Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Antonio, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Battery SOC
Not really "luck". Unless you lack ability/willingness to plan and do some fairly easy math.

# of cars charging
Ambient temp
Grid Voltage
Sharing a cabinet
Battery Temperature
These factors are rare influence outside of some of the CA SC and a very small group SC at particular times of day. Battery temp is largely moot now with the latest patches, barring the situation mentioned above. Even the heavily congested SC can often be planned around, as SC density increases. I expect I'll never again use the Austin SC, especially with Giddings about to come online this fall. Besides the heavy use at certain times of day/week, it is sort of an awkward setup to start with. So I just San Marcos now, and soon will use Giddings likewise. People headed North-South also have other options.

Last edited:
*facepalm*

Which part of some states allow Tesla to sell kWh and some don't confuses you?

Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 8.14.12 PM.png

Clearly the target is $0.28/kWh. Never realized there was such a disparity between per minute and per kWh.... you don't think this should be resolved?

Which part of some states allow Tesla to sell kWh and some don't confuses you?

View attachment 439088

Clearly the target is $0.28/kWh. Never realized there was such a disparity between per minute and per kWh.... you don't think this should be resolved?

nediver, I had an argument further up this same board with SammichLover about Tesla's lack of build out in Texas, and all I'll tell you is there is no winning. He's always right... Yes, Tesla does need to do something about the disparity between per kWh and per minute charging especially if it costs less to take the spot up at the end of the charge.

As for the previous point, I'd expect this place to be a lot like Austin not long after it opens. Tesla has fundamentally missed the boat on supercharging in Texas and with Fort Worth reopening we are now back to where we started as a state for the entire year. Not a single opening in going on 8 months.

And before I get, 'but look at all the superchargers being built now', all I'd say is, I haven't seen a transformer in San Antonio yet, Webster got wired up using the wrong wire and rework has to be redone, Austin is going on 4 months of build and unless the latest pictures are wrong looks no where close to ready, while Giddings and Henrietta have no pedestals.

This is going on 8 months in to the year, and I'm pretty sure more Tesla's are on the road in Texas now than in January, yet we have 0 more supercharging stalls. So yeah, I expect this one in San Antonio to have a line within 3 weeks of opening.

The troubling part is, what percentage of the stalls will be taken by ICE vehicles? Tesla likes to set aside some number of stalls to 30 Minute General Parking. Tesla really needs to stop this practice. One, it takes up badly needed stalls and two, it just invites trouble. As if we don’t already have enough problems with ICE vehicles. I don’t see gasoline pumps with a general parking sign. Why should our charging stations be any different?

Every charging station should have the name and phone number of a local towing company contracted by Tesla to tow at that SC location. If any Tesla owner pulls up and finds stalls being blocked, we dial that number and ten minutes later that vehicle is gone. No more messing around. Period. I’m tired of this nonsense.

• Disagree
Reactions: PLUS EV and TexasEV
nediver, I had an argument further up this same board with SammichLover about Tesla's lack of build out in Texas, and all I'll tell you is there is no winning. He's always right... Yes, Tesla does need to do something about the disparity between per kWh and per minute charging especially if it costs less to take the spot up at the end of the charge.

As for the previous point, I'd expect this place to be a lot like Austin not long after it opens. Tesla has fundamentally missed the boat on supercharging in Texas and with Fort Worth reopening we are now back to where we started as a state for the entire year. Not a single opening in going on 8 months.

And before I get, 'but look at all the superchargers being built now', all I'd say is, I haven't seen a transformer in San Antonio yet, Webster got wired up using the wrong wire and rework has to be redone, Austin is going on 4 months of build and unless the latest pictures are wrong looks no where close to ready, while Giddings and Henrietta have no pedestals.

This is going on 8 months in to the year, and I'm pretty sure more Tesla's are on the road in Texas now than in January, yet we have 0 more supercharging stalls. So yeah, I expect this one in San Antonio to have a line within 3 weeks of opening.

Hopefully Alvarado and Henrietta will open in 4 to 6 weeks! My next choice, although not in Texas, will be a big help for all Texans driving to Colorado. Clayton, NM!

Reactions: PLUS EV
What I don’t get is how/why does a state has to tell Tesla how to sell electricity?
They are protecting the utilities from someone coming in as a reseller. Or, generally protecting their monopoly position.

I believe selling by kWh requires a tariff approved by cities, states, etc. So they may also argue that they are protecting the population. Perhaps a builder would come in a build a subdivision and resell the electricity at a higher rate.

I agree this is less than optimal. However, it's not Tesla's choice, it's the hosting business who sometimes insists on keeping as many spaces around for ICE cars as they need. (Most locations, by my experience, do not have this "general parking"). Again, it's not Tesla's doing.

My suggestion is, Tesla should start buying abandoned gas stations and make dedicated charging stations out of them. And stop with the practice of putting them in shopping centers or behind hotels, etc. It sounds like a good idea but, it really doesn’t turn out that way. No one leaves their cars much anymore. It’s only a 30 minute charge most of the time. Some outdoor seating and quality vending machines and I think we would be set.

