Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Clemente, CA (LIVE 18 Nov 2017, 49 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really don't think we will have any issues with locals, me being one of them. I was really hoping for them to choose the Carl's Jr. At Cristianitios exit as it's got a gigantic parking lot and two restaurants next to it and it's literally 12 seconds off the freeway but I suppose this one makes a ton of sense, the other nice thing about south San clemente is it's the least populated area of town so we wouldn't have to contend with as many locals.

This will be awesome tho, I'm guessing it'll basically render sjc useless for any body driving la-SD route... I hate stopping there. Just getting to it can be 10 minutes.

Reactions: Vern Padgett
I really don't think we will have any issues with locals, me being one of them

Is there even any truth to the claims that locals are squatting at SJC? I think that was just someone's speculation that eventually became a fact in people's minds. Last time I was at SJC (about a year ago) they had an attendant greeting and plugging in cars. With such oversight I can't imagine anyone getting away with leaving their car there for much longer than it needs to be.

If people are only getting 24kW due to the entire array being underpowered, I can see why it might look like people are squatting. I recently had the same problem at Burbank where a 20 minute charge took 40+ minutes because all the chargers slowed down with all in use. I hope their new locations are all going to have enough power to survive nearly full capacity at full charging speed. Of course you really need to build enough stalls to prevent them all from filling up except in extraordinary circumstances. We should never see lines of cars waiting for a spot if EVs are to be accepted as mainstream.

If people are only getting 24kW due to the entire array being underpowered, I can see why it might look like people are squatting. I recently had the same problem at Burbank where a 20 minute charge took 40+ minutes because all the chargers slowed down with all in use. I hope their new locations are all going to have enough power to survive nearly full capacity at full charging speed.

I can tell you they are not built underpowered. The utility electrical service is rated for full power. I've had some recent SC charging experience. Seems that when I'm driving early and stop at an SC at 5-6am with a warmed up car from driving, I get full power. But when I stop later in the day with more cars charging, and higher ambient temps, I don't seem to be able to achieve those higher charging levels all the time. And the handles are sometimes very warm when I plug in from the previous charging sessions. That's why I think the de-rating is occurring....

Is there even any truth to the claims that locals are squatting at SJC? I think that was just someone's speculation that eventually became a fact in people's minds. Last time I was at SJC (about a year ago) they had an attendant greeting and plugging in cars. With such oversight I can't imagine anyone getting away with leaving their car there for much longer than it needs to be.

If people are only getting 24kW due to the entire array being underpowered, I can see why it might look like people are squatting. I recently had the same problem at Burbank where a 20 minute charge took 40+ minutes because all the chargers slowed down with all in use. I hope their new locations are all going to have enough power to survive nearly full capacity at full charging speed. Of course you really need to build enough stalls to prevent them all from filling up except in extraordinary circumstances. We should never see lines of cars waiting for a spot if EVs are to be accepted as mainstream.

I have to charge here frequently due to the drive from SD to LA and back. I can confirm that there are significant locals that come, drop their car off, and then pick it up a few hours later. Have noted a few "routine offenders". I only stick around long enough to get enough juice to make it home.

Of course, it doesn't help at all that this SpC has been underpowered for about 18 months now at least. When the stalls are full, you can expect 25-50 kW MAX, regardless of your SoC.

I have to charge here frequently due to the drive from SD to LA and back. I can confirm that there are significant locals that come, drop their car off, and then pick it up a few hours later. Have noted a few "routine offenders". I only stick around long enough to get enough juice to make it home.

Of course, it doesn't help at all that this SpC has been underpowered for about 18 months now at least. When the stalls are full, you can expect 25-50 kW MAX, regardless of your SoC.
If you see someone that you are extremely confident is abusing the process, please note their VIN and notify Tesla. While Tesla is aware of who is doing this, some of their reaction is automated (i.e.: Idle Fees). If they are also reported, this will flag the driver and put them on a watch list (I would hope).

San Clemente is an ideal location geographically for the same reason that SJC was. There is simply no ability to expand SJC.
Additional points both south and north would be nice, and apparently in the works. Still, this region is perfect for making a trip up and down this corridor and stopping here on the way back (either direction).

