Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Clemente, CA (LIVE 18 Nov 2017, 49 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a major and repeating cluster and does not reflect well on Tesla at all. All SC need to be readily accessible without needing to view twenty pages of forum posts. And what is the point of having a number to call security if nobody answers at night? What century are we in again?

Also, I would not call the Carlsbad SC convenient. It's way too far off the freeway and it is almost as hard to find as the San Clemente location. I had to follow someone my first time there. It's just mind-boggling that with all the tech Tesla has this last-mile issue exists.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jazz3D
All SC need to be readily accessible without needing to view twenty pages of forum posts.
New software release 2020.12.5 includes a new feature, when you tap a Supercharger location on the nav map, in the pop up information window it will show if there are any non-operating stalls at that location.

As far your other complaint, it serves no purpose to bitch about the location of this Supercharger. It is where it is, and it’s better than no Supercharger in Carlsbad. Tesla cannot simply locate Superchargers wherever they want, they have to work with local property holders and the public utility.

Reactions: Jazz3D
New software release 2020.12.5 includes a new feature, when you tap a Supercharger location on the nav map, in the pop up information window it will show if there are any non-operating stalls at that location.

As far your other complaint, it serves no purpose to bitch about the location of this Supercharger. It is where it is, and it’s better than no Supercharger in Carlsbad. Tesla cannot simply locate Superchargers wherever they want, they have to work with local property holders and the public utility.
I respectfully disagree. While @lotusland may be a little unreasonable about the supercharger location in Carlsbad, he is spot on about the issue at this location. He was not referring to what stalls are functional, but how to get to the frickin' stalls in the first place! It is an extraordinary simple matter for Tesla to have signage at this location instructing people how to access the chargers. There are numerous (yes, numerous) posts on this thread about people who cannot figure out how to access this site after hours. That is no laughing matter. Having to read through numerous pages on a forum that most Tesla drivers do not even know exists, just to figure this out, is entirely unreasonable. Clearly this is an issue here. It would cost Tesla about $100 to put a sign up that says where to go after hours. Even faster, would be for Tesla to put something in the in-car nav that says how to do so. They could put the access code to a toilet, so they can certainly do this.

• Love
Reactions: cpa and dgpcolorado

And I wonder how accurate and timely this "feature" is. I installed 2020.12.5 yesterday, and it indicated that one stall was down at the Fresno Supercharger. So, I cruised down there this morning to see for myself. Still one unit out of service displayed. Upon arrival, the stalls were vacant, there were two stalls with the charging cable disconnected from the holster and wrapped around the frame. I quickly tested both of these, and both were kaput.

Four hours later, the touchscreen reflects all stalls are operational. I guess it is plausible that the technician arrived recently and fixed them. But I seriously doubt it.

This "feature" is only as good as Tesla wants it to be. Once designed and implemented, easily consigned to the dustbin of history while they work on something else.

They easily could have told us on the touchscreen which stalls are non-operating, doncha think? Instead we are left to grope about.

I don't think I mentioned "non-operating stalls" so I'm not sure what your comment refers to. My complaint is how hard it is to both find and access this SC. The Carlsbad SC is also not that easy to find. Average Joes are not going to be happy when they find out you need a secret decoder ring to safely drive a Tesla.

BTW "non-operating stalls" is also an issue.

FYI the status of these SuperChargers are WRONG

The site is undergoing repaving. The status is not taking into account that 9 are not available even though they are empty.

As you can see the status is 11 available but 9 are roped off.

When I asked the security guard had no info about when this work would be completed. If you make the logical Assertion that the other 12 will be repacked too, assume this will be an issue for awhile.

I will try to stop by every few days to update this post if someone else doesn’t.

226BBA75-1978-4B5E-B353-1EA18DB20054.png
873B361D-DA07-4E54-94E4-AF4BD2380C4E.jpeg

Actually it looks like their SEALING the asphalt (just coating & re-striping)... not PAVING (removing the top layer of asphalt then putting down new asphalt). Big difference since SEALING usually only makes that area unavailable for ~ 1 day if warm & dry vs. repaving 3 days.

Owning several industrial buildings educated me on this nuance. We've done PAVING on our older buildings but just SEALING on our newer ones.

IMHO definitely not a big deal, especially with COVID-19 traffic being so much lighter.

• Informative
Reactions: 4SUPER9 and Bacalao
Last night, this was my first stop on my trip to Tijuana. Pretty empty, just about 3-4 cars, I hit 135Kw maximum. And people, please take your trash to a TRASH container.

Attachments

• IMG_1326.jpeg
    IMG_1326.jpeg
    459 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1325.jpeg
    IMG_1325.jpeg
    626.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1328.jpeg
    IMG_1328.jpeg
    463.1 KB · Views: 68
7C38A7B9-6477-4605-9C09-0D6B3EC358FF.jpeg
Well well well, look who us getting a big expansion. I counted 28 of those pedestals. Looks like San Clemente Outlets will soon have 21 current V2 plus 28 upcoming V3 looks like. @bmah @Chuq @Big Earl

Attachments

• 518CB46F-7C8E-44C4-9333-229A84935901.jpeg
    518CB46F-7C8E-44C4-9333-229A84935901.jpeg
    998.3 KB · Views: 53
  • A5A42110-7091-4691-B59E-87E98B532351.jpeg
    A5A42110-7091-4691-B59E-87E98B532351.jpeg
    770.4 KB · Views: 50
  • F6A3D9AF-CD72-4D20-9898-A37C8CF9A652.jpeg
    F6A3D9AF-CD72-4D20-9898-A37C8CF9A652.jpeg
    588.8 KB · Views: 49
  • BC785492-3955-4671-9887-AB5E9947C124.jpeg
    BC785492-3955-4671-9887-AB5E9947C124.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
  • 5DFE8776-1CD3-41DF-A151-F8F0E5A2DA8A.jpeg
    5DFE8776-1CD3-41DF-A151-F8F0E5A2DA8A.jpeg
    645.4 KB · Views: 86
I never realized the pedestal bases were pre-fabricated. Smart and must save a ton of money/time, and increases consistencies. We are definitely reaping the benefits of more Supercharger sites, higher output, and expanded stall counts. I remember the old days when 8 stalls at a site was big...and when you got bummed out when you were paired with someone that throttled your charging rate.

I'm not in San Clemente often, but this is a site that I use when I'm coming back from San Diego.

Reactions: rayluis1988