Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego CA - A Street (LIVE 27 Jun 2018, 16 Urban type)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to go downtown yesterday to get some photos, but was unable to make it. I will be there Next Sunday so will get some updated photos then. Thanks for these. So happy to see San Diego progress, even though I will probably never use them. It is nice to see something available for Tesla visitors to San Diego.

$16 for two hours parking charge
And these are underpowered “urban” chargers that will take twice as long. Ouch!

Not a lot of other great options downtown. I tend to use the county building on Kettner but that's a $10 parking charge +
$0.20/kWh, $0.55/hour parking, so easily approaching $20 for a slow charge.

Oh and that parking fee goes to $20 sometimes.

The rest are valet spots at hotels or blink chagers in ACE lots.

Kinda wish this would've been at Fashion Valley or Liberty Station but beggars can't be choosers.

I'm interested to see if they work out some sort of deal for parking. For Example the Riverside Supercharger allows Teslas to park for free while charging, and you just have to fill out a line on their list of Teslas when you leave.

Also, the Urban Chargers are not actually "underpowered" as such, At busy locations I actually think they might be a bit more advantageous.

Traditional 135kW Supercharger - Example:
Car 1 on Supercharger 1A is charging at 120kW,
Car 2 shows up, and plugs into Stall 1B.
Car 1 will throttle down to 105kW, Car 2 will be at 30kW.

As Car 1 throttles down, Car 2 will speed up, all on that shared 135kW. You're hoping that Car 1 leaves ASAP, but with general supercharging etiquette, this usually isn't the case. Therefore only once Car 1 throttles down past 63kW, Car 2 will get more than 72kW.

Urban 72kW Supercharger - Example,

Car X charges continuously at 72kW until they start throttling down, which may occur after 80-90%.

I just came back to the forum after making the initial post about the permit. Wow! I'm shocked this made it to a new post! ha! Thank you, @Cosmacelf for finding the permit details on Open DSD. I was really afraid to mention anything without having more concrete information. So, thanks for confirming!

I'm still a bit curious as to how they plan on installing the stalls inside the parking garage... I've never been to a SC within a paid garage so, will we have to pay to park? :-/ Hmmm.... Regardless, I'm thankful to see another SC in the area.
Permits finally approved and the construction room has started. The chargers look to be a newer model with longer hoses. The Downtown SC should be open within the next 45 days!!!!

60272A08-47F6-4CCD-A1F1-FA7F4C8AA972.jpeg
Permits finally approved and construction has started. I haven’t seen these SC’s before so I’m not sure if their Urban, faster or slower then other chargers. Either way, this is exciting news for Urban dwellers with no access to charging in underground parking structures.

My guess is Tesla has runs really lean and is tackling the more acute areas like the Bay and LA first where there are probably even more cars per stall in some areas, and people transit through LA as well.

SD is kind of the end of the road until we see more buildout into Mexico.

I don't see why the city would throw up roadblocks. Maybe the utility is being a pain but I'm just speculating

It would be nice to see just a bunch of destination chargers put up instead. Frankly installing more of those at shopping centers would be preferable to an urban supercharger.

Why SDG&E isn't rolling out L2 chargers massively is baffling to me. EVs are the best thing to happen to them since air conditioning. Especially with overall electricity demand falling
Well,, it is some good guessing, but most of the problem is due to lots of projects going on in SD and building dept gets backed up at times.
Tesla can't push it faster even if want too. Example, on a related charging project down there a few months ago, I had an inspector give me this exact snarky comment.... "I'm overloaded and it's like having a baby. It takes what it takes. Don't ask me to give you a baby in 3 months." !!!! So I figured one snotty comment deserved another. "Ok, put 3 women on the job and give me 3 babies in 9 months"! He didn't laugh.

I don't know about the fee, but it won't take twice as long to charge. I don't call them underpowered. It MIGHT take 30% longer for a full charge depending on several variables.. Certainly not double. And the main reason I say this is because although you might be limited to 72KW when starting to charge with a low battery, as you start to get to a higher charge, the car BMS is going to limit the amount of current going into the batteries anyway and more often than not, it will be lower than what the charger can provide. That's why I say you MIGHT wait 30% longer and even that number is high.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vern Padgett
For those of us that start at 90+ kw that quickly drop to below 72 kw there will be very little extra time. For those of us who are at a full SC that start at 25 kw, that eventually increases to 50 or 60 kw, this will be a lot faster. In the final analysis I believe only those with 100 kWh batteries will notice any increase in time to charge, and maybe will be faster if they are waiting in like for the next open spot and are a lower priority at the higher power SC.

I just went here to check it out in person during lunch time.
  • usual parking is $200/mo, there is a waitlist
  • no deal between ace parking/Tesla has been set in terms of how much Tesla owner have to pay for parking
  • Est May-July opening
First message in the forum.

I just went here to check it out in person during lunch time.
  • usual parking is $200/mo, there is a waitlist
  • no deal between ace parking/Tesla has been set in terms of how much Tesla owner have to pay for parking
  • Est May-July opening
First message in the forum.
My understanding is that there will be a short grace period to charge a Tesla, but I haven't seen it approved. We shall see what is the final verdict with the complex owner.

With all those $200 per month each parking spaces taken up with the SC, I suspect that Tesla is paying some sort of fee to get these spaces. If that is the case, then there should not be an additional charge for Tesla drivers to plug in for a charge. Just speculation.

I will get down there either today or tomorrow and get some more photos.