Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Antonio, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These disabled spaces are not legal. The property owner thinks they are getting away with something, and maybe Tesla is mis-informing them, as it is a fairly common practice. The spaces must be the closest parking spaces to an accessible entrance. These are not. .
I'm not familiar with Texas' laws/codes on the matter like I am with California's, so this may be different there. But in CA, disabled accessible parking stalls are explicitly treated differently from disabled accessible EV Charging Stations (EVCS). And the section of the CA Building Code which deals with accessibility requirements when building an EVCS has language directly addressing your point by saying that for a disabled accessible EVCS, it needs to be on AN accessible route to the building entrance or AN accessible route to the pedestrian entrance to the charging area. I.e. it's explicitly not called out as being on the shortest such route like it is for accessible parking. See CA Building Code 11b-812.5. Since CA developed their rules for this matter first, I think most other states that have followed have just adopted theirs with minor modifications.

To someone else's point about the surface markings not being the same as for disabled parking, that is also by design. See CBC 11b-812.9

• Informative
Reactions: PLUS EV
Went by, it looks like there are only two that are not operational; one of the ones in back and one along the street. I plugged into one in the back and started to charge without a problem.

IMG_3091.jpeg
IMG_3090.jpeg

I'm not familiar with Texas' laws/codes on the matter like I am with California's, so this may be different there. But in CA, disabled accessible parking stalls are explicitly treated differently from disabled accessible EV Charging Stations (EVCS). And the section of the CA Building Code which deals with accessibility requirements when building an EVCS has language directly addressing your point by saying that for a disabled accessible EVCS, it needs to be on AN accessible route to the building entrance or AN accessible route to the pedestrian entrance to the charging area. I.e. it's explicitly not called out as being on the shortest such route like it is for accessible parking. See CA Building Code 11b-812.5. Since CA developed their rules for this matter first, I think most other states that have followed have just adopted theirs with minor modifications.

To someone else's point about the surface markings not being the same as for disabled parking, that is also by design. See CBC 11b-812.9

Huh, I was mistaken, there ARE some rules in Texas, and apparently have been since 2011.

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/ab/info/TM11-01.pdf

"As the U.S. Department of Justice has not issued formal accessibility guidelines addressing electric vehicle charging stations, the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation issues the following technical clarifications until such time as federal standards become available and are adopted. If electric charging stations are provided in new or existing parking lots, parking garages or other location containing parking spaces, these spaces are not required to comply with TAS 4.6. However, these spaces shall not be provided in lieu of compliance with TAS 4.1.2(5). The vehicle space shall be at least 96 in wide and shall provide a 36 inch wide (minimum) accessible route complying with TAS 4.3 on both sides. This allows the user adequate space to exit their vehicle and access both sides of the vehicle. Striping of the accessible routes is recommended but not required. Twenty percent (20%) but not less than one, of each type of station in each cluster on a site shall be accessible. They shall have directional and informational signage complying with TAS 4.1.2(7) and the symbol of accessibility designating the location of the accessible charging stations. Controls and operating mechanisms shall comply with TAS 4.27 and be within the forward reach ranges specified in TAS 4.2.5."

More proof that more laws don't necessarily lead to compliance.

So, my wife just pulled into this charger from out-of-town...says there are still no numbers on the stalls - is that correct (or are they "hidden" somewhere)?

(Note: she will be back again next week so good to know beyond today).

Last edited:
I swung by these chargers today. All 10 are open, and 4 were being used when I arrived. Although there are only 10 chargers there are 13 spaces.

3 of the spaces are marked as handicapped and the chargers are oriented in such a way that two of them are essentially handicapped only (depending on your opinion of the handicapped signs being legal).

I know there are a lot of SCs opening in Austin, but San Antonio is jammed. I was there Saturday and had to wait 15 minutes and there were three cars behind me. All stalls were working, but of course, these are older V2 chargers, so speeds are cut in half by your neighbor. I don’t think many were locals (I wasn’t) and I saw a lot of out-of-stare license plates.

Reactions: CarlS