Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Salt Lake City, UT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After they mentioned the trickle charge I stayed put where I was. It trickled at 1kW for 10 minutes or so then jumped up to 112kW on its own and started supercharging as normal. After about 3 minutes at that rate it started dropping fast. That’s when I started moving stalls. According to Teslafi I went from 0-8% at the first stall. The second one started at 115kW and stayed there for a few minutes before starting to drop quickly. (Teslafi says 8-20% for this stall).
The third stall got me from 20-90% with a normal charge rate, starting at 115kW and tapering down normally as the car has every other time I’ve supercharged.

/edit. I should add Teslafi reported my voltage was 290-ish at the beginning when I was trickling. The supercharging “proper” kicked in when the pack went above 300v.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how recently this occurred, but I notice this location has been renamed to "Salt Lake City - S. State Street, UT" on the official Tesla map. This is pure speculation on my part, but it may mean they are planning another location elsewhere in the city.

I'm not sure how recently this occurred, but I notice this location has been renamed to "Salt Lake City - S. State Street, UT" on the official Tesla map. This is pure speculation on my part, but it may mean they are planning another location elsewhere in the city.
Not sure why they would add another location in SLC. Never seen this one get full yet.

Now I would like to see Park City and Ogden get added to the map.

Reactions: Fiver
As a heads up the charger at the end of the row, closest to state street suffered some damage at some point and the staff there said they (Tesla) have lowered its supercharging rate to 1/4 of normal until it’s repaired. No idea when it will be fixed. I’ve had slow supercharging at most of the bays recently as well so there might be some other issues going on.

Don't think it's actually down. Are you just referring to the Reduced Service message in the Nav?

I got that message when I passed through a couple days ago and stopped to see what was going on anyway. Plugged in no problem at 9pm and got the usual 110kW power. There was another couple charging their Model X as well.

Speculation in some of the California threads is that they are trying to discourage using these superchargers because they are using them for deliveries. But even then it shouldn't be any issue to go there and plug in after hours. FWIW, I think I saw employees leaving for the day around 9-9:30pm so they are definitely working long days.

Reactions: KJD
Don't think it's actually down. Are you just referring to the Reduced Service message in the Nav?

I got that message when I passed through a couple days ago and stopped to see what was going on anyway. Plugged in no problem at 9pm and got the usual 110kW power. There was another couple charging their Model X as well.

Speculation in some of the California threads is that they are trying to discourage using these superchargers because they are using them for deliveries. But even then it shouldn't be any issue to go there and plug in after hours. FWIW, I think I saw employees leaving for the day around 9-9:30pm so they are definitely working long days.
I stopped by a few days ago and plugged in my car and it just blinked blue and never turned green. I didn't even think about trying another charger as I had enough juice, I just wanted a bit of peace of mind. Maybe I got unlucky and plugged into the one that is "reduced"? Would be just my luck! lol

I stopped by a few days ago and plugged in my car and it just blinked blue and never turned green. I didn't even think about trying another charger as I had enough juice, I just wanted a bit of peace of mind. Maybe I got unlucky and plugged into the one that is "reduced"? Would be just my luck! lol
Oh okay. I only plugged into one because I didn't really need it either. Obviously wasn't relying on it when the Nav says Reduced Service. I assume the other car was charging fine as well so that's at least 2 stalls on different cabinets that were working.

Sometimes Reduced Service just means that a couple stalls are down which isn't really a big deal as long as you don't go at a peak time.

I stopped by today after the Drive EV event. Charger worked fine for me, I think I used 4B? Regardless not sure of the issue, as it was mobbed. The store is bursting with Model 3 deliveries, they have them parked everywhere, even in an overflow lot across the street.

First time I've ever seen a line for the SLC supercharger. (4pm, on a Saturday)

Reactions: camthehombre
In case you've ever wondered what the inside of a Supercharger cable looks like, here you go. From SLC about a week ago. As you can probably tell, this is the end of the cable where it attaches to the arch. I know that's only the exterior sheath, but still, I was surprised. But it gave a good strong charge. I reported it.
IMG_0336.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Fiver
I'm having trouble visualizing how these get used. Each pallet appears to have four chargers, two per side. But once a car is along one side of the pallet, it can use one charger, but blocks the other. Or am I missing something?
There are actually only 3 charging posts on each pallet, not 4. 2 on one side and 1 on the other. But not all posts are intended to be used at any specific installation and, in fact, only 2 of the 3 posts are wired up when they activate the pallet at a location. The extra is so that they can chose which 2 of the 3 will be accessible and this allows them to use the pallet in different orientations. It ensures 2 cars can charge in almost any parking layout.