Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Antonio, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really moving very fast. They were wiring the SCs' while I shot these. 3 along the back and 7 along the street.

20190805_135757-large.jpg

20190805_135837-large.jpg

Latest update today--
Permanently mounted- done
Wiring appears to be completed, no electricians today and a LOT of empty wire spools in the back.
Tesla signs up- but covered.
I would imagine all that needs to be done are inspections and maybe a little landscaping. I would guess that the SCs are capable of charging as we speak. (maybe no networking yet)
If there is an interest in planning an event/get together/meet and greet I would think that this could be online (if all inspections go well, etc) very soon.
Has anyone ever experienced a "turn on" of a SC- do they just work all of a sudden or does Tesla may something of it?
I would imagine that some of the local media might have an interest in the first SC site in San Antonio opening. Someone at one of the local stations might have already seen the future or if not it would be a great fill article for the evening news to have a reporter experience their first Tesla drive.

20190806_134637-large.jpg

20190806_134756-large.jpg
20190806_134753-large.jpg

Thanks for the update firstflyer.

Things to watch for:

Is there an electric meter attached to the transformer cabinet? Cannot turn on until the local electric utility (CPS Energy in San Antonio) installs and activates the meter.

When Tesla does their final inspection/activation they will number the pedestals (1A, 1B, 2A, etc)

Also in this case I expect that round concrete base next to the charger cabinets (see firstflyer's first pic above) is going to be a light post. They may not open the site until that light post is installed and working regardless of actual Supercharger readiness.

We're all excited about this one but let's be careful not to count chickens yet. Could be a few days, could be a few weeks.

So, where is the power coming from? Has anyone got a pic of the transformer or a line drop from a nearby pole??
Not a pic but I was by there when they were installing the wiring. It comes from conduit that runs from the 5 power supply cabinets along the back to the large transformer in the center. You can see it in the last pic in my last post along the left side of the pic. It looked like a couple of 4" pipes along with quite a few smaller diameter ones. Really wasn't paying much attention at the time. That trench had an offshoot running over to the 7 along the street.

Not a pic but I was by there when they were installing the wiring. It comes from conduit that runs from the 5 power supply cabinets along the back to the large transformer in the center. You can see it in the last pic in my last post along the left side of the pic. It looked like a couple of 4" pipes along with quite a few smaller diameter ones. Really wasn't paying much attention at the time. That trench had an offshoot running over to the 7 along the street.

The large white box in the center? That was delivered with the Superchargers by Tesla. It's the equivalent of the panel in your house. The transformer(unless they are using one already on a pole) will be delivered by CPS.
Someone earlier mentioned they were working on a pole. Perhaps that is where you'll find the meter.

The large white box in the center? That was delivered with the Superchargers by Tesla. It's the equivalent of the panel in your house. The transformer(unless they are using one already on a pole) will be delivered by CPS.
Someone earlier mentioned they were working on a pole. Perhaps that is where you'll find your meter.
If it's not inside that cabinet the only other source that I see possible is from the back side by the five cabinets. When they were trenching I did not notice if it went back and there is something masked by the bushes. I will try and check when I go by after work tomorrow (easy off and on of IH10). The only poles I have noticed in the area are lamp poles.
I don't know the cutting edge state of meters today but both my solar and electric meters are basically digital and report everything to CPS. No physical presence required. I guess the only thing that has to be large is the wire demarc between Tesla and CPS but this is just some uneducated speculation on my part.

This is NOT San Antonio, but an image I grabbed off the web.

The large dark green box to the right on the top image is the transformer. It is used to drop the voltage from higher transmission level voltage to 480v. At least typically...

It will typically have a meter on it or near it. A meter for an installation like this has a remote sensor so it doesn't need to have all the electricity flowing through it like a house meter.

Union%20Park%20Supercharger%201.png

I'd have to say the power is coming in behind the buildings down the service access. There are power lines with transformers on the poles. Not sure if they will come underground or above ground.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: rafacq and byeLT4
If there is an interest in planning an event/get together/meet and greet I would think that this could be online (if all inspections go well, etc) very soon.
Has anyone ever experienced a "turn on" of a SC- do they just work all of a sudden or does Tesla may something of it?
I would imagine that some of the local media might have an interest in the first SC site in San Antonio opening. Someone at one of the local stations might have already seen the future or if not it would be a great fill article for the evening news to have a reporter experience their first Tesla drive.

Looks like you and I got very similar pics a few hours apart.

I'm in for a celebration when the station opens, and will reach out to someone at KSAT to see if they're interested in reporting on the opening.

Also, I'm hearing through the grapevine that Tesla is working on another Supercharger on Dolorosa, which they hope to open this year.
IMG_20190806_180705.jpg
IMG_20190806_180820.jpg
IMG_20190806_180750.jpg

I’d love to join the party. I’m coming from McAllen and I drive up to SA on a somewhat regular basis. Hopefully we can pin down a date a week or more in advance. It would be great to talk to folks about some of the things we’ve done to our Tesla’s. Wraps, ceramic coatings, etc. not too many Tesla’s down here in the valley.

Am I looking at the seven stall image above correctly? The first two are dedicated handicap charging stalls? Cool. Just never seen that before.

Thought I would show a map image of the location. I was there this weekend and glad this station is coming together. Any predictions on how busy this station will be?

3288C0EE-BDF6-4C8D-A659-3EC7DD08B584.jpeg

I’d love to join the party. I’m coming from McAllen and I drive up to SA on a somewhat regular basis. Hopefully we can pin down a date a week or more in advance. It would be great to talk to folks about some of the things we’ve done to our Tesla’s. Wraps, ceramic coatings, etc. not too many Tesla’s down here in the valley.

Am I looking at the seven stall image above correctly? The first two are dedicated handicap charging stalls? Cool. Just never seen that before.

Thought I would show a map image of the location. I was there this weekend and glad this station is coming together. Any predictions on how busy this station will be?

View attachment 438934

Prediction: Flooded by Model 3 locals inside of 4 weeks.

Prediction: Flooded by Model 3 locals inside of 4 weeks.
Full with model S/X with free unlimited free supercharging... And those early performance model 3. Everyone willing to trade time for $$.

Generally full all the time making it difficult to use while traveling through.

Hoping the low electric rates help, but Austin is sitting at 9 of 10 full right now so I expect SA to be similar.