Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Antonio, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back for my now monthly post wondering about the lack of progress here (post 65 and 72 previously) and the fact that the permit shows no movement in now 5 months, tells me this is likely not going to get done without some major push of Tesla's end. The fact that the tree inspection piece isn't done after an inspection on 11/1 (and keep in mind this is being built in a parking lot), tells me we could be looking at a Fort Stockton situation in San Antonio as well. I guess my question now is, does anybody know of a place to use a destination charger in or around town that doesn't require a stay with that hotel? I don't mind going in to have lunch or frequenting their business, but I don't need a $200+ room for the night in order to be able to charge. Thanks again to everyone writing updates as they come in, and sorry again about no Supercharger install at the service center. Until 4/8.

<https://webapps1.sanantonio.gov/bipi2/Reviews.aspx?PermitNbr=2318667>

Has Tesla submitted for the tree preservation permit? If they haven't submitted it then it will be denied.
They haven't responded if there will be a crane used, or if the overall height of the property will increase.
They cited there will be no concrete work, however within the work permit they mention installing concrete pads, which contradicts itself. They also need written permission to build over easements for existing utilities.

Seems pretty simple to fix.

Back for my now monthly post wondering about the lack of progress here (post 65 and 72 previously) and the fact that the permit shows no movement in now 5 months, tells me this is likely not going to get done without some major push of Tesla's end. The fact that the tree inspection piece isn't done after an inspection on 11/1 (and keep in mind this is being built in a parking lot), tells me we could be looking at a Fort Stockton situation in San Antonio as well. I guess my question now is, does anybody know of a place to use a destination charger in or around town that doesn't require a stay with that hotel? I don't mind going in to have lunch or frequenting their business, but I don't need a $200+ room for the night in order to be able to charge. Thanks again to everyone writing updates as they come in, and sorry again about no Supercharger install at the service center. Until 4/8.

<https://webapps1.sanantonio.gov/bipi2/Reviews.aspx?PermitNbr=2318667>
Can you be more specific as to what you are looking for as far as a destination charger? SA is not great for charging sites, but there are too many to just give a random list. Along I-10? Passing through own or staying? Local and don't have a place to charge? Do you have a CHAdeMO adapter?

BerTX, I'll be staying for a few days with family north of 1604. I don't have a CHAdeMO adapter, but I also only see only place where that could be used is at a dealership for non-Tesla's so I don't think they'd be keen on me using that one. Looks like an afternoon downtown at the Hotel Havana or a dinner at El Mirador are the best bets unless I want to use the CharePoint network. Has anyone used those locations before? Are they usually in working order, ICE'd, or available to patrons in the first place? I think i'll fully top off in Flatonia then get enough electrons in San Antonio to make it back on the way back to Houston.

BerTX, I'll be staying for a few days with family north of 1604. I don't have a CHAdeMO adapter, but I also only see only place where that could be used is at a dealership for non-Tesla's so I don't think they'd be keen on me using that one. Looks like an afternoon downtown at the Hotel Havana or a dinner at El Mirador are the best bets unless I want to use the CharePoint network. Has anyone used those locations before? Are they usually in working order, ICE'd, or available to patrons in the first place? I think i'll fully top off in Flatonia then get enough electrons in San Antonio to make it back on the way back to Houston.

I've been told that I'm welcome to use the chargers at the SC on I-10 whenever I'm in town, if that's convenient for you. Also many of the area HEBs have CPS sponsored Level II chargers which you can use while shopping or eating at the associated strip malls.

Last edited:

Mark,
I drove to San Antonio to attend a conference a couple of months ago and was able to charge at the Hyatt hotel that's connected to the convention center. On the destination charging page it is listed as for hotel guests only but they'll happily let you Valet park there and charge your car without staying at the hotel.
It's not a cheap place to park, though. It cost $40 for a full day of parking.

