Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego CA - A Street (LIVE 27 Jun 2018, 16 Urban type)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting, today (Saturday August 11th) I went into the lot to charge at 4:55 pm, and when I left around 5:15 I got out for free. The gate arm was up and they weren't checking tickets. :)

The 6th avenue exit was closed and they had signs up telling people to exit on Ash Street.

Seems like it is a hit or miss situation about getting out without the $5 fee. I'm from out of town and was in the San Diego area for 5 days and didn't know that the first 15 minutes were free. However, I'm paranoid about driving downtown (because of the traffic and congestion) in just about any big city, so I avoided this downtown SC during my visit even though it was sometimes closer to it than I was to the SC's (12 of them) in the Qualcomm parking lot, which is about 15 miles away. I was generally wanting to charge up between 4:30-5:00pm and didn't realize the number of Teslas that would be at the Qualcomm SC at those times. First time, was in line for about 15 minutes, second time about 5 minutes, and third time about 10 minutes before I could start charging. Charging is relatively slow------took about an hour to add about 125 miles. Also, there are no facilities available to use. When waiting in line, one can only easily see the (non)availability for charging in 6 of the slots, but difficult to see whether cars are in the other 6 slots while seated in the car. An attendant, paid for by Tesla I'm told, is supposed to be in the lot directing traffic at the busiest times, but I only saw one there once. San Diego is a great area to visit, but supercharging is a hassle for out of towners. I'm sure it will be a lot easier once those other planned SC's in the area are completed and up and running.

San Diego downtown is relatively traffic and congestion free. I wouldn’t avoid this SC because of fears of that.

Reactions: RBowen
Hey just got a fraud alert on my credit card and one of the last places I used it was this garage.

Just checking to see if anyone else got the same recently maybe there's a skimmer in the reader.

I have told many GasBuddies that one of many reasons for going EV &/or Tesla was not to have to use my credit card to fill up with the fear of getting caught with a skimmer in a card reader. This charging location just blew away this one reason. This sucks.

I have told many GasBuddies that one of many reasons for going EV &/or Tesla was not to have to use my credit card to fill up with the fear of getting caught with a skimmer in a card reader. This charging location just blew away this one reason. This sucks.

Skimming will go away once credit card companies get their act together and eliminate magnetic strips. (They also need to make the numbers printed on credit card useless to thieves.) Though hopefully these companies actually care about this more than it appears.

Reactions: X-drvr
Skimming will go away once credit card companies get their act together and eliminate magnetic strips. (They also need to make the numbers printed on credit card useless to thieves.) Though hopefully these companies actually care about this more than it appears.

We really need chip and pin in the US .apparently it's coming but the merchants are slow to adapt, and in the past didn't have to bear much of the cost of fraud.
Why Is the U.S. Determined to Have the Least-Secure Credit Cards in the World? - The Atlantic

But that's a topic for another forum.

We really need chip and pin in the US .apparently it's coming but the merchants are slow to adapt, and in the past didn't have to bear much of the cost of fraud.
Why Is the U.S. Determined to Have the Least-Secure Credit Cards in the World? - The Atlantic

But that's a topic for another forum.

The chip prevents skimming, while the PIN prevents unauthorized use by someone who has physical possession of the card. I think universal adoption of chip, even without PIN, would be a large step toward reducing credit card fraud.

When pulling into garage:
1. Open stopwatch app on your phone
2. Press "start" and ticket button at the same time.
3. Plug in
4. At ~12 min, go up the elevator to the second floor
5. At ~14 min, insert ticket into machine and press "lap" button of stopwatch app at the same time. Take new ticket and head back to car.
6. At ~13 min on new ticket, unplug and head out (in case a car in front of you takes a minute to pay or shuffle out of their own spot.

Congratulations, now you've charged for ~26 minutes for FREE and only had to park once. Just the way God intended. Who needs Mira Mesa if you live south of the 8? (rhetorical question; I care not for your unique situation)

3. Plug in
5. At ~14 min, insert ticket into machine and press "lap" button of stopwatch app at the same time. Take new ticket and head back to car.
6. At ~13 min on new ticket, unplug and head out (in case a car in front of you takes a minute to pay or shuffle out of their own spot.

Congratulations, now you've charged for ~26 minutes for FREE and only had to park once. Just the way God intended. Who needs Mira Mesa if you live south of the 8? (rhetorical question; I care not for your unique situation)
Then take a lap around the block and DO IT AGAIN!!

• Funny
Reactions: David99 and ord3r
3. Plug in

This was a very helpful tutorial!

And to answer my own question, it appears the machine does take cash (wouldn't know for sure since I supercharged for FREE using the above instructions), so for those of you wishing to avoid any credit card issues, you can just pop in a $5 bill.

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen