Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego CA - A Street (LIVE 27 Jun 2018, 16 Urban type)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Riverside CA SC are also in a parking structure top level. When they initially openned they were charging for parking but that didnt last but a few days. Now it is open to Tesla Owners for Charging no fees. The Structure is open 24/7 and is no fees for parking weekends and weekdays after 6pm Maybe the San Diego one will offer the same policy for Tesla Owners to Charge.

Reactions: Axtrader
My guess on why they don't open on weekend is that it is too expensive to have someone there guarding... The area isn't that great (DT sd isn't that great). Just 2-3 blocks away I park on Fridays and I had someone defecated in front of my car. fml. Paid a much cheaper 15$ parking though.
That is a symptom of the extreme homeless problem that has gotten way out of control. Local and state politicians refuse to deal effectively with it. Very unfortunate, as the area is otherwise quite pleasant. Nowadays, we have beggars on almost every intersection, largely looking for drug and alcohol $.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
Stopped by again this afternoon and took some more photos. It was open with the same person working as several weeks ago when I first went there with my wife. He even wanted to come out to say hello to my wife and see the car, which was parked just outside on the street.

More progress. Looks like the only thing left is painting the lines, installing the bumpers, and setting up a way for Tesla drivers to open the Garage Door located on "A" street. This opens on the lower level, so we enter there, then drive through to the chargers, then continue up the ramp to the exit on "6th" street. The one thing they need to do differently is the diagonal parking is currently designed to drive into the slot, but the Tesla requires the lines to be painted at the opposite angle to allow us to drive past the spot and back into it, with the front of the car pointed up hill towards the exit ramp.

It is now my opinion that Tesla is renting these spots on a monthly basis so that those charging will not have to pay. I suspect that a key-pad will be installed on the "A" street entrance so we pull in, get out and punch in the code (supplied on our GPS screen just like the Kettleman City entrance code), drive through after the door opens, then drive up to and past an open slot, then back into the Supercharger slot you wish. Since these are Urban Superchargers all of them will provide the 72 kW so any slot will work. After charge pull forward and circle left to be able to exit on the next level onto "6th" street. Seems like ease entry and exit from any of the freeways, even with all the one-way streets.

As you can see on photo 0021 there is enough room to pull in and be completely off the street and sidewalk, get out, and use a key-pad located on the wall next to the "key box". Should be a simple process of entering the garage.

Attachments

• IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_0014.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0018.JPG
    IMG_0018.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0021.JPG
    IMG_0021.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Im not too worried about the pay lot situation....I encountered a similar situation in Colorado Springs. The lot is downtown and is a pay lot. As I exited, prepared to pay, the attendant advised Tesla gives 1 hour free. The lot is open 24/7 and an employee is inside the office near the exit. The San Diego location has posted "New Management + New Upgrades Coming" so Im anticipating some changes once the chargers are activated.

This is going to be a welcome addition to the SD Supercharger situation....I pulled in the Qualcom location at 3pm on a Thursday and we had all 12 chargers in use and a line of 8 waiting......took 25mins to get thru the line and plug in, and then suffered with a 40kw/hour charge speed. I figured the speed was down due to the excessive usage, but what ever the reason, charging took an hour and 30 mins for me to fill up. They also now staff a parking attendant daily to help facilitate the traffic back up. The place is crazy busy!

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
You spent 2 hours at the Supercharger site, plus the traffic and time to/from the Supercharger, so maybe 3 hours total, but could be 4 hours with traffic the way it is in that area.

How many kWh of electricity did you get? Knowing that Downtown is the Urban Superchargers with 72 kW charge rate you would have spent much less time (depending on how many kWh you actually got).

More like saving $10 in 3 hours, or $3.33 per hour.

While I understand the logic of the argument, I also look at the SC with multitasking in mind. On any given early weekday morning (before the SC is full), I will spend an hour charging 60-75 kwh while doing business emails, taking calls or a quick jog around the area. I see my hour at the SC as adding an extra $15-20 of value to my already packed schedule.

The fact that there’s viable keypad after-hours access is good news indeed. Clearly, San Diego needs more than 1 SC (doh).

Hopefully they add a 3rd location without delay.

San Ysidro or National City would be an interesting choice to leverage Ensenada/Rosarito trips/tourism, but they’ll have to work on the warranty verbiage first.

Besides which, something nearer the airport and the La Jolla area would be more helpful in the shorter term to assist with the LA/OC traffic.

Carlsbad can’t come soon enough either as San Clemente is already filling up at peak times.

Challenging demand management in SoCal. Now that there’s a revenue component at $0.26/kW, I imagine they can’t build these fast enough to get their sites in before whatever competition does first (there are limited practical locations until, say, Chevron partners up and enables even 4 stalls at every new Chevron gas station for example).

No, I did not bring enough crack for everybody.

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

• Helpful
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Thanks for the update and photos Axtrader. I was actually going to ask if anyone has been there since I last visited almost two weeks ago. Did you find out anything from the garage staff about Tesla access to the "A" street entrance with a keypad?

Also glad to see the new painted stall lines. It would not help us if we had to pull in nose first. For those not familiar the new lines are opposite what was there (see last photo above).

No one seems to know how the “A” Street access will work other than it will be the primary Tesla entrance. The exit will be out on 6th on the primary (2nd) floor. I can’t imagine access limited to business hrs 6am- 6pm.

Interesting that wheels stops are no longer anywhere in sight; thought those would be helpful to those who park by braille. I suspect the installation crew will completely clear out this week and move to their next project. And hopefully the final Tesla test crew is not far behind... Looks like this site could be up and running by next week if they can figure out the garage access piece.

The "A" Street entrance should be very easy. You can pull up, completely off the sidewalk and out of any weather, then exit the car to use a keypad. Looks like all we need is the keypad and the access code on the GPS, just like Kettleman City.

I realize Tesla's probably pretty deep on feature requests at this point, but it'd be nice if they just incorporated a geo-fenced garage open into the MCU, so when you approach it you have the option to open the door from the screen.

Maybe they could even adapt the homelink feature somehow.

I thought about the Homelink but since you would think that most of the usage would be out of town visitors using this location only once I am not sure how it could be linked to the garage door. A keypad would be a simple solution that would work 100% of the time. Unlike the phone/Model 3 issues with Bluetooth....