Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Salmon Arm, BC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this is confirmed by the mobile tech I had onsite west kelowna who tested it on his car to be sure. he got even lower speeds than me and said " this has been a problem and many complaints because the mall is throttling power.
The tech you spoke to is full of sh*t and doesn't know what they were talking about. The supercharger's electrical supply is separate from the mall's (you can see the pad for the charging site's utility transformer in post #20) and the mall has no ability to reduce or throttle the charging speeds there.

Yes I tend to agree. It doesn't make much sense. Most throttling is controlled by the onsite charger. The car and charger communicate data between each other. The cars battery chemistry, temperature, onboard computer communicates information to the charger and then the car requests a safe amount of power and then the charger throttles up and down depending on the request from the car. If there's a problem with the charging unit itself, then it can keep the power limited. But that's between the car, charging station and settings from Tesla. Should have nothing to do with anything or anyone else.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Yes I tend to agree. It doesn't make much sense. Most throttling is controlled by the onsite charger. The car and charger communicate data between each other. The cars battery chemistry, temperature, onboard computer communicates information to the charger and then the car requests a safe amount of power and then the charger throttles up and down depending on the request from the car. If there's a problem with the charging unit itself, then it can keep the power limited. But that's between the car, charging station and settings from Tesla. Should have nothing to do with anything or anyone else.
whoever-whatever is throttling the charger..........not the point. The point is it's at a fraction of the speed for everyone, not just my car which is why that site is always completely empty because it's not worth using. broken model of paying per minute and not energy consumed. What if you got charged per minute to fill a gas tank. The pumps would likely get slower too?

Reactions: NSTM3
whoever-whatever is throttling the charger..........not the point. The point is it's at a fraction of the speed for everyone, not just my car which is why that site is always completely empty because it's not worth using. broken model of paying per minute and not energy consumed. What if you got charged per minute to fill a gas tank. The pumps would likely get slower too?
Like I say. Might be worth opening a ticket as many reporting in on plug share are reporting speeds north of 200 kw.

Totally agree. This model of paying per minute is crazy. We need to pay for the amount of energy that's given to the car, not per minute. Like you said, if gas stations charged per minute, they would also like you to stay for 30 minutes per fill up.

Also what "Webeevdrivers" said. You might want to open a ticket with Tesla regarding the charging speeds at those locations. Checking PlugShare, most people are reporting good speeds, but not many people check-in on PlugShare anymore, so there are not many recent charging sessions to compare to. The problem could be the Superchargers or your car. If there were problems at Superchargers, you'd see a lot more negative check-ins. People rarely leave feedback when it's a positive experience, but when something is wrong, they kick, yell and scream.

I would think it's my car but it's not. some chargers are good in some cities but it seems the okanagan valley is not getting the advertised speeds, not even close. I tested this by getting the mobile guy to test with his car.......same thing and he said it's been a problem. BChydro does not manage all the locations. Best western in Kelowna throttles theirs all the time because they provide the power. These stations are not used much in the winter but come summer it will hit the fan

• Disagree
Reactions: mociaf9
I would think it's my car but it's not. some chargers are good in some cities but it seems the okanagan valley is not getting the advertised speeds, not even close. I tested this by getting the mobile guy to test with his car.......same thing and he said it's been a problem. BChydro does not manage all the locations. Best western in Kelowna throttles theirs all the time because they provide the power. These stations are not used much in the winter but come summer it will hit the fan
Weird. I always get good speeds at both Kelowna Superchargers.

Is this a busy station?
I can’t say, but what is worth keeping in mind is that Tesla has all the data on Supercharger station usage by time of day, by week, etc. Tesla certainly uses that data to tell them where more Superchargers are needed in one location.

But of course in the real world Tesla is constrained by local electric power limitations and by whether or not a parking lot owner is willing to allow them to install Superchargers or not.

So maybe Tesla wants to add more Superchargers in Salmon Arm but can’t find a suitable location yet.

Is this a busy station? Just noticed Merritt got third station today. Kamloops also has three. Hope, Revelstoke, Golden and Canmore have two.

Salmon Arm is the only town with one station on Hwy 1 route to Calgary.
It bridges an uncomfortable gap for SR+ cars in the winter for TC1, but doesn't really link anything else. Merritt serves Kelowna and eventually Kamloops will connect BC5 to TC16. Tesla probably also shops around for site hosts and if they have more than one willing partner in an area they expect demand to grow, they lock it down instead of waiting

Reactions: Nogassssssss
Is this a busy station? Just noticed Merritt got third station today. Kamloops also has three. Hope, Revelstoke, Golden and Canmore have two.

Salmon Arm is the only town with one station on Hwy 1 route to Calgary.
No. I have seen one other car here at most the dozen times I have been here. By comparison I have seen a 6 car wait at Merritt after the second station opened.

Reactions: Nogassssssss