Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego CA - A Street (LIVE 27 Jun 2018, 16 Urban type)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all those $200 per month each parking spaces taken up with the SC, I suspect that Tesla is paying some sort of fee to get these spaces. If that is the case, then there should not be an additional charge for Tesla drivers to plug in for a charge. Just speculation.

I will get down there either today or tomorrow and get some more photos.

Yea, it could be. I haven't asked about that particular agreement, but typically what happens with other SCs where they are in open areas is there is a multi-year agreement for the owner of the real estate to provide the space for the SCs and equipment, and Tesla pays for the installation. The big difference here is that I don't see any way for the garage owner to benefit from giving up spaces unless they get money for the spaces.

Updated as of Apr 08: Power is being supplied to the pedestals overhead. Things appear to be moving pretty fast still.
DTSC08APR1.jpg
DTSC08APR2.jpg
DTSC08APR3.jpg
DTSC08APR4.jpg
DTSC08APR5.jpg
DTSC08APR6.jpg
DTSC08APR7.jpg
DTSC08APR8.jpg

Thank you @rmsargent for all the great photos. I was also able to visit this afternoon and took lots of pics. I will not duplicate what have already been posted, but will show a few more shots of how to find this site.

It is located on Sixth Ave, which is a one-way heading south. You enter from the intersection of Sixth Ave. and Ash St. Head south on Sixth Ave. and enter the parking garage on the right, half-way down the block from Ash St. to A St. Go down one level on the right, then right, then the Superchargers.

IMG_0124.JPG
IMG_0123.JPG
IMG_0122.JPG
IMG_0121.JPG
IMG_0115.JPG
IMG_0118.JPG

I live in downtown SD and stopped in on a daily walk to check it out.....got a couple of odd responses. First, I saw the workers doing their hook up stuff and inquired how long it would be til it was ready. The worker stated "we aren't allowed to talk about it" - ODD? I then walked up the ramp to the office and inquired about the chargers availability because I have noticed the garage is closed on weekends. I was told by the attendant that yes, they close on weekends except for tenants in the building. Im assuming she was referring to the retail business' on the ground floor as the upper levels are all parking lot. I then inquired about parking fees because this is a pay lot. She advised me the cost is $8 an hour or $24 for the day. Not sure either person I spoke with had any understanding what so ever about Tesla chargers. Oh well.....Ill just keep checking....looks like it should be ready soon.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
$8/hour (at least during non-business hours) on top of $0.26/kW, eh?

In a perfect world there would be a validation code (in the Nav pop-up) to enter upon exiting during non-business hours to keep parity with business hours if site users get validated in the first place. That assumes as well a certain level of automation.

At least the Carlsbad location(s) will take some of the pressure off the Qualcomm site. Only positive of parking garage sites is that they're usually in the shade (see Savannah, GA, Vegas downtown, and Edmonton, AB as examples of that).

Thanks for the pictures and info.

Drove by both Saturday and Sunday.....the lot closes its doors, it was totally locked up on the weekend. Wonder if that will change when the chargers are turned on? I havent checked late evening, but this place is definitely isnt a 24/7 facility at this point.

Well, that’s disturbing.

Perhaps there will be a 24/7 access code included in the pop-up information window for this SC. Presuming there’s a keypad, and given the “totally locked up” nature of after-hours and weekends, that appears unlikely.

I didn’t think the Southwest region could screw up any worse than with the botched OC (Orange County, CA) SC rollout (see SJC followed by FV). But San Diego is definitely making a run for the title with its overloaded ONE SC so far in FOUR YEARS and what looks like a restricted access #2 on deck.

Did the regional team drop the ball again?

Has anyone emailed the SC team for clarification? Or asked the property manager?

25855D3C-C0EE-4200-B03D-8A9C93DBFF92.jpeg
9731EDB0-589B-4B52-8C77-61805A715379.jpeg
13B4572F-C6C4-431B-9F74-0A46D4ED5BFC.jpeg
I spoke to Lisa in the garage office his afternoon. A few data points from her: 1) The garage is open 6am - 6pm Monday-Friday. 2) Monthly tenants pay $200/mo to park, 3) No overnight parking 4) Key fob access for tenants 5) Targeting a mid-May Supercharger opening. She had no idea how Teslas would access outside normal business hours.

The Superchargers are located on Level 1 which is one level below the ground entrance. They will need to reconfigure the entrance to allow easy access to the SC deck below, otherwise the pay/exit scheme will be painful if it remains as is. I am a fan of any new SC in San Diego, but this site is not very appealing at first glance. Anyways, the crew was hard at work and the rubber parking blocks are floating in their stalls waiting to be installed.

I was talking to the parking valet at the QCOM location this afternoon. I mentioned to her that this SD location is nearing completion. She said that her boss (assuming he's the parking lot operator) is working to get 1 hour free for Tesla drivers. She did not know any of the details on how they will manage this site. I guess we will find out soon.

• Informative
BE NOT AFRAID, BE OF GOOD CHEER! I am sure Tesla would not be spending all this money for the San Diego Downtown Supercharger if it could not be accessed be visiting Tesla cars 24/7. I also am confident that there will be some sort of validation for charging Tesla's that will allow FREE parking, at least for the first hour, maybe more. jmho

Well there is this one Supercharger in NY that you can only if you pay the monthly parking fee which is somewhere around $400 or so. They don't let people in to just charge. Worst Supercharger location I have heard of.
I would be surprised if Tesla puts in a large urban Supercharger that has no access at night nor weekends. That would be crazy. Considering how desperate the Supercharger situation is around San Diego I'd be surprised if Tesla would make such a poor choice.

My guess on why they don't open on weekend is that it is too expensive to have someone there guarding... The area isn't that great (DT sd isn't that great). Just 2-3 blocks away I park on Fridays and I had someone defecated in front of my car. fml. Paid a much cheaper 15$ parking though.

• Informative
Well there is this one Supercharger in NY that you can only if you pay the monthly parking fee which is somewhere around $400 or so. They don't let people in to just charge. Worst Supercharger location I have heard of.
I would be surprised if Tesla puts in a large urban Supercharger that has no access at night nor weekends. That would be crazy. Considering how desperate the Supercharger situation is around San Diego I'd be surprised if Tesla would make such a poor choice.

Leave it New York to come up with such a cockamamie extortion scheme like that, and for people there to go for it. Then again, since New York City is the centre of the universe and nothing is real until it happens there...

Sorry, got off on a New York bashing rant.