Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Antonio, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They're tearing the fencing down now. The lights on the stations are on too.
The 7 stalls in the front are up and running! Ran into 4 other owners while visiting. Tech said that the 3 stalls to the left won't be up and running for about 1 - 2 more weeks. Still seems like there's a bit more work to do before they're added to the maps. They still don't have stall numbers on the bottom.
Fence is down, I talked to the Tesla guy there on site about 30 minutes ago. He said he had just turned the power off (CPS was there too). He said if I had stopped by last night I could have charged!!! Might be back up later today.
Went by for lunch at California Pizza Kitchen. Lots of activity...see pics:

Welcome to all the new users from San Antonio. Our long wait is over!! San Antonio is now Tesla friendly.

And we have our answer for how long would it take for this supercharger to get over run and be full like Austin. The answer... 15 minuets. Those of you who took the over will take the loss, and those who took the under can collect your winnings at the window.

Also, thanks to those of you on the ground over there, the updates have been frequent and often with pictures. Much appreciated for those of us from out of town.

And we have our answer for how long would it take for this supercharger to get over run and be full like Austin. The answer... 15 minuets. Those of you who took the over will take the loss, and those who took the under can collect your winnings at the window.

Also, thanks to those of you on the ground over there, the updates have been frequent and often with pictures. Much appreciated for those of us from out of town.
Hopefully there are just a few people charging to get it on their "superchargers visited" lists. I'm coincidentally going to be in San Antonio this weekend, so I'll probably stop by for a couple of minutes even though I don't need the charge - my 33rd supercharger. (I won't hog a spot if somebody is waiting, though.)

I know that this is about to change but does anyone know why a town the size of San Antonio had to wait so long to get a supercharger near the actual city. Looking at the map of the US and the next largest city without one is Lubbock and then the "major cities without a supercharger close" become very small. Any idea on why we had to wait so long?

When Tesla start installing Superchargers, they were placed along the interstate in-between major cities but not within the major cities themselves. This was based on the philosophy that the superchargers are only meant for long distance travel, not to treat them as regular refueling stations by the locals. But once Tesla change their strategy to now include urban chargers for locals, that's when we saw superchargers popup in major cities starting with Dallas, then Austin/Houston, and now San Antonio. And frankly when it comes to any other retail development, San Antonio seems to always be the last one to get it (ie. Ikea, Fry's electronics, ect.).

Reactions: tmoz
Yea!! Power to the (Tesla) people!
20190822_135531.jpg

As stated earlier they opened most of the bays (7 of 10). I guess SA is really a big city now!

• Funny
Reactions: emorog and tmoz
I was looking at these pictures with a friend and he made an interesting statement. He said where he lives there are handicap places at their EV chargers, but that EV vehicles without handicap placards are allowed to use them provided that all other spaces are taken up with nothing else left, and that the driver remains with the vehicle and gives priority to vehicles with handicap placards. He said it was a regulation where they lived. As far as I’m concerned, I’d be hesitant to do something like that; but does anyone know if that’s a rule here? Or maybe not even a rule but just the etiquette?

Reactions: emorog
I don’t see a problem charging at one of the handicap stalls as long as you stay with the vehicle. It will only take about 40 seconds to clear out if someone who needs it shows up which, will be hardly ever to be honest. Just be ready to vacate quickly.

I take it as etiquette as well. If the only available chargers are the handicap ones and you really need to charge then go for it.

Got to charge today. Started at 33% soc and it peaked at 98kW and dropped quick.

Attachments

• AE55149C-D084-41FD-8705-94B86A333EC4.jpeg
    AE55149C-D084-41FD-8705-94B86A333EC4.jpeg
    408.7 KB · Views: 55
I was looking at these pictures with a friend and he made an interesting statement. He said where he lives there are handicap places at their EV chargers, but that EV vehicles without handicap placards are allowed to use them provided that all other spaces are taken up with nothing else left, and that the driver remains with the vehicle and gives priority to vehicles with handicap placards. He said it was a regulation where they lived. As far as I’m concerned, I’d be hesitant to do something like that; but does anyone know if that’s a rule here? Or maybe not even a rule but just the etiquette?

Assuming the rest of the markings are correct, the spaces with the International Symbol of Access are only for handicapped parking, without or with using the Supercharger.

Most Texas Superchargers have a couple of wider spaces that say something like, “Designed for Handicapped Access, Use Last” or similar language. Someone must have lost a battle.