Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Antonio, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why can’t you believe it? CCS and CHAdeMO EVs are sold by auto dealers.

We don't have a Supercharger in San Antonio because Tesla hasn't put one there. I'm not buying this Red McCombs/TADA conspiracy theory. I have been intimately involved in San Antonio/Bexar politics for over 50 long years. There was a time (long ago) when Red and his ilk had control over such things in SA, but that time has long past. The "Good Government League" is LONG GONE. If Red called anyone at city hall he would be greeted politely and ignored. Now at the state level is another story, but if THAT was the problem then why are there Superchargers all over the state EXCEPT San Antonio?

Tesla is the problem, end of story.

• Informative
Reactions: GWord
Here is a better map. I can't believe EA beat Tesla to San Antonio. I will be using that EA location next time I drive in. I hope there's someplace to eat/drink nearby.

As soon as EA partnered with Walmart, it was obvious that they were going to be able to expand much easier than Tesla has. Almost all of their site scouting needs in much of the country were automatically taken care of. Not only did they know exactly where they were going to be put in, but they already had the property owner's permission. Both major, major advantages when it comes to expedited expansion. Also, a number of the sites might already have another third-party EV charger in the parking lot which means that the zoning/planning might have already been changed to accommodate EV charging as an allowed use. Thus pre-removing another hurdle in the gauntlet of building public charging infrastructure. However, the downside is that they lose the flexibility of looking for and choosing locations which offer the best available utility to the end users. If the Walmart is across town from the traffic on the interstate route they are trying to serve, then that traffic will just have to cross town. If there aren't any other shopping/food/activity choices there besides the Walmart, oh well. etc. Most of the time, those won't be major concerns because Walmart was already choosing their store sites for access and other "ramora" businesses, like fast food spots, tend to spring up right around them. And where these are potential issues, EA isn't forced to use the Walmart site. They may just decide that they'll find a better spot in that particular area at a non-Walmart spot.

My point being that it shouldn't at all be terribly surprising that EA is going to "beat" Tesla to installing EV charging in some locations. Tesla clearly has tried to get a supercharger installed in San Antonio in the past--see the discussion of the location on the 410 Loop--and supposedly they continue to do so, but for whatever reasons their previous attempts have fallen through.

For reference since these things are bound to come up now that this supercharger isn't happening in 2018:

Junction to Flatonia is 201 miles on I-10, and 195 miles going through San Marcos.
You add 20 minuets going through San Marcos, and traffic in San Antonio and around San Marcos can stack up at rush hour times.
This also makes the legs Junction to San Marcos 134 miles, and San Marcos to Flatonia 64 miles. Just FYI, San Marcos to the Columbus supercharger is 98 miles, so you could skip Flatonia in that case.

San Marcos to Laredo is 198 miles on I-35, and once you get outside of San Antonio there is minimal charging infrastructure going south.
Has anyone validated the charger in Cotulla that appears on PlugShare but not on the Tesla website works or is there?

Otherwise, here is the link for the CHAdeMO addapter, which at the time of this posting is going for $602.

The frustrating part of all of this is how lack of big picture this shows that Tesla sees. This links I-10 driving, I-35 driving and is the ONLY city in the US in the top 25 in population without a Supercharger within 50 miles of its city center.
It also makes the drive from and to Houston (a very popular route in the state), nearly undriveable without getting creative with your charging around the city.

Does anybody know where the executive escalation went within the MyTesla dashboard, as it seems it's gone away from mine after posting a question about the Fort Stockton charger a few months ago?

Is there a better chance that the Supercharger in Boerne will be built? If so, then this Supercharger would relieve all the pressure for the I-10 traveler. Save us from having to detour to San Marcos, even though we by-pass SA by using the 1604. I am thinking that Boerne would be easier than using Selma if it is ever built.

