Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Antonio, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, any long-distance traveler passing through trying to use this SC from say, 8am-6pm during a weekday is likely to be one unhappy person. They're been occasions where it's taken me 4-5 minutes just to go 410 off-ramp->access road-> Best Buy.

Every time the discussion turns to traffic, I get really homesick.
I think the "long-distance travelers" will be just fine. They will probably ENJOY San Antonio traffic.

1430SAtraffic.PNG
1530DCtraffic.PNG

I want to begin by saying I don't mean for this post to read as angry as I know it's about to. So please read this in your calming voice, not your angry Gilbert Gottfried voice.

<<https://webapps1.sanantonio.gov/bipi2/Reviews.aspx?PermitNbr=2318667>>

Assuming that is the permit, which from post #41 this appears to be the case, then I have got to ask, what is going on and who can we contact to find out more? The permit shows three areas still to be resolved: aviation, building and tree.

Aviation is understandable as this is which 1 mile of the airport, but there is an email address and a simple look at any Supercharger construction would tell you no crane or additional height to the existing structure will be involved, so I'm not sure how this is still a hold up.

Building is more complicated but has 4 main questions
1) is concrete work required
2) inspection for concrete work
3) authorization from utility companies (granted this could take a while and may be holding this piece up)
4) set up a meeting with (name withheld) and (number withheld) to go over the above comments (again this could be a hold up but this is unknown and speculation at best)

Tree has an inspection scheduled for 11/1/2017 so i'm not entirely sure how that is still holding this up unless the inspection has follow ups which aren't listed here.

My point with all of this is it seems as if San Antonio is being very open and upfront about what needs to be met in order to get construction started but someone is not getting them the desired paperwork and I'm curious if this is common about getting this Supercharger built.

Is Tesla waiting and staggering the builds in order to fund them as they deem them necessary or is this a matter of waiting for the permitting and logistical issues and this will get built as soon as those are complete?

Sorry for the long post and thanks to anyone with any answers.

Marking utilities In front of the Tesla Store on I10 West

23011 I-10, San Antonio, TX 78257

WORKING ON THE N SIDE OF THE DEALERSHIP, IN FRONT OF THE PROPERTY, BETWEEN THE ROAD AND THE SIDEWALK. PLEASE LOCATE EVERYTHING FROM THE NEW ELECTRICAL POLE TO THE PROPOSED CONCRETE PAD, APPROX 200 FT N.
Can you clarify what this is? I see no newly opened permits for this address. Where is this text from?

Reactions: Chuq
Given that there is a proposed SC in the area (Walden Meadows, 2 miles away) I'm going to guess that this is it - remembering grey markers are only approximate) and they're adding a SC to the Tesla store.
We did think that would be the case for a long time, and were excited when the Service Center was being built when the contractor said they were putting in a Supercharger. As is often the case, the contractor did not know what a Supercharger was, and they were installing a series of HPWC's.

While it is possible there is space for a Supercharger on this property, it would take away the precious little amount of parking they have at this location. They could pave a part of the newly landscaped area on the north side near the parking lot entrance, but the utilities all run under that area.

Not much will happen until there is a permit, and there is not one at this point. They do not need a permit to think about it, and perhaps they are determining what it would take to either move the incoming utilities or build over them.

I, personally, would love to have a Supercharger in this location. I have heard of issues at a few other Service Center/Supercharger locations with service cars being left parked in Supercharger stalls overnight, but I don't think this one would be a problem since they already have a number of HPWC's installed here.

It has now been exactly 1 month since my previous post (#65) and I rechecked the permit, still aviation, building and tree. Interesting that not one of those moved in a month. Seems like San Antonio may not be a priority at this point as Chicago's had 3 open in the last month, Dallas currently has 3 under construction and the Bay area, which has 4 open already, has 4 more under construction. I understand Tesla following the numbers, so could it be lack of demand for San Antonio is the reason Tesla isn't pressing here?

As for building at the Service Center, that would be nice too, but LCR1, where is that text from as many of us on this forum would love for that to be true?

As for building at the Service Center, that would be nice too, but LCR1, where is that text from as many of us on this forum would love for that to be true?
Now that I look again at the post from @LCR1 I realize that is an 811 request to locate utilities. I don't know how to access that info. No idea what or where the "proposed concrete pad" might be.

All of my stuff is 811 requests. It's the fool proof way to know where "something" is getting built. 99% of the time they will do a utility search to find the best place to put it, then apply for permitting. No matter what they need to submit a request 48 hours before breaking ground and they have 14 days to begin work.

Okay, the SA Service Center is the location for the Supercharger .I have no doubts, but others can look at these photos and make up your own mind .

There is a new power pole in place. There is no other connection to the building from this pole .there is a trench from the pole leading across to the area behind the small security fence where multiple large conduits are sticking up from what is framed as a future concrete pad .

There is a short section of conduit running towards the building, but it ends at the parking lot slab and does not go to the building .
IMG_20180211_101651.jpg
IMG_20180211_101427.jpg
IMG_20180211_101303.jpg
IMG_20180211_101138.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: benjiejr and CarlS
I suppose it is possible that this is a simple reworking of the power coming into the building. It confuses me that there is no permit for Supercharger construction. There are still open permits for the electrical work on the building. Is it possible they can include Supercharger installation under that open permit? I don't know.

I suppose it is possible that this is a simple reworking of the power coming into the building. It confuses me that there is no permit for Supercharger construction. There are still open permits for the electrical work on the building. Is it possible they can include Supercharger installation under that open permit? I don't know.

The people working there seem friendly enough. I suppose I could just call them and ask?

All of my stuff is 811 requests. It's the fool proof way to know where "something" is getting built. 99% of the time they will do a utility search to find the best place to put it, then apply for permitting. No matter what they need to submit a request 48 hours before breaking ground and they have 14 days to begin work.
Absolutely right! Thanks for catching this. I usually glance over there when driving by, about once a week, but I'm not sure I would have caught it. Still not 100% sure until I see equipment crates, although I suppose they could be inside, or there is a container behind the building (although that could have already been there).