Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Antonio, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^ I agree. One of the pics you posted in the SA SC thread shows a gate that would appear to close the entrance to the parking lot although I'm not sure that it is going to remain there once construction is complete.

I wouldn't call it Destination Charging. Those are for Tesla use, primarily, for service, cars to be delivered, and loaners. They may allow some owners to charge if necessary until a Supercharger is completed nearby, I don't know.
That does make sense, but if so they're in a weird place. Unless I'm misinterpreting the photo, those charging stations are going to be along the front edge of the parking lot. If they were meant for the staff to use to charge cars that are in for service, or loaners, demos and inventory cars, it would make more sense to put them behind the building. Per your pictures in the Service Center thread it looks like there's room. On the other hand, how much of a "destination" is a Tesla gallery/service center? Who's going to hang out there long enough to get a worthwhile charge at only 10 to 20 kW? There isn't really anyplace to dine or shop within easy walking distance.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying it seems odd to have HPWC's in such a highly visible location and have them NOT be for customer use.

It would be destination charging for those whose destination is the Tesla service center. That's not really what we consider to be destination charging though. I think it's just a matter of semantics-- some people call HPWCs "destination chargers".

Also possible it is a temporary solution until a Supercharger can be approved and installed.

With the roadblocks they have encountered just getting the Service Center approved, maybe they didn't want to give an excuse to delay opening because of the Supercharger. Obviously forces are at work behind the scenes, so complication on the site could cause unexpected issues.

IMG_1807.JPG

• Love
Reactions: CarlS and byeLT4
I stopped by the San Antonio Tesla Store today and asked them about whether a supercharger would be added soon to this location. No one knew of any plans for it at this time. Saying this they are just beginning to work the opening of the store and that might be something that they are focusing on. Officially the grand opening is tomorrow, 27 Apr 17. My guess is the San Antonio supercharger location will not be here (at least anytime soon if ever.) Hope this information helps.

• Informative
Reactions: vrykolas
I stopped by the San Antonio Tesla Store today and asked them about whether a supercharger would be added soon to this location. No one knew of any plans for it at this time. Saying this they are just beginning to work the opening of the store and that might be something that they are focusing on. Officially the grand opening is tomorrow, 27 Apr 17. My guess is the San Antonio supercharger location will not be here (at least anytime soon if ever.) Hope this information helps.
Thanks for asking! I would say that Tesla employees often don't have any more information than the rest of us, and sometimes less...

I still am convinced it will be in that general area. Columbus to the Service Center is about 141 miles. That would really be farther than they would like, so they are building the Supercharger in Flatonia. That makes it 107 miles between, and 96 miles to Junction.

I think it will be somewhere near the Service Center, if not at it. I think they want to get the facility open and let the news settle, then announce the Supercharger. The one thing that makes me doubt it is the lack of parking, and space to put it.

Last edited:
Thanks for asking! I would say that Tesla employees often don't have any more information than the rest of us, and sometimes less...

I still am convinced it will be in that general area. Columbus to the Service Center is about 141 miles. That would really be farther than they would like, so they are building the Supercharger in Flatonia. That makes it 107 miles between, and 96 miles to Junction.

I think it will be somewhere near the Service Center, if not at it. I think they want to get the facility open and let the news settle, then announce the Supercharger. The one thing that makes me doubt it is the lack of parking, and space to put it.

I agree with you completely. This location is kind of tight on space so I am betting that the supercharger will be somewhere else in the San Antonio area. If I see anything pop up, I'll let you all know.

I stopped back by the San Antonio Tesla store and while talking with several of the staff about the future I asked if any of them had heard about a specific supercharger location in town. They all said no but are hoping to hear something soon.

Reactions: byeLT4

It appears you were correct about the location but missed the year by one. Has anyone seen any clues about where the 2017 Supercharger will be located? Any permits pulled?

Not sure what you mean about missing the year?

The San Antonio permit database does not easily lend itself to random searches. Unless you know the address, it is tough to find anything. And of course, the address is what we seek. One can get a list of all electrical permits, but it's pretty tedious looking through each one of the hundreds listed to see if it looks like a Supercharger installation. All I can say for sure is that there is no permit for a Supercharger at the Service Center location or nearby on I-10. It could be on a side street or off the highway entirely and it would be tough to find.