Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Antonio, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If we can schedule this out just far enough, we could get a good turnout. If we can get big enough “confirmed” turnout, possibly someone from the Tesla store will join us. And maybe, just maybe, they can have a Mobile Service vehicle there as well. I’ve read about service vehicles being sent to SC stations where large crowds are expected.

Someone had mentioned having a meet-and-greet once the SC is up and running. Are folks still interested in that? If so, I personally, and probably other out of towners would need about a week heads up to make that.

It would be great to have a get together. McAllen doesn’t have very many Tesla’s so, yea, would love to meet a bunch of others in the Tesla family.

There is this thread, though it doesn't seem to have gotten much traction:

Tesla in RGV

I will talk to Tiffany at service and see if they are willing to do something once we have a solid date. Either her or Cassandra should be able to hook us up.

Speaking of having a solid date, when should that solid date be? It seems like all we're waiting on now is final inspection and commissioning, so can we reasonably expect it to be open by Labor Day? Should we wait until the power is on before planning a gathering?

Speaking of having a solid date, when should that solid date be? It seems like all we're waiting on now is final inspection and commissioning, so can we reasonably expect it to be open by Labor Day? Should we wait until the power is on before planning a gathering?
There will be no solid date. It will just open at some point and then you guys can plan your gathering.

• Helpful
Reactions: bollar
Went by today and there was a CPS truck sitting by the transformer/meter. I stopped and asked what they were there to do and the guy was nice and told me that they were there to prewire the meter. he checked his paperwork to see if there was a meter install date mentioned but none was shown. he did say that after the prewire the meter install usually happened pretty soon after that. At that point I guess it will be up to Tesla.

20190819_135105 (1)-small.jpg

Went by today and there was a CPS truck sitting by the transformer/meter. I stopped and asked what they were there to do and the guy was nice and told me that they were there to prewire the meter. he checked his paperwork to see if there was a meter install date mentioned but none was shown. he did say that after the prewire the meter install usually happened pretty soon after that. At that point I guess it will be up to Tesla.

View attachment 443986
Nice. Thanks for this info. I'm heading to San Antonio on Saturday. *Fingers crossed*

Reactions: rafacq
I drove by this location early in the morning (so no photos) and it looks to me that all they need to do is remove the construction fence, remove the black bags on the signs, clean up the construction debris, and turn the power switch on. Ten one side access chargers with several currently marked for handicapped parking. It should be any moment now.

I know that this is about to change but does anyone know why a town the size of San Antonio had to wait so long to get a supercharger near the actual city. Looking at the map of the US and the next largest city without one is Lubbock and then the "major cities without a supercharger close" become very small. Any idea on why we had to wait so long?

I know that this is about to change but does anyone know why a town the size of San Antonio had to wait so long to get a supercharger near the actual city. Looking at the map of the US and the next largest city without one is Lubbock and then the "major cities without a supercharger close" become very small. Any idea on why we had to wait so long?

No one here has the answer.

Bruce W: If you research comments by San Antonio's resident billionaire car dealer on this issue you may find an answer to your question.

These may help get you started:

Tesla Gets Snubbed Out of Texas (the quote just above the swimsuit babe is interesting)

Texas Trouble For Tesla Motors (TSLA): Here Are The Two Men (And Two PACs) Who Funded Most Car Dealer Contributions To Texas Lawmakers

Texas' political winds blowing against Tesla's business model

And much more if you care to dig deeper.

City Councils, zoning commissions, tree-preservation commissions, and other local municipal entities are quite easily....ahem...."influenced" by politically connected individuals - as are State officials as described in the articles above.

.......and for those here who still don't believe me - please research a bit, then we'll talk.

Ok, so I talked to the service center and they said that it would not be possible to provide a mobile maintenance vehicle for the meet up. They are just so busy with the mobile maintenance that they are actually booked up to a week out. Also, they are not involved with the supercharger process and have no insight as to when the inspection and test charging will occur. I believe that is up to people up in Austin.

The 7 stalls in the front are up and running! Ran into 4 other owners while visiting. Tech said that the 3 stalls to the left won't be up and running for about 1 - 2 more weeks. Still seems like there's a bit more work to do before they're added to the maps. They still don't have stall numbers on the bottom.

Attachments

• 20190822_114422.jpg
    20190822_114422.jpg
    824.3 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: CarlS and Utexas98