• Informative
Reactions: CarlS
I've been told that I'm welcome to use the chargers at the SC on I-10 whenever I'm in town, if that's convenient for you. Also many of the area HEBs have CPS sponsored Level II chargers which you can use while shopping or eating at the associated strip malls.
There are Chargepoint chargers at Kohl's and Whole Foods. I know the Kohl's one requires a Chargepoint card to activate, but it is free.

• Informative
Reactions: vrykolas and CarlS
Does anybody have any information on why the permit dot showed up for 'Boerne'? It looks like it's about half way between San Antonio and Boerne, and 5 miles from the service center, but there is no conversation set up for it yet. Could this be Tesla's end around San Antonio in order to get something through the permit stage by placing it as close as they can to the city without going though what seems to be a nightmare of a backlog for the city proper?

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Does anybody have any information on why the permit dot showed up for 'Boerne'? It looks like it's about half way between San Antonio and Boerne, and 5 miles from the service center, but there is no conversation set up for it yet. Could this be Tesla's end around San Antonio in order to get something through the permit stage by placing it as close as they can to the city without going though what seems to be a nightmare of a backlog for the city proper?

Supercharger - Boerne, TX

So after post on 1/8, 2/8 and 3/8, I figured I would post today to see if anyone had any updates, which now that we are going on 4 months and not a single part of the permit has been updated, is starting to get ridiculous. This includes the "tree" portion of the permit which was scheduled for last November, and still has not been completed. This with the understanding that we can't get a tree approval for excavation in a parking lot. Just a guess here, but the I-10 stretch through Texas doesn't seem to be a priority for Tesla. I feel your pain Ft. Stockton message board. Hopefully we can see some progress by the end of summer. Thanks to everyone on the board here for your updates, they are genuinely appreciated.

So on the new "FindUs" map the Supercharger near Boerne has been pushed out to 2019 but a new one near Selma has been added for this year. It's nice to know that notwithstanding the lack of progress, somebody is thinking of us.

Also the Fort Stockton and Pecos Superchargers are now listed as Summer of 2018.

Has anyone used the public destination chargers at this location? This would be another option to driving out to the service center to use theirs.

Stewart Shopping Center

5120 Broadway St San Antonio, Texas 78209
Charging
2 Tesla Connectors, up to 16kW.
Available to the public. Self park.

Reactions: Schmo
I guess my question now is, does anybody know of a place to use a destination charger in or around town that doesn't require a stay with that hotel?

I want to donate a “crowdsource Destination HPWC” and a 100Amp breaker towards its installation. Light a candle, etc.

My question is, does anyone have a suggestion of a sympathetic, accessible, free, no-fuss location? Especially where someone could/would “set a spell.” We’ve had good utilization of the CHAdeMO Adapter I placed in New Orleans (yep that was me)... It sounds like somewhere in SA will be similarly helpful. I hadn’t expected such a delay in SA SuC placement.
I’ll also be looking at Luling but am not restricting my project to Texas. Especially if I acquire more than one.

Sorry for the semi OT content. But Mark’s plea really points out a need. And there are sooo many “destinations” in the city...

Reactions: Dr. J
SW2Fiddler, if a HPWC for public use is going in near 410 and I-35, as Dgeorges00 suggests, then the next place to start to look would be some place off 281, up near 1604. It’s well known that on I-10 at the service center they will allow owners to charge as they understand many of us are coming from out of town and either passing through, or staying with family. So this takes care of the outside 1604 on the west side. There is a SLOW (20 mph of charge) ChargePoint station at the Whole Foods near the 281 &1604 interchange and the electric is paid for by Whole Foods as an incentive to bring customers in (this also gives bathroom and food options), so that could be a start. This is also an area, and I don’t mean to offend, where a lot of potential Tesla owners might live and frequent.

It’s honestly a joke that a city this size, as well as a major through fare for both I-10 and I-35 traffic, doesn’t have a single supercharger, which will only get worse if/when Fort Stockton gets completed. Oh well, maybe they’ll just open another in Los Angels less than 5 miles from yet another one already on line.