We can no longer afford to have 20 percent of chargers being occupied by ICE vehicles.

My suggestion is, Tesla should start buying abandoned gas stations and make dedicated charging stations out of them. And stop with the practice of putting them in shopping centers or behind hotels, etc. It sounds like a good idea but, it really doesn’t turn out that way. No one leaves their cars much anymore. It’s only a 30 minute charge most of the time. Some outdoor seating and quality vending machines and I think we would be set.

We can no longer afford to have 20 percent of chargers being occupied by ICE vehicles.

Abandon gas stations frequently come with hazardous material cleanup issues. One of the reasons they sit so long.

I personally believe they should put 2 superchargers at every McDonalds. They are all standalone buildings with significant power for the restaurant. They are everywhere. I'd name them something different and not include free charging though.

Of course, it may happen with some other standard eventually. Then we just need an adapter.

Tesla should have done a better job emphasizing the use case of L3 vs L2. If there are a few hundred people using superchargers for daily charging, fine. If Tesla wants to build 'urban chargers' as a stop-gap, fine. But once there are thousands it CAN. NOT. WORK. Even if you build more stations it will easily overwhelm the grid. 70kW is a CRAZY load! That's easily the average consumption of ~20 homes. Most people are not going to be willing to creep down to the local SC at 2am when it's not busy. >90% of charging needs to be done on L2. Period. Full-stop.

The troubling part is, what percentage of the stalls will be taken by ICE vehicles? Tesla likes to set aside some number of stalls to 30 Minute General Parking. Tesla really needs to stop this practice. One, it takes up badly needed stalls and two, it just invites trouble. As if we don’t already have enough problems with ICE vehicles. I don’t see gasoline pumps with a general parking sign. Why should our charging stations be any different?

Every charging station should have the name and phone number of a local towing company contracted by Tesla to tow at that SC location. If any Tesla owner pulls up and finds stalls being blocked, we dial that number and ten minutes later that vehicle is gone. No more messing around. Period. I’m tired of this nonsense.
No, Tesla doesn’t “like” to do this. It only happens when the property owner requires it, usually because of zoning laws regarding number of parking spaces available for the business.

Reactions: PLUS EV
They are protecting the utilities from someone coming in as a reseller. Or, generally protecting their monopoly position.

I believe selling by kWh requires a tariff approved by cities, states, etc. So they may also argue that they are protecting the population. Perhaps a builder would come in a build a subdivision and resell the electricity at a higher rate.

It’s an electric car charger! Tesla should be able to sell by kWh everywhere, Texas shouldn’t be deciding how? Again, Texas politicians being manipulated by car dealerships.

Last edited:
Abandon gas stations frequently come with hazardous material cleanup issues. One of the reasons they sit so long.

I personally believe they should put 2 superchargers at every McDonalds. They are all standalone buildings with significant power for the restaurant. They are everywhere. I'd name them something different and not include free charging though.

Of course, it may happen with some other standard eventually. Then we just need an adapter.

Sadly, as busy as MickeyD’s are (and Burger King), I can see so many ICEV blocking the chargers.

I personally think Tesla should work with states and install 2 to 4 SCs at all highway rest areas. Sadly here in Texas, car dealer lobbyists control our legislators. Tesla is not allowed to “officially” sell Tesla’s in Texas!

Sadly, as busy as MickeyD’s are (and Burger King), I can see so many ICEV blocking the chargers.

I personally think Tesla should work with states and install 2 to 4 SCs at all highway rest areas. Sadly here in Texas, car dealer lobbyists control our legislators. Tesla is not allowed to “officially” sell Tesla’s in Texas!
Icing will be a reality until tow away laws are in place.

I even see Tesla’s parked in EV spots without charging. Those (idiots) should know better.

drivein like sonic may be better. Good advertising too.

He's always right...
It probably just seems that way to you because I tend not to humour people spouting off indefensibly inane assertions, and you just don't have any close about when to take the "L", or better yet learn something and turn it into the "W", which is my preference. For example, you just can't help embarrassing yourself with....

I haven't seen a transformer in San Antonio yet,
BWHAHAHA

You and @nwdiver should make a club. Then you can get together to discuss how Tesla definitely isn't intending to build SC in San Antonio because they don't care about Texas and have abandoned it. Also you can head off on tangental screeds of various sorts. He's certainly game for that!

The part where per kWh pricing is relevant to the topic at hand, San Antonio.

LOL

Last edited:
The part where per kWh pricing is relevant to the topic at hand, San Antonio.

LOL

That's YOUR selective topic. Since my SC is free I was unaware that there's a discrepancy between /min and /kWh. My point was that $0.28/kWh is clearly Teslas intent..... since that's what they're charging per kWh. Do you think that discrepancy should be fixed?

LOL

• Disagree
Reactions: SammichLover