Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Antonio, TX - East Basse Road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Guacahummus

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2020
Tex 📐
Last edited:
San Antonio - E Basse Rd, TX

Host Type: Mall
Host: Alamo Quarry Market
Along Primary Interstates: I-10, I-35
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-87, US-281
Along Auxiliary Interstates: I-410

I-10

To: Flatonia, TX (v2) - 95.7 miles
Diversion: 3.4 miles
To: Columbus, TX (v2) - 129.8 miles

I-35

To: Schertz, TX (v2) - 16.5 miles
Diversion: 3.5 miles
To: New Braunfels, TX - 32.1 miles

US-87

To: San Antonio, TX (v2) - 16.6 miles
Diversion: 2.8 miles
To: Leon Springs, TX (v2) - 25.4 miles

US-281

To: San Antonio - N Loop 1604 E, TX - 10.1 miles
Diversion: 0.4 miles
To: Johnson City - US-281, TX - 56.5 miles

Splitter (just) on I-10! Splits 103.2 miles, 10.9 miles from San Antonio, TX, 95.7 miles in Flatonia, TX.
Pathetic splitter on I-35! Splits 173.1 miles, 160.1 miles from Laredo, TX, 16.5 miles to Schertz, TX.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
@corywright @Big Earl @Chuq

Please update to 12 stalls

GENERAL PROJECT INFORMATION
Project Name:: Tesla - San Antonio, TX - E. Basse
Scope of Work: Tesla is proposing to install an commercial electric vehicle charging station within the existing parking lot of the shopping plaza. The project includes (12) charging posts, (3) charging cabinets, (1) switchgear assembly, (1) utility transformer and (1) utility meter. The cabinets, utility transformer and switchgear are proposed to be installed within a trex fence enclosure.

Because San Antonio has 60% of population in Houston, but only less than 30% of Super chargers of Houston.
60% vs 30%, don’t you think there could be some reasons behind it?
lots of ICE dealership owners and associations resisting is the biggest thing.
The first service center met concerted opposition and extended scrutiny even though it was a converted ICE dealership.
This one is the first DC fast charger inside the 410 loop to get approval - that takes concerted blocking.

lots of ICE dealership owners and associations resisting is the biggest thing.
The first service center met concerted opposition and extended scrutiny even though it was a converted ICE dealership.
This one is the first DC fast charger inside the 410 loop to get approval - that takes concerted blocking.
Since it did get permitted, does this mean it will be open in the predictable future?
What could be happening during the recent ~100 days?

Because San Antonio has 60% of population in Houston, but only less than 30% of Super chargers of Houston.
60% vs 30%, don’t you think there could be some reasons behind it?
San Antonio is 60% of Houston? No, try more like 30% considering the metro areas (which obviously include Superchargers also) for Houston is 7.1 million while metro San Antonio is 2.5 million. And with greater Houston having 18 Superchargers and greater San Antonio having 5 (or 6) Superchargers, that also works out to around 30%. So that all tracks.

San Antonio is simply smaller and less important than the bigger and more important city of Houston. That is the reason why Tesla has focused more resources towards Houston/Dallas/Austin than San Antonio and nothing else. There is no "conspiracy" or EV hate in San Antonio especially considering the big push by CoSA with all the clean energy and EV programs that currently have going.

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman
There is no "conspiracy" or EV hate in San Antonio especially considering the big push by CoSA with all the clean energy and EV programs that currently have going.
just remembering the service center that was only taking over a previous ICE dealer location, all of a sudden having to get extra ground water assessments "in case the batteries leaked" or the long protracted approvals process, because you know batteries leak much more often than engine oil.
The CoSA EV report they wrote way back in 2019 highlighted where DC fast chargers were most needed, progress made inside 410 loop = zero.
Draw a five mile circle around central SA and it shows zero, zip,nada fast chargers, not a single one.
Even College Station has more fast chargers than San Antonio and they didn't need an EV adoption report to figure it out.
You don't get that bad by accident, it takes effort.
But you never know, maybe I'm just cynical and maybe this will be the first of many...
:cool:

[edit]
it would appear that this indeed maybe the first of at least one more at least :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: CarlS and Cigar Man
just remembering the service center that was only taking over a previous ICE dealer location, all of a sudden having to get extra ground water assessments "in case the batteries leaked" or the long protracted approvals process, because you know batteries leak much more often than engine oil.
The CoSA EV report they wrote way back in 2019 highlighted where DC fast chargers were most needed, progress made inside 410 loop = zero.
Draw a five mile circle around central SA and it shows zero, zip,nada fast chargers, not a single one.
Even College Station has more fast chargers than San Antonio and they didn't need an EV adoption report to figure it out.
You don't get that bad by accident, it takes effort.
But you never know, maybe I'm just cynical and maybe this will be the first of many...
:cool:

[edit]
it would appear that this indeed maybe the first of at least one more at least :rolleyes:
San Antonio has 3 Superchargers, while College Station has 1 Supercharger. Have no idea why you think San Antonio has zero? Additionally, getting Superchargers closer towards downtown is an "issue" with all cities, not just San Antonio. If you're just looking at "inside the loops", then San Antonio has 0, Houston has 1, Dallas has 3, and Austin has 2 (or 3 if you want to count the bad one on South Congress). So that all tracks also. CoSA really loves their EVs, they just can't get Tesla or any of the other vendors to prioritize over the bigger and more important cities in Texas.

Reactions: Electroman