Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Antonio, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Delighted if this is built, but frankly it seems a bizarre and, for highway travel, a *um* suboptimal location. 6 minutes off of I-35 and nowhere near any East-West routes or loops that would be used for I-10 travel. I don't doubt this is needed, but IMHO it is not needed FIRST.

It is an odd location. Maybe Walmart is paying to have these put in? I would think central or on a freeway.

BTW - would it be Selma and not San Antonio - Supercharger - Selma, TX

Walmart told me this was an Electrify America / VW site. Source at Walmart hadn't a clue about Superchargers.
If EA-only site, it will have Chademo and Frankenplug.
Yeah, lots of conflicting info. 811 permit clearly says Tesla. Building permit says 10 chargers. Is EA putting in that many at a location? I haven't paid that much attention. Could still be both EA and Teslla.

Edit: Looked at existing EA sites and 10 chargers is within the range of what is being installed.

Last edited:
With Fort Stockton kicking off and the message board there blowing up, has anyone been able to get to any of the 3 sites mentioned above to see if anything is going on? I'm not back in town there for a few months, so any pictures would be most appreciated.

@BlueShift some clean up is needed for the San Antonio area.
Currently there are 4 message boards tied to 2 incorrect locations being used for 3 separate Supercharger discussions.

1) The San Antonio Supercharger needs to move to:
San Antonio TX Wal-mart
4331 Thousand Oaks Dr at Uhr Ln

with the permit here <City of San Antonio - Permit Detail> as a reference.
This discussion thread should be connected to that link.
-currently in Permit phase

2) The Selma Supercharger needs to be located at:
Schertz TX HEB Grocery
17460 N I-35 Frontage at Roy Richard Dr

with the discussion thread <Supercharger - Selma, TX> used for that permit/construction discussion.

3) The Bourne Supercharger should be moved to:
Leon Spring TX HEB Grocery
23783 I-10 at Boerne Stage Road

with the discussion threads <Supercharger - Boerne, TX> and <San Antonio IH-10 Supercharger> used for the permit/construction discussion.

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV
2) The Selma Supercharger needs to be located at:
Schertz TX HEB Grocery
17460 N I-35 Frontage at Roy Richard Dr

3) The Bourne Supercharger should be moved to:
Leon Spring TX HEB Grocery
23783 I-10 at Boerne Stage Road

Just had a look at these two links and both appear to be surveying. From other posts in this forum these don't always result in a supercharger and usually aren't listed? Other Texas forum regulars may know for sure though...

We are still not 100% sure that the location at 4331 Thousand Oaks Dr at Uhr Ln is a Tesla site. But we don't have long to wait since the permit is just about done.

Has anyone taken a look at that site lately?

From the examiner comments under electrical:
1) Chapter 10, Building Related Codes, Section 10-8(a)(6)-Electrical plans shall be prepared by a licensed, professional engineer registered with the State of Texas if the installation exceeds 600 amps at up to 250 volts, or exceeds 400 amps at greater than 250 volts: The service is rated for 3000 amps. The electrical sheets will need to be sealed by a licensed, professional engineer registered with the State of Texas.

The site plan is for 10 chargers (5 boxes?) Is 3,000 amps about right for superchargers? That's about twice the max continuous operation value. This also seems way more than what Electrify America normally installs.

Last edited:
From the examiner comments under electrical:

The site plan is for 10 chargers (5 boxes?) Is 3,000 amps about right for superchargers? That's about twice the max continuous operation value. This also seems way more than what Electrify America normally installs.
I don't think there is a "normal" for EA yet. They certainly have 10 charger sites already constructed. And in Walmarts.

Just a follow up to the previous post about correcting the San Antonio area permits, shouldn't we then have the permit removed from the current Boerne, TX location as it sounds like even a survey there is premature and it's purely word of mouth speculation that got it added in the first place?

Also, has anyone been to any of the 3 or 4 or however many potential sites we are up to now in the area to see if any signs of progress have happened? Thanks to everyone on the ground there for checking on those for those of us on the eastern side of the state.

Reactions: plumazul
I know this is off topic, but I want to spread the word. Do NOT upgrade to the V9.0 software on the Model S or Model X if you use the center screen split screen functionality. If you use the back-up cam and media controls at the same time this is no longer possible and they have removed this functionality. Just FYI to owners.

• Disagree
Reactions: Chuq
I know this is off topic, but I want to spread the word. Do NOT upgrade to the V9.0 software on the Model S or Model X if you use the center screen split screen functionality. If you use the back-up cam and media controls at the same time this is no longer possible and they have removed this functionality. Just FYI to owners.
you know there are many threads specifically about V9, no need to cross post in every forum :rolleyes:
There is even a thread for people who like the change