Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Clemente, CA (LIVE 18 Nov 2017, 49 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, just learned that, although they don’t have to replace them often, the connectors have a cycle limit — so many # of connections before they PM replace the assy. Depending on the environment, and use models, the cycle may speed up. Like if it’s bitter cold or abuse is high (i.e., dropped wands where connector impacts concrete, et al). They remove the wand assy and rework.

I had to stop here for ~15 minutes on my way home from SD on Dec. 1. I encountered the locked garage gate and could see the glow from the superchargers at the far end, thus thought they were IN the garage like Temecula. Fortunately another Tesla came by soon so I followed it around to the back of the garage.

Hopefully signage has improved since then.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
I had to stop here for ~15 minutes on my way home from SD on Dec. 1. I encountered the locked garage gate and could see the glow from the superchargers at the far end, thus thought they were IN the garage like Temecula. Fortunately another Tesla came by soon so I followed it around to the back of the garage.

Hopefully signage has improved since then.
Agree. This one was very hard to find afterhours. Security guard ended up letting me through a gate and even with the pin on the Nav, he still needed to help me find it.

Coming from the south during normal Outlets hours (10am-8pm Mon-Thurs, 10am-9pm Fri-Sat), exit Avenida Pico off I-5, go west, turn right on Avenida Vista Hermosa. Then first right into the Outlets, then first right into the parking garage. Drive all the way through to the end.
Coming from the north, exit Avenida Vista Hermosa off I-5, go west, turn first left into the Outlets. Drive all the way through to the south end.

• Informative
Stopped here on the way back to Orange County after our Legoland day trip. Walked through the parking garage, up the escalator, and straight to Ruby's for dinner. Super Easy!

For the parents: kids eat free Tuesdays and Thursdays at Ruby's (ask to make sure).

Easy charging, a nice view, and easy freeway access make this is a great stop. It is now one of our favorite Superchargers!

Wasn’t sure where to post this. Saw this 40 minute sign tonight 7:30ish. Less than half of the stalls were occupied. I’m a new owner so I don’t know if signs like this are a common occurrence.

Attachments

• 6FEA4199-9C3F-42AE-A0CD-BF68AFB3A343.jpeg
    6FEA4199-9C3F-42AE-A0CD-BF68AFB3A343.jpeg
    376 KB · Views: 99
No... but they should be. :cool:
Perhaps for large battery cars that charge quickly, but 40 minutes isn't nearly enough for me to make longer trip legs -- I needed a charge well over an hour to make a 180 mile trip leg yesterday. Forty minutes was enough when I visited San Clemente though -- there are so many other Supercharger Stations around that I didn't have to go far to the next one. (However, San Diego is still pretty sparse on Superchargers, although Carlsbad helps.) So, I guess the sign make sense at San Clemente.

Gaswalla, it could not have been worse than our experience today at Rancho Cucamonga! 6 cars waiting, and when we finally plugged in, only 27 kw charge rate!

12 stalls with Teslas, half Model 3s, but only 3 or 4 stalls seemed to be in use-- the rest were parking spots as far as I could tell in our time there.

Are the idle charges in effect? Is that a real thing, or, fake news? Is it having any effect? Not that we could tell this afternoon at Rancho Cucamonga SC!

Reactions: gaswalla
So on Friday night around 2:30AM I found out that San Clemente Outlets have gates that close at some time during the night. (Not only the garage door, but there are physical gates that don't let you go around).

I had 2% battery when I got to San Clemente (as going to Carlsbad was 9 miles south), in hindsight, should've gone Carlsbad, but limped it to Best Western Dana Point Inn, where I charged on an unreliable (kept turning on/off every 10mins) J1772 at 6kW, and then limped it to San Juan Capistrano (at 20mph), where I arrived with 0%.

I thought San Clemente is supposed to be 24/7.

EDIT: So I called San Clemente Outlets Security, and they did say that there is a way that is not closed off by gates, if you go in through the bridge and keep left, you can make it all the way around.

I guess I panicked, having only 2% charge, and was worried that too much driving around would leave me stranded. Good to know for the future though.

Last edited:
So on Friday night around 2:30AM I found out that San Clemente Outlets have gates that close at some time during the night. (Not only the garage door, but there are physical gates that don't let you go around).

I had 2% battery when I got to San Clemente (as going to Carlsbad was 9 miles south), in hindsight, should've gone Carlsbad, but limped it to Best Western Dana Point Inn, where I charged on an unreliable (kept turning on/off every 10mins) J1772 at 6kW, and then limped it to San Juan Capistrano (at 20mph), where I arrived with 0%.

I thought San Clemente is supposed to be 24/7.

EDIT: So I called San Clemente Outlets Security, and they did say that there is a way that is not closed off by gates, if you go in through the bridge and keep left, you can make it all the way around.

I guess I panicked, having only 2% charge, and was worried that too much driving around would leave me stranded. Good to know for the future though.

I believe Tesla nav does take you around rather than cut through the garage. In case someone else has a similar situation

Reactions: jowaldo and David99
Never seen a line here before. Was 5th in line here today and a few cars stacking up behind me. Looks like sales are great but SC expansion continues to lag behind the sales curve.

The route between LA and SD has been neglected by Tesla for years. Now they have a hard time catching up. This location is a little tricky because people go to the mall and take their time. I think many spend more time than they would need to charge. I use that location often and it's crazy how busy it is almost all the time now.

Reactions: jowaldo
I believe Tesla nav does take you around rather than cut through the garage. In case someone else has a similar situation

When we were there in December, the Tesla Nav said we had arrived when we were at the mall entrance. It took us 5 or 6 minutes of driving around to actually find the chargers. I doubt we would have ever found them when most entrances were locked up.

• Informative