Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Antonio, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be back over there in a couple of hours, let me know if anybody wants specific pics or other info.
I'm still confused as to where the stalls will be located. I can see six near the edge of the lot near the road, but where are the others -- is that what is going on the island? I can't see pedestal mounts there, but there are some conduits there. Is that where the transformer will go? I don't get where the other 4 stalls are located.

Last edited:
It would be nice but they only do that for their very large high traffic supercharging stations. And with this only having 10 stalls I doubt Tesla would do something like that here.
You also wouldn't want that unless you want the 10 stalls to be full quite often. The lounge at Kettleman City definitely attracts more Tesla drivers than the other nearby superchargers.

I haven't noticed any pedestals on site, so expect progress to slow markedly when they get to that point. They are moving quickly, though.

There's apparently a shortage... there's a Super Charger in WA also waiting on pedestals...

We already know what the delay is. See up thread. Tesla doesn't currently have any of the pedestals (the things that are installed at each stall with the charging cable and plug, etc) which still need to be installed. So, until their supply of them is re-established, no progress is going to be made.

Lunchtime today. Charger cabinets are in place. No pedestals and no transformer. Maybe pedestals are in the crates?

It looks to me like there are 7 charging spots that back up to the street (south side of the site) and the other 3 are perpendicular to the street, east side of the site, just north of the charging cabinets. Should be able to see two of the pedestal bases in my 3rd pic below.

First pic - 5 charging cabinets installed

Second pic - 7 charging spots backing up to the road, crates with pedestals?

Third pic - charging spots to the north/left of the charging cabinets, more crates

20190730_111226.jpg 20190730_111301.jpg 20190730_111324.jpg

Last edited:
Lunchtime today. Charger cabinets are in place. No pedestals and no transformer. Maybe pedestals are in the crates?

It looks to me like there are 7 charging spots that back up to the street (south side of the site) and the other 3 are perpendicular to the street, east side of the site, just north of the charging cabinets. Should be able to see two of the pedestal bases in my 3rd pic below.

Third pic - charging spots to the north/left of the charging cabinets, more crates

View attachment 435749 View attachment 435744 View attachment 435745
Lucky. You guys are getting pedestals while we in Canada continue to suffer!

Ref. Third pic: Those two pedestal bases are awfully close to each other. My guess is that they used the distance between pedestals not taking into account that there is a curb there.

After you left yesterday they started to put in the transformer, filled in more dirt around the pedestals and started to lay sod. Then around 3pm they started to break apart the foundation for the transformer but I had to leave before I found out what reason was for that.

Man that’s moving FAST!
Surprising given that Tesla doesn't care about San Antonio, or Texas in general. I'm told.

:^)

Yeah, they appear to be really moving on this one. Probably a confluence of things, such as gear supply coming online at the right time, pent up readiness (and desire by Tesla) that was being held back by [years of] permit and siting woes, and some other scheduling luck breaking way here.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: plumazul
Surprising given that Tesla doesn't care about San Antonio, or Texas general. I'm told.

:^)

Yeah, they appear to be really moving on this one. Probably a confluence of things, such as gear supply coming online at the right time, pent up readiness (and desire by Tesla) that was being held back by [years of] permit and siting woes, and some other scheduling luck breaking way here.

We've been waiting on site selection and permits etc. for a long time, but once things started moving, they really started moving. Sometimes Supercharger construction is like the Hemingway quote about going bankrupt - gradually, then suddenly.

Come to think of it, the San Antonio Service Center was kind of the same way.

Reactions: SammichLover