Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Antonio, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I know right. It's almost like people who are going to actively use this thing have an opinion. What goof balls... :rolleyes:

More histrionics from the San Antonio crowd.

The San Marcos detour literally adds 8 miles to the I-10 crossing.

I'm not under the impression that many Tesla owners are driving from Austin to Laredo, but if you are, you'd want a new supercharger in Dilley, not San Antonio.

So back to my point, the San Antonio supercharger would be useful for serving a metro area for trip to SA and back. But it isn't really needed for cross country interstate travel.

San Marcos adds a half a hour, not just 8 miles. And not all owners are going down to Laredo, please see the previous post about cars with Mexico plates coming up to San Antonio to shop on a weekend at La Centera.

As for the idea that somehow the A to B to A trips in and out of San Antonio somehow aren't as important as the 'crossing through' trips, I'm going to have to disagree. If you've got a 500 mile trip and it's going one direction or a 500 mile trip and it's both directions, why does that matter to the fact that this is still a huge hole in the trip?

Reactions: CarlS
San Marcos adds a half a hour, not just 8 miles. And not all owners are going down to Laredo, please see the previous post about cars with Mexico plates coming up to San Antonio to shop on a weekend at La Centera.
I’d like to see more hotels have charging for weekend trips. I’d pay $20 for a confirmed overnight charging spot.

Still, a supercharger would be nice.

Reactions: byeLT4
I’d like to see more hotels have charging for weekend trips. I’d pay $20 for a confirmed overnight charging spot.

Still, a supercharger would be nice.
They used to have a promotion where they would send out equipt + subsidize $2500 for installation, we've used their installers number of times, and paid for charger installs at our hotels, they have now stopped that program, and its almost too costly to put in now, unless we put in our new builds which we've done

Drove through the Huebner Oaks location today. No activity found.

There are several good locations in the parking lot. There is an odd corner lot that was probably supposed to be an employee parking area that is totally unused. That is where the building transformers are located. At first I thought there was no public access from there to the center, but then realized there is a break at the Starbucks location to get to other businesses.
upload_2019-3-18_22-54-47.png

• Informative
Reactions: CarlS and mociaf9
I meant to post this a couple days ago.
It's that Huebner parking lot, but closer to the Chipotle (I eat there weekly).
The paint looks very fresh, but I have no idea if it's Supercharger related.
This parking lot is never even close to full, so the parking spots wouldn't be missed except by some Chipotle customers who would have to park negligibly further away.

IMG_20190317_184732.jpg

Alejandro Zuboff - Twitter 26 December 2018 said:
Any plans to build charging stations in Texas in 2019 ? (San Antonio / Austin in particular) The map shows there are several planned, but 2018 is over and none of those were built (and yes, I know there are notes for each that schedule might slip.)

Elon Musk - Twitter 26 December 2018 said:
Definitely. All major highways in Texas will have Superchargers, all the way to Brownsville & across Mexico.

One quarter down and Texas (not a big state population wise or anything...) now has fewer supercharger stations than it started the year with, thanks to the closure in Ft. Worth.

Live in a Austin, Dallas, San Antonio or Houston and want to go pick your kids up from college in Lubbock or College Station with all of their stuff in your Model X or S this spring, nope, no superchargers there.
Not to mention wanting a quick charge in Austin after picking up the kids, there's a line with your name on it.
Coming in to San Antonio from Mexico or Houston and want to come in and then head back home, nope, no superchargers there.
Making a road trip to New Orleans for a festival or long weekend, nope, no supercharger there either (Slidell is close though).
Taking a weekend trip up to Fredericksburg to go try some wine this spring, nope, no superchargers there.
Using your car in camper mode to go to Big Bend National park, nope, no supercharger even planned near there.
Driving from Austin to Houston in your brand new base Model 3, better learn to hyper-mill or slow down and turn off the AC this summer because there's no supercharger in between (Brenham).

This coming from a company that keeps wanting to make inroads in to Texas, but yet puts no new investment in the state and then assumes the local owners will show up to push for legislative changes that positively effect the company.
Don't get me wrong, I really want to see Tesla do well and succeed, but come on Tesla, 11 new superchargers in 3 months in California, and -1 in Texas doesn't give the people here a lot to get behind.

Last edited:
<Tesla’s service in Texas is now safe after pressure from owners against weird new bill>

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This right here^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is what I meant for my, the owners come through and help out the company, but the company then adds 0 new superchargers to the state. And I don't know about the V3 superchargers putting the new superchargers on hold, since the announcement, early March, California has had 6 new superchargers begin construction and others get permitted. Doesn't look like it's slowing things down there at all...

Reactions: plumazul
<Tesla’s service in Texas is now safe after pressure from owners against weird new bill>

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This right here^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is what I meant for my, the owners come through and help out the company, but the company then adds 0 new superchargers to the state. And I don't know about the V3 superchargers putting the new superchargers on hold, since the announcement, early March, California has had 6 new superchargers begin construction and others get permitted. Doesn't look like it's slowing things down there at all...

I agree, but Calis issue is local people charging and not so much the need for travel. They just need more chargers whether they are v1 or 3.

Initially I was excited to see construction in the Huebner Oaks Center parking lot, but they are just doing repaving work.
IMG_20190405_114543139_HDR.jpg

I saw the painted numbering noticed by @JustAGuy89 and, while I'd love to have a 46 stall Supercharger installation (that's how many spaces are numbered) I don't think so. It's also pretty close to Chipotle, so they might not like their parking to be taken away. Maybe they were planning to rearrange the striping after the whole lot is repaved?

The area behind the center isn't likely to be used soon. They are dumping debris from the paving there.

