain proprietary, confidential, non-public, and without any agreements with anybody else to install them who is actually installing them, and third party charging options for Teslas max out at ~42kW with Chademo on a 75, much slower than 99kW at a SuperCharger on the same car.

I've said my part about this siting. Now, I'm going to look forward to it opening! Let's go Salinas SuperCharger #1 :D

Last edited:
Reactions: whiteeagles
Additionally, that area is not well known for having higher end establishments.

No argument, but it is a shopping center - so the usual choices.... Chipotle, BJ's, Red Lobster within about 100 feet. Little Caesars and Jamba Juice in adjoining center. Buffalo Wild Wings, Starbucks - 3 minute walk. If you do venture across Main St, again more Starbucks, Panda Express, Cold Stone Creamery, Cinnabon and other indoor mall fare.
Usually traveling is the reason for these SC's, so fine dining is not the goal.

Reactions: Ulmo
@smartypnz nice find! Thanks for starting this thread. This is great news.
No argument, but it is a shopping center - so the usual choices.... Chipotle, BJ's, Red Lobster within about 100 feet. Little Caesars and Jamba Juice in adjoining center. Buffalo Wild Wings, Starbucks - 3 minute walk. If you do venture across Main St, again more Starbucks, Panda Express, Cold Stone Creamery, Cinnabon and other indoor mall fare.
Usually traveling is the reason for these SC's, so fine dining is not the goal.
That sounds like quite an extensive selection of choices compared to many Supercharger sites. Great location, this site will get lots of use, and I know I will use it next year when I am towing a camper trailer south on the 101 from the SF Bay Area!

Reactions: ohmman
Yes, I think that this site gives travelers up and down 101 another option besides Atascadero and Gilroy. When the planned SC installation in San Luis is done, we will have our choice of stopping points. This increase in charging options undoubtedly will relieve some of the stress experienced at Gilroy and Atascadero.

And for those hardy souls like Ecarfan and Ohmman, this closer spacing will make towing a trailer less anxious.

Salinas, CA

Along Interstates: None
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-101
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

US-101:
To: Gilroy, CA - 26.5 miles
Diversion: 0.3 miles
To: Mountain View, CA - 68 miles

Neighbors:
Gilroy, CA (US-101,CA-152): 26.5 miles
Kettleman City, CA (US-101,CA-198,CA-33,I-5,CA-41): 135 miles
Atascadero, CA (US-101): 113 miles
Seaside, CA (US-101,CA-156,CA-1): 22.9 miles

Reactions: Ulmo
What are adverse travelers?
I was being intentionally vague since I've successfully avoided almost all horror stories I've heard often about Salinas. The fact is, I do not know. However, I have sensed it when I get mean stares and driving from other cars around me on Main Street. I usually pull way back and leave the street for a while and come back in a few minutes. My complete paranoia with Salinas has yielded a relatively peaceful experience for me there; I've not had any of the much worse problems I've had in other cities as a result. I've lived in enough rough urban areas (from a varied range of neighborhoods of places including Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, San Juan, and some others) to know that avoidance is key.

Yes, I think that this site gives travelers up and down 101 another option besides Atascadero and Gilroy. When the planned SC installation in San Luis is done, we will have our choice of stopping points. This increase in charging options undoubtedly will relieve some of the stress experienced at Gilroy and Atascadero.

And for those hardy souls like Ecarfan and Ohmman, this closer spacing will make towing a trailer less anxious.
It's definitely welcome, but 113 miles is still a slightly uncomfortable stretch which requires speed management when towing in my X 90D. @ecarfan and his fancy 100D will be able to rocket past me, and all I'll hear is his guffaw of delight.