If you see someone that you are extremely confident is abusing the process, please note their VIN and notify Tesla. While Tesla is aware of who is doing this, some of their reaction is automated (i.e.: Idle Fees). If they are also reported, this will flag the driver and put them on a watch list (I would hope).
If Tesla wants to deal with the problem they don't need anybody to tell them who is abusing the process. They know where you live. They know where you charge and how often and how much. They know your state of charge when you start and when you stop. They even know if you hang around the car or leave, and likely where you go (if you look at the app).

It is not for a lack of knowing that Tesla does nothing specific. Perhaps they expect the problem will take care of itself as such cars become a tiny minority of those on the road.

If Tesla wants to deal with the problem they don't need anybody to tell them who is abusing the process. They know where you live. They know where you charge and how often and how much. They know your state of charge when you start and when you stop. They even know if you hang around the car or leave, and likely where you go (if you look at the app).

It is not for a lack of knowing that Tesla does nothing specific. Perhaps they expect the problem will take care of itself as such cars become a tiny minority of those on the road.

Yes, Tesla has been way too timid and restrained on this issue, IMHO.

I get what you are saying, and do appreciate the sentiment. Most of us do police ourselves, and do so well. I doubt the abusers we all complain about are reading or commenting on this magnificent forum.

While what we are talking about is more on point with SJC and the topic of supercharger abuse in general, I will respond here for lack of an immediate better place. I feel there is a distinct difference between seeing data points on a graph somewhere, maybe buried deep in the bowels of Tesla's algorithms, compared to actual complaints heard directly from concerned customers. I have, for too long, worked in an industry where we have learned that lives could be saved only if someone spoke up, even if about a seemingly minuscule problem, one that everyone thought somebody else knew about. Given, this issue cannot compare to a life and death scenario.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with speaking up when you see something that is not quite kosher. If I was to witness someone clearly (and I do mean clearly) abusing the Supercharger process, I would think it reasonable to notify Tesla. While they may already have the data, we do not know if they have taken the time to correctly interpret it. Maybe they did, maybe they did not. Maybe they could actually benefit from someone saying "Hey, did you see that?" Tesla could then decide on whether our input was or was not beneficial. They could chose to say "Thank you. We will look into it" and move on, or they could alternatively say, "Hey, that guy is right! This customer is routinely hoarding a space for hours at a time. How did we miss that!" None of us know for sure, and given what many of us here have personally witnessed, I would definitely not automatically assume that Tesla knows and watches absolutely everything as some of you suggested. They do have other things to do, you know.

Last edited:
San Clemente, CA

Interstates: I-5
US Numbered Highways: None

I-5:
To: San Juan Capistrano, CA - 6.4 miles
Diversion: 0.7 miles
To: Santa Ana, CA - 30.7 miles

Temecula, CA (I-5,CA-76,I-15,CA-79): 56.6 miles
San Diego, CA (I-5,I-805): 49.7 miles
Fountain Valley, CA (I-5,CA-73,I-405): 29.8 miles
San Juan Capistrano, CA (I-5): 6.4 miles
Santa Ana, CA (I-5): 30.7 miles

Unless you saw the same person in the same car repeatedly charging those people have very right to plug there car in and walk away. If you've stayed there for two hours to investigate them and watch their activities that's an issue also. We all have a right To supercharge and I 1000% agree nobody should abuse it or else we will all loose it but telling on people whom you suspect may be a local is going to far guys.

Say it face to face or leave a note, tesla has all the data on all of our cars like someone above mentioned. I've seen people do some really awful things to people at the fountain valley location based on assumptions.... better to keep it all civil in the "tesla" family. We should be able to police ourselves.

feel there is a distinct difference between seeing data points on a graph somewhere, maybe buried deep in the bowels of Tesla's algorithms, compared to actual complaints heard directly from concerned customers.

I agree with this one. To those who done live nd breath in the area, abuse is a data point. In the analytic it chart on a graph and unless the abuse it high, it is nothing more than a data point. Bear in mind the millions of charging occurs around the globe. To the local who uses it properly, to them those who abuses it ruin the system for them. They followed the rules, so should others.

Whenever I charge, I sit in the car and only charge at most 80% or 30 minutes out of courtesy for those waiting. Exception is no one around with plenty available or long trip that I need 100%. If I walk away from the car, I return the before the text saying it is almost done and never do it while watching a movie or at a restaurant.

Other in the other hand do not have same value. Leaving charge plugged in and drive off in another car to come back hrs later. Or just park because it's EV and that's the only available in the whole lot or already full long time ago, just don't care enough to move it. To me that's rude and showing disrespect to fellow Tesla owners.