• Informative
Reactions: CarlS and mociaf9
One quarter down and Texas (not a big state population wise or anything...) now has fewer supercharger stations than it started the year with, thanks to the closure in Ft. Worth.

Live in a Austin, Dallas, San Antonio or Houston and want to go pick your kids up from college in Lubbock or College Station with all of their stuff in your Model X or S this spring, nope, no superchargers there.
- It's 244 miles roundtrip from the Sweetwater SC to Lubbock, and there's 10 Superchargers immediately surrounding College Station with the San Marcos SC being the furthest at 250 miles roundtrip. Obviously you'll need the long range Tesla models charged to nearly 100% but it's definitely doable.

Coming in to San Antonio from Mexico or Houston and want to come in and then head back home, nope, no superchargers there.
- I've done this just fine going the opposite way (San Antonio to Kemah and back). Just had to charge almost full at the Columbus SC and then charge again at Columbus coming back.

Making a road trip to New Orleans for a festival or long weekend, nope, no supercharger there either (Slidell is close though).
- Just charge in Slidell or Baton Rouge and you'll be fine. However if staying for the entire weekend driving around NO then staying at a destination charger or AirBnB with 240V outlet would be required.

Taking a weekend trip up to Fredericksburg to go try some wine this spring, nope, no superchargers there.
- For people coming from San Antonio or Austin there's no charging need. For Dallas or Houston folks they can just charge at the San Marcos or Austin SC.

Using your car in camper mode to go to Big Bend National park, nope, no supercharger even planned near there.
- Everytime I used my car in "camper mode" at other parks, I made sure to reserve an RV spot to plug into the 50 amp hookup overnight. For Big Bend I would just charge at the Fort Stockton SC and do the rest of the charging at one of the Big Bend RV spots.

Driving from Austin to Houston in your brand new base Model 3, better learn to hyper-mill or slow down and turn off the AC this summer because there's no supercharger in between (Brenham).
- Why did you ignore the Columbus SC? I always hit up the Columbus SC when going in between Austin-Houston or San Antonio-Houston.

All of those routes are doable with a long range Tesla as long as you plan ahead, drive conservatively, and charge at the nearest SC so you can make the roundtrip back to the SC. You don't actually "need" a SC at the final destinations to make it work. It simply just adds more convenience. Not saying SC aren't "needed" in those locations because more Superchargers is better for everybody, but it's not as logistically impossible right now as you make it seem.

Reactions: PLUS EV and tmoz
electricglider, you’ve both missed and proven my point. You used the following phrases to try to claim these work:

“Obviously you’ll need the long range Tesla models”
“Just fine going the opposite way”
“Staying at a destination charger or AirBnB with 240V outlet would be required”

That’s the point here. Not everyone has a long range car, or is making that trip in the opposite direction or is planning to stay at an AirBnB with a 240V outlet. My point was, Tesla has sold a lot of Model 3’s in Texas as anyone driving around Houston could attest to, and the fact that Tesla, now going on 1/3rd of the year has installed -1 Superchargers in the state is a joke. Tesla sold a lot of cars (Model S and X) that are now years old and don’t have 300+ mile range and even sell Model 3’s today with 240 miles of range, so installing a fraction of the amount they’ve put in California this year alone would go a long way to making it much easier to recommend this car to those we know and for everyone to be able to use whichever model they have.

Finally, the entire point of this forum is the San Antonio supercharger, and as of now, on all but the highest range cars driving very economically, there is still no way to drive FROM HOUSTON in to San Antonio and back (not the opposite direction).

Finally, the entire point of this forum is the San Antonio supercharger, and as of now, on all but the highest range cars driving very economically, there is still no way to drive FROM HOUSTON in to San Antonio and back (not the opposite direction).
I'd add the caveat that one can do this if one uses a charge point charger in San Antonio. So there is a way, just not using Tesla superchargers exclusively.

• Disagree
Reactions: TriNerd
electricglider, you’ve both missed and proven my point. You used the following phrases to try to claim these work:

“Obviously you’ll need the long range Tesla models”
“Just fine going the opposite way”
“Staying at a destination charger or AirBnB with 240V outlet would be required”

That’s the point here. Not everyone has a long range car, or is making that trip in the opposite direction or is planning to stay at an AirBnB with a 240V outlet. My point was, Tesla has sold a lot of Model 3’s in Texas as anyone driving around Houston could attest to, and the fact that Tesla, now going on 1/3rd of the year has installed -1 Superchargers in the state is a joke. Tesla sold a lot of cars (Model S and X) that are now years old and don’t have 300+ mile range and even sell Model 3’s today with 240 miles of range, so installing a fraction of the amount they’ve put in California this year alone would go a long way to making it much easier to recommend this car to those we know and for everyone to be able to use whichever model they have.

You never made a point about limited to just the non-long range models. You were speaking as if you cannot do those trips on any Tesla Models. I already showed that all of your "nope" Texas travel situations are indeed possible.

As far as driving from Houston into San Antonio and back.... what does it matter if its in the opposite direction or not? As long as you just charge in Columbus/Flatonia you are perfectly fine. That's exactly what I did when I went from San Antonio to Kemah and back, and I could do the exact same thing going from Kemah to San Antonio and back. The direction of travel is exactly the same distance so I don't get why you think it's impossible one way but not the other. Maybe you assumed I supercharged in Houston but I did not.

Again my point is that it is possible, but never did I say its an ideal or convenient situation. Tesla has already laid out the SC locations in Texas along the major routes to make it possible to travel which did not include San Antonio. The next step is simply making it more convenient and/or possible for short-range Teslas.