• Funny
Reactions: tccartier and Ulmo
It's definitely welcome, but 113 miles is still a slightly uncomfortable stretch which requires speed management when towing in my X 90D. @ecarfan and his fancy 100D will be able to rocket past me, and all I'll hear is his guffaw of delight.
A gentleman in a Tesla does not "guffaw". However, one is allowed to chuckle quietly... ;)

36.715725, -121.653993

Not much activity. They moved the fences out of the parking spots (up to the planted areas) except for one pickup; the fences still cover what seems like the same planted area footprint. There are now a bunch of plastic conduit pieces inside the fenced area of sizes and shapes reasonable for a SuperCharger, but mostly cut offs and leftover quantities, and looks mostly insufficient for a full installation; probably from their last job (same type of thing?).

There's nothing above ground here that physically reveals the mysteries of where the closest utility conduits are; that would be with utilities, land owners, and governments. Everything is nicely tucked underground here; I literally cannot see any wires in any direction for as far as the eye can see in any direction, except the CCS-only plug (mentioned below) and the chain wire fence.

50 feet away is a ChargePoint CCS-only "Quick Charger 24kW"; no Pacific cars allowed (Japanese, Californian (Tesla)).

There is a fairly sizable store building having interior remodeling done a few hundred feet away alongside Main Street; is it unrelated? Address of its closet room is 1712 (I don't know in what coordinate system that point exists). Utility infrastructure here seems very sufficient. As is normal in construction, the workers there have no idea what it's going to be. (This is part of the destruction of self worth, meaning, and power done by secrecy. Perhaps there's a good strategy with that or perhaps not. Probably typical "BS".) A large banner outside says "For Lease" with a 415 phone #; I'm guessing this San Francisco corporation office managed property could be for lease.

Last edited:
Overall I think this is good. When going northbound it's taking the East Borunda Road exit off 101, going down one short street section and then turning right on Main. There's also access from 101 southbound going over the overpass. I think this side of 101 at Borunda would be preferable to the area on the other side of 101 around Auto Center Circle, lots of that is dead at night althought brightly lit as I recall. The other shopping centers along 101 in Salinas are basically accessible from the Laurel Drive Exit (both directions) but if you look at the dining choices in the area they are further apart from each other. A number of years ago we were traveling that way more regularly and would get off at Laurel and only thing open late coming home would be IHOP in the OSH shared parking lot. Swear we saw sketchy activity a number of times in that parking lot.

While there's heavier traffic around the Northridge Mall and the new SC location, traffic can also be a good thing in that means lots of people around. We just got our car back from the rear side window being smashed in so I look at a busy area as good thing even more so these days. I took a look on Google Maps and saw that this area in the photo is just across from the Red Lobster parking lot and the shopping center road, right adjacent to the road in fact. Kind of weird location stuck out there next to the shopping center roadway like that but guessing the shopping center didn't want to have it too close to the stores like Famous Footwear and taking parking away from businesses. Red Lobster, BJs, Five Guys and Chipotle are certainly close enough. With the area situated in between two parking area lighting poles guess electricity is there already. From the photo above there's been quite a bit of changes made to the parking lot since the Google Maps imagery was taken (even longer for the Apple maps in this case).

Next time we are driving down that way or coming back we'll make a point to stop there and check on progress. Frequently when we are heading back from down south it's been around dinner time or later so have stopped in Salinas to eat, let traffic ease up a bit and sometimes let the sun set before getting back on the road. Now we'll be able to grab a charge if needed.

Last edited:
Made a quick stop at this future Supercharger site while coming back from Tesla Social in Seaside/Monterey. Easy off and back on 101. It is a busy shopping area between retail stores and eateries.

The fenced in area is moved from the photos previously posted and to me, based on pavement markings I saw, it looks like they are going to be using both sides of the newly fenced in island. There's construction pipes and supplies and a service vehicle parked inside there now. Took a panoramic of both sides. Looks plausible there could be a dozen or so of stalls built out especially given a lot of sites are now in that range. Oh and there's one lone ChargePoint charger across from one of the rows.

In this first photo Red Lobster is off camera to the right of this photo, Famous Footwear to the left.
Monterey Del Monte Center - 1.jpg

Monterey Del Monte Center - 2.jpg