Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Clemente, CA (LIVE 18 Nov 2017, 49 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3C8E893F-C78C-4EB6-A797-DF838AAFE726.jpeg
Cable digging has begun!

Since the City of San Clemente has already approved the permit, the biggest hold up would be the inspectors nit-picking. Typically, this can be overcome by simply establishing a good rapport and showing the inspector proper respect. Ask what the rules are and follow them from the onset. Ask the inspector questions about what he/she expects along the way so that their needs are fulfilled. This has worked for me on every project I have done. The inspector starts off with an attitude, and by the second visit has a smile on his face, looks over everything, makes a comment or two, signs the paperwork, shakes my hand and happily drives off. You get more bees with honey...

90 days seems a long ways out if they were really going after it. I guess it is a larger location but you think start to finish (weather dependent) they could get this handled in 2 months.

Let's hope so for the sake of the poor people who are forced to use sjc location..... it's so bad that I really don't think we can call it a supercharger anymore. It's a place to charge, not quickly.

There have been other sites that have been built in a matter of a few weeks. I think I remember one that was under 3 weeks start to finish. One would figure that Tesla has this process nailed down now. Even with varied contractors, they must have a master schematic that could be followed. At the same time, look at Buena Park. The contractor did such a horrible job, they had to pretty much rip the whole thing out and start over. SJC was also horrible, though the delays were attributed to legal issues with the landlord.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
The Outlet information desk said, "opens in November", must be Elon time

Attachments

• IMG_0103.JPG
    IMG_0103.JPG
    444.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0105.JPG
    IMG_0105.JPG
    553.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0106.JPG
    IMG_0106.JPG
    315.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0109.JPG
    IMG_0109.JPG
    312.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0110.JPG
    IMG_0110.JPG
    281.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0111.JPG
    IMG_0111.JPG
    339.1 KB · Views: 83
  • Funny
Reactions: anonim1979
Since the City of San Clemente has already approved the permit, the biggest hold up would be the inspectors nit-picking. Typically, this can be overcome by simply establishing a good rapport and showing the inspector proper respect. Ask what the rules are and follow them from the onset. Ask the inspector questions about what he/she expects along the way so that their needs are fulfilled. This has worked for me on every project I have done. The inspector starts off with an attitude, and by the second visit has a smile on his face, looks over everything, makes a comment or two, signs the paperwork, shakes my hand and happily drives off. You get more bees with honey...
I've also had success using that approach. I can't tell you any A-B tests, though, since I've always used that approach.

My boss at the time explained to me that the inspector has to feel useful. I expanded immediately upon that by always finding something simple to do wrong that doesn't show that I disrespect them or am doing anything unsafe, but at least they get to feel useful showing me something that I did wrong. If I'm lucky, I already did something wrong and don't have to try. Then, they feel useful. Always be gracious, attempt to do the best job to be compliant and safe, and then they'll appreciate that very much, especially once they feel useful. It has to be done with care: you can't make it obvious that you're doing anything unsafe, or that you are ignoring their dictates; those would make them feel not only disrespected but also like you are being unsafe. And the more you do wrong, the more they want to prevent you from doing anything.

So, I agree with 4SUPER9.
4Super9 how does that work? Adding SC stations without digging to lay electric transmission wire?
I learned something new this summer: some places use vacuums to dig holes to find existing conduit so they don't do damage to it when doing more groundwork. I suppose vacuums could also be used to dig holes under sidewalks, but I'd really hate that as a method, since it would be near impossible to fill all those weird vacuum-made voids. The vacuums I'm talking about are powerful truck sized vacuums that are owned by the groundwork companies. For instance, in Santa Clara County, Albanese has one. On a project I was on, they vacuumed dozens of holes in the area where they were going to put new trenches and re-grade, to find all the existing conduit. It only took them a couple hours to do all of that vacuuming to find conduit work, and identified all the conduit no problem very quickly; I certainly see why they use that method, since it's easy, quick and mostly non-destructive. It annoyed me a lot, though, since they left the holes there all summer, and I had to drive around them the whole time with my forklift (they created a hazard, and they had dozens of the damn holes all over). I also was perplexed how they'd fill them; hopefully with some sort of space filling sand.

I already knew vacuums could dig holes, but it was somewhat new to me that anybody was actually doing it. Indeed they are.

But for conduit, I find it much more likely they use some other more traditional method, like poking a hole in the ground or using some sort of drilling method.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vern Padgett