Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Antonio, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Chuq @BlueShift or various Supercharge.info admins.
Let's see that pretty red blob.

I-10 is now comfortably traversible without diversion. (Let's just ignore the Quartzsite, AZ problems for now.)

To add although traversible, there are sizeable gaps compared to other Interstates.

Largest gaps on I-10:
Mobile, AL to DeFuniak Springs, FL: 137 miles
Willcox, AZ to Deming, NM: 134 miles
Lake Charles, LA to Baton Rouge, LA: 131.6 miles (Split: a location identified in Lafayette, LA)
El Paso, TX to Van Horn, TX: 131 miles
Channelview, TX to Lake Charles, LA: 127.4 miles (Split: Tesla findus has a gray pin on Beaumont, TX)

There are also many cases where skipping a Supercharger would be a long distance, which could lead to bottlenecks as Tesla owners are forced to stop. Mostly, I-10 travel is pretty light, so capacity not so much of a problem to the east, but Quartzsite, AZ has seen lines at holiday periods.
Mobile, AL to Tallahassee, FL, (over DeFuniak Springs, FL): 253 miles
Slidell, LA to DeFuniak Springs, FL (over Mobile, AL): 239 miles
El Paso, TX to Fort Stockton, TX (over Van Horn, TX): 228 miles
Van Horn, TX to Ozona, TX (over Fort Stockton, TX): 228 miles
Willcox, AZ to El Paso, TX (over Deming, NM): 223 miles
Deming, NM to Van Horn, TX (over El Paso, TX): 221 miles
Indo, CA to Buckeye, AZ (over Quartzsite, AZ): 217 miles (Quartsite, AZ is a site with power problems)

Reactions: Cgoral
Do folks want to start putting together a plan for a get together? As an out of towner I would like to propose either Saturday or Sunday, September 7 or 8. The weekend after that could work as well. That gives a larger number of people time to plan to attend.

My plan is to also have a few non Tesla owners that I know attend. Maybe local shoppers will see the activity and want to stroll over and see what’s happening. It could be a lot of fun.

Do folks want to start putting together a plan for a get together? As an out of towner I would like to propose either Saturday or Sunday, September 7 or 8. The weekend after that could work as well. That gives a larger number of people time to plan to attend.

My plan is to also have a few non Tesla owners that I know attend. Maybe local shoppers will see the activity and want to stroll over and see what’s happening. It could be a lot of fun.

As a reminder, National Drive Electric Week events are upcoming which could create conflicts or an opportunity to integrate Supercharger grand opening festivities with the NDEW event in SA. Perhaps a meetup and then a caravan to the Wonderland event?? Or maybe something after the NDEW event is over?

As a reminder, National Drive Electric Week events are upcoming which could create conflicts or an opportunity to integrate Supercharger grand opening festivities with the NDEW event in SA. Perhaps a meetup and then a caravan to the Wonderland event?? Or maybe something after the NDEW event is over?

Very cool. Thanks for that information. Maybe it would be a good idea to attend both events on the same day. It would make for a fun day.

Yesterday when I went by the supercharger it appeared that of the seven along the street six were functioning with one still being wrapped up. I didn't check for the three along the back. I just took it for granted that the post earlier that stated that a Tesla rep had said that the back three would be 1 to 2 weeks before they came online. Additionally it appears that we have version 2 superchargers. When I plugged in to see if the superchargers were functioning I added 14.3kWh in 14 minutes. That was starting at 75% SOC up to 90%. Just an observation but after the charge completed there is no update on how much I would be charged. In fact the last supercharger data displayed was from a few weeks ago after a charge in Flatonia. I don't know if this is a mistake but it appears that the billing has not started on this supercharger yet. I don't think this will last very long if it is true. Maybe it's just because it's still in the startup and testing stage.
On the question of handicap parking there are still three slots up that have the handicap parking sign underneath the 30 minute Tesla signs. At other superchargers I have seen the sign that states to use the handicap slots last or only if there are no other slots available. Nothing like that here.
I think the idea of a get together is great but if it is going to be successful we need to figure out a general point of contact for everybody so any ideas or thoughts about when and where don't get scattered across Internet. If anybody has any ideas about how to do this it would be great. If we wanted to go whole hog and draw some attention to Tesla in Texas wouldn't it be great if we could somehow convince Elon that the introduction of the pickup should be done nowhere else but in Texas, the pickup capital of the world. It will probably be one of the largest markets for the pickup and we can all thumb or noses at the Texas automobile dealers Association. Imagine how cool it would be to have the new pickup driving around the Alamo in San Antonio or the capital up in Austin. I know what most people will say but if are going to fight for an equal footing in Texas for our cars you have to start somewhere.
And while I am in fantasy mode I think that it is time to change all the vans in the surrounding traffic display to pickup trucks. I don't know about you guys but about 80 to 90% of the vans displayed are trucks. A great add-on maybe for the introduction of the pickup. Or maybe we could just make it a Texas option.
Okay, daydreaming is over.

