Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Antonio, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2016-6-18_15-54-31.png

Looking at the 2016 projection map, it seems that they do have plans for a SA supercharger, as well as one to the south, on I-37 about half-way to Corpus, and one to the west on I-10 in, what appears to be, the vicinity of Junction.

On the 2017 Supercharger possibilities map, there is a marker for a San Antonio location.

The likely location might be at the new Service Center that is permitted at 23011 I-10 W. The permits so far for this location do not show any mention of a Supercharger.

Taking a broader view, the routes to be served by a San Antonio location would be I-10 East and West, I-35 North and South, and I-37 South. Placement in the Service Center would be ideal for the I-10 traffic, but very inconvenient for the other routes.

A better location might be on I-10, somewhere between the intersection with I-35 and I-37. This would be usable for all three routes.

To Junction, TX - 121 mi
To Flatonia, TX - 89 mi
To San Marcos, TX - 47 mi
To Pearsall, TX - 59 mi
To Three Rivers, TX - 69 mi

My money is still on the Service Center location, even though it is not ideal for anything but I-10. I'm going off the precedent set by the Supercharger at the Houston Service Center, which isn't real convenient for travel in most directions, yet there it is.

• Informative
Reactions: mikerathbun
Not sure why, but there is a construction cone in Supercharge.info now for the SA Supercharger at the Service Center at 23011 w IH 10. There is no Supercharger construction there, as of 3/23/17. There is no permit for Supercharger construction in that location, but maybe @BlueShift has some information that we don't.

I certainly hope this turns out to be correct!

• Informative
Reactions: RichardD
I went by the new service center location about an hour ago. There are six electric conduits along the front parking lot, but the wires are of the size that will support six HPWC's. There is no sign of anything that looks like Super Chargers at this time.

That's what I was afraid of -- maybe the construction person that confirmed Supercharger installation didn't know what a Supercharger was. He knew there were going to be chargers, so he assumed they were "super".

Yeah, received an email yesterday mentioning that it looks like six superchargers are under construction here. Thus the construction cone in San Antonio. Removed the cone just now based on the observations of dturgeon, above. Thanks.

It's possible that it is Supercharger construction. Unfortunately I can't get back there until next week some time. Maybe someone can get some pictures? The best thing to do is to park in the defunct Music School parking lot next door (before you get to the SC) and walk over there on the sidewalk.

BerTX

there is a big difference between the conduits used for a SC and a HPWC and it is not possible that it is SC construction.

Don.

Thanks for the photo. Yeah, if that's it, then that looks to me like destination charging. I hope they put some sturdier posts around those conduits before they install the actual HPWC's.

Reactions: BerTX
BerTX

there is a big difference between the conduits used for a SC and a HPWC and it is not possible that it is SC construction.

Don.

View attachment 219995

Thanks for the confirmation!

At least we know where the Supercharger is NOT going to be.

Unfortunately, it's really hard to find permits in the SA database. But let's keep trying! Maybe we'll stumble on some construction soon.

Thanks for the photo. Yeah, if that's it, then that looks to me like destination charging. I hope they put some sturdier posts around those conduits before they install the actual HPWC's.

I wouldn't call it Destination Charging. Those are for Tesla use, primarily, for service, cars to be delivered, and loaners. They may allow some owners to charge if necessary until a Supercharger is completed nearby, I don't know.