Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego CA - A Street (LIVE 27 Jun 2018, 16 Urban type)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is absolutely ‘zero’ grace period.

If you enter the garage you will be charged.

You can thank the TESLA Uber drivers for literally charging for 10 min and then circling the block and charging again.

When people don’t play fair we all lose.

1. :'-< :'-< :'-<
2. Not True, did it last weekend. You will always pay when using the machine at the elevator on the second floor (even if you cancel without paying), but leaving in under 14 minutes and just driving out is still free

And how exactly do "we all lose"? It seems like the supposed policy change would make you happy, since it would abate your needless jealousy of others
How would it make me happy when now they changed their ‘flat rate’ from after 5 pm to after 6pm and now no longer on Saturday during the day. Like I said, when people abuse the system we all pay a penalty

Last edited:
So sorry about your car.

I think if I was a regular user of this Supercharger I would do three things:
1. Use the last open slot on the left side.
2. Back as far as possible to give the most room in front of the car.
3. Build a device to protect the front of my car.

I was thinking of something that I can roll up for storage, then unroll and attach to the front, kind of like a protective blanket. It would have two walls, the inside against the car would be soft with foam padding. The outside layer would have some sort of "crumple zone" but the outside would be highly reflective, with something like 4 inch nails sticking out. If anyone got too close the nails would warn them they are too close as the side of their car or truck was scratched. It would have to be tall enough that any side mirrors would get the warning first. I may even have flashing warning lights on it.

Since only the right front would be exposed when parked on the left side, or the left front exposed when parked on the right, this device would not have to be too long, maybe 4 feet tall, and maybe 2 feet across. Maybe 4 inches of crumple zone, plus the 4 inch nails, would only take up about 8 inches of space so it would be the same as stopping 8 inches from the very back of the parking stall.

Now that I am thinking about it, I could see the outside being two pieces of 1/4" plywood with heavy cloth or old carpet as the hinge. This way you could pound the nails, or even deck screws, from the inside out. It could all be spray painted with some bright reflective paint as warning, with small, battery operated flashing lights that could be switched on when charging to give further warning to cars passing by.

Maybe a couple of these could be built and left at the Supercharger, one for the first car on each side to use. Maybe we do not have to attached them to the car, but drill a mounting hole in the concrete floor at the proper distance from where the car should be, then just attached it to the floor when you set it up after parking. That sounds better so when it is hit it will not push against the car.

any thoughts????
Probably get stolen

Is there street parking around? We will be picking up my husband’s Model 3 today while I have the Model S. I won’t have enough charge to get back home for sure, so thinking of charging here instead of going to Qualcomm. Trying to see if he can park his car outside while we charge mine in the garage.

Need to be in the area for a concert at the HOB at 6pm - thinking about getting here around 4pm, SC'ing if necessary (coming from LA or SD so most likely), then vacating the spot and parking elsewhere in the garage. Does anyone know if the flat fee pricing on Sundays is still in effect? Based on a previous post it appeared to be $5 but then it looks like there's no more flat fee so I figured I'd just ask locals for a quick update.

Thanks in advance!

Need to be in the area for a concert at the HOB at 6pm - thinking about getting here around 4pm, SC'ing if necessary (coming from LA or SD so most likely), then vacating the spot and parking elsewhere in the garage. Does anyone know if the flat fee pricing on Sundays is still in effect? Based on a previous post it appeared to be $5 but then it looks like there's no more flat fee so I figured I'd just ask locals for a quick update.

Thanks in advance!
Yeah it'll cost ya $5 all day on Sunday. I would recommend using one of the two destination chargers after vacating the super chargers in order to avoid the idle fees and continue charging.

• Helpful
Reactions: caltechkid
The A street Supercharger has been sketchy at night after reading through the posts here. The stalls are tight and many establishments are closed in the evening(starbucks). I have found it easier to drive a few miles north to Fashion Valley with 24 Urban Superchargers and hardly ever a wait.
Which is why the site has always been so unpopular, judging from the free-stall counts in my car.

Reactions: logan and JeffnReno
My point was that one of the only 2 stations in the tourist area of SD is located in an inconvenient location (Parking Garage) where u have to pay fees to get access to. The stations in SJ are all in parking lots with easy access. It's not about which city has more stations, it's about convenience.
When you are on a trip, you don't want to waste your time searching for a station inside a parking garage. Just read how many drivers have complained about that particular station in DT SD.
I had a much worse experience in DT LA where I had to leave the car to a valet attendant to drive it to valet parking, pay $11 and wait and see when my car is brought back.

My point was that one of the only 2 stations in the tourist area of SD is located in an inconvenient location (Parking Garage) where u have to pay fees to get access to. The stations in SJ are all in parking lots with easy access. It's not about which city has more stations, it's about convenience.
When you are on a trip, you don't want to waste your time searching for a station inside a parking garage. Just read how many drivers have complained about that particular station in DT SD.
I had a much worse experience in DT LA where I had to leave the car to a valet attendant to drive it to valet parking, pay $11 and wait and see when my car is brought back.
Please go read through the Sorrento Valley thread if you want to realize how ridiculous your complaints sound :)

Also, wrt the LA supercharger, you certainly didn't have to use that supercharger. There are many others in the LA area. It sounds more like you failed to do any research and then were upset that you had to valet and pay $11. All that info is in the Nav if you had looked. And obviously much more information is available on this forum and other places like Plugshare, Tesla forum, etc.

Reactions: gaswalla