• Helpful
Reactions: emorog
I'm glad the SA supercharger is now open, even though it is not really a factor for me as I charge in my garage (NE San Antonio). What I really wonder about is other SC sites in Texas. I would personally like to see SC sites in College Station and East Dallas (Mesquite). According to Tesla, both are "coming in 2019", but I can find nothing more on their progress.

What gives me concern is that there seem to only be 5 sites under construction in all of Texas. Of those, they all seem to be stalled. As best I can tell, it took about 50 days from initial construction fences to opening for the SA site but we have:

Location Days under construction
Webster (SE of Houston) 126
Giddings (Between Austin and Houston) 58
Austin 122
Burleson (South of Fort Worth) 85
Henrietta (SE of Wichita Falls) 94

Nothing for Lubbock, Corpus, or Harlingen. Selma seems to be planned, but I can't find any progress/status for that either.

• Funny
Reactions: PLUS EV
Assuming the rest of the markings are correct, the spaces with the International Symbol of Access are only for handicapped parking, without or with using the Supercharger.

Most Texas Superchargers have a couple of wider spaces that say something like, “Designed for Handicapped Access, Use Last” or similar language. Someone must have lost a battle.
Handicap spaces are rarely enforced anyways. I see cars with no handicap signs or plates parking in handicap spots all the time with no recourse. It would be messed up though if all of a sudden there was some handicap enforcement person camping out at this location waiting to jump on those who pull into that spot.

I'm glad the SA supercharger is now open, even though it is not really a factor for me as I charge in my garage (NE San Antonio). What I really wonder about is other SC sites in Texas. I would personally like to see SC sites in College Station and East Dallas (Mesquite). According to Tesla, both are "coming in 2019", but I can find nothing more on their progress.

What gives me concern is that there seem to only be 5 sites under construction in all of Texas. Of those, they all seem to be stalled. As best I can tell, it took about 50 days from initial construction fences to opening for the SA site but we have:

Austin 122

Nothing for Lubbock, Corpus, or Harlingen. Selma seems to be planned, but I can't find any progress/status for that either.
The Webster one has been the most frustrating one for me since I regularly travel down to Clear Lake from San Antonio. Following that Webster supercharging thread has been sad with all the delays and technical screwups that have been reported to have happened. And it's extra baffling since Rudy's BBQ seems to be all in on having Tesla superchargers at their stores already.

I believe someone was holding a meetup lunch event at the the nearby California pizza Kitchen this Sunday at noon.

Charged there today. The charging speeds are standard v2. I have free supercharging but a friend of my did not show any fees after charging. It appears 6 of the 7 are available that run parallel to huebner oaks. The 3 in the corner appear to have 2 working. 1 of those 3 was being used today.

• Informative

Austin 122

You can monitor the running Supercharger status here for all such sites in either "Permit" or "Construction" status. Unfortunately, when a site is promoted to the next level, the prior info is lost.

Charged there today. The charging speeds are standard v2. I have free supercharging but a friend of my did not show any fees after charging. It appears 6 of the 7 are available that run parallel to huebner oaks. The 3 in the corner appear to have 2 working. 1 of those 3 was being used today.
I think sometimes it's FREE charging for all when a supercharger is brand new. But once they put it in the Nav and on the website, it will have a charge per kW associated with it.

• Informative
Regarding the handicap accessible spaces...I believe (and I might be wrong) that Texas has pretty strict rules on what is officially counted as a handicap space. The space must have a sign AND clear markings on the ground. If it does not have both, then tickets can't be issued.

But, as I said, I might be wrong. :)

• Informative
Reactions: BerTX
Regarding the handicap accessible spaces...I believe (and I might be wrong) that Texas has pretty strict rules on what is officially counted as a handicap space. The space must have a sign AND clear markings on the ground. If it does not have both, then tickets can't be issued.

But, as I said, I might be wrong. :)
I’m pretty sure Texas only requires the posted sign. There is no requirement for ground marking and ground marking without a sign isn’t legal.

These disabled spaces are not legal. The property owner thinks they are getting away with something, and maybe Tesla is mis-informing them, as it is a fairly common practice. The spaces must be the closest parking spaces to an accessible entrance. These are not. They must be 8 feet wide, and must have a 5 foot aisle marked next to them.

The "use these last" philosophy is also not legal. Stopping for even a moment in a space marked as accessible to let someone out in the rain is a violation if you are not authorized.

Reactions: TMC Bubba