How does that help a Tesla owner. Do you have a chadmo adapter?
We have some EA installed here in Sulfur LA just the other month. Wife and I went to take a look. OMG they look hideous! Then there is the price. Here they want $1.00 hook up fee, along with $0.34 kWh. Oh and there's tax on that. So, a 100kWh model x will cost over $40.00 for 295 miles. .. and that's their introductory pricing.

• Informative
Reactions: Graffi
This also makes the legs Junction to San Marcos 134 miles, and San Marcos to Flatonia 64 miles. Just FYI, San Marcos to the Columbus supercharger is 98 miles, so you could skip Flatonia in that case.

Until San Marcos is updated, I wouldn't advise anyone to depend on it by skipping another opportunity. Wouldn't be prudent.

Otherwise, here is the link for the CHAdeMO addapter, which at the time of this posting is going for $602.

That appears to be the Canadian site. US price is under $500

The frustrating part of all of this is how lack of big picture this shows that Tesla sees. This links I-10 driving, I-35 driving and is the ONLY city in the US in the top 25 in population without a Supercharger within 50 miles of its city center.
It also makes the drive from and to Houston (a very popular route in the state), nearly undriveable without getting creative with your charging around the city.

Does anybody know where the executive escalation went within the MyTesla dashboard, as it seems it's gone away from mine after posting a question about the Fort Stockton charger a few months ago?

Indeed

For those staying in San Antonio the DCs may be the only option for awhile.

Selma, Dilley, Uvalde and Boerne will some day add significantly to the SC encirclement of San Antonio for those heading through town.
( I made up the Uvalde one - but it makes sense.)

Perhaps I'm wrong about organized Tesla resistance within San Antonio - but the evidence suggests not.

SC redundancy is still an issue in Texas. If a remote SC is down there are few options.

Anybody notice that there are no tire stops in Flatonia? I almost popped a pedestal there on Friday. Yes, I know - dumbass.

For those staying in San Antonio the DCs may be the only option for awhile.

Selma, Dilley, Uvalde and Boerne will some day add significantly to the SC encirclement of San Antonio for those heading through town.
( I made up the Uvalde one - but it makes sense.)

Perhaps I'm wrong about organized Tesla resistance within San Antonio - but the evidence suggests not.

SC redundancy is still an issue in Texas. If a remote SC is down there are few options.

Anybody notice that there are no tire stops in Flatonia? I almost popped a pedestal there on Friday. Yes, I know - dumbass.
I had never noticed the lack of tire stops in Flatonia. I guess I see them as an obstacle rather than rely on them for positioning. If I'm at an unfamiliar Supercharger, I don't really know if maybe some contractor put in stops that are too tall and will do damage. I back up just as I would to a regular curb, then see I'm too far away to connect and keep backing up. No tire stop -- I guess I just back up like I normally would.

Regarding charging in SA, there are a number of slow Chargepoint facilities, as well as the Destination Charging. Normally I don't recommend CHAdeMO chargers at Nissan dealers, but the staff at the ONE in Boerne are very welcoming to Teslas. They always come by and say hi, and have offered coffee and restrooms. The only time I felt uncomfortable was when a Leaf owner pulled up to charge, but he was not in a hurry and was more interested in seeing the Tesla and showing off his Leaf, so by the time all that was done, we were ready to leave.

I laughed a little at your suggestion of a Supercharger in Uvalde. Yes it makes sense, but I had never thought anyone else (especially Tesla) would think so.

The best bet for location at this point is probably the Rudy's in Selma. It is less than 2 miles off of 1604, which is probably going to be used by people traveling I-10, and it's directly off of I-35, so it's good for that as well. It's a bit outside of the city proper, but it's as close as you are going to get without going to one of the incorporated cities surrounded by the city proper. (Alamo Heights, Hollywood Park, etc.)
It also gets around being in San Antonio and under whatever control the car lobby may have on the city proper for getting permits shut down.
Tesla has also partnered with Rudy's on 2 locations in Houston, so it would fit the mold there as well. Not sure if anyone knows anyone at Rudy's management or could ask, but maybe this is where we start?