Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego CA - A Street (LIVE 27 Jun 2018, 16 Urban type)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ive also talked to several employees over the last couple of weeks and found their answers were based on their current procedures, and that is if you pull into the parking structure you pay the rate. (which is currently $2.00 for 15 mins, or $8 an hour). They also confirmed that they close at 6pm on week nights and are closed Saturdays and Sundays.

Ive now had my car long enough and been to enough Tesla chargers to know this is not the process Tesla would condone. Im pretty comfortable (Stated with my fingers crossed) that when this location opens in the next few weeks they will have not only an easy access plan for off hours, they will have a waived parking fee for folks charging. This is a far too important location to the Tesla community. Again, (with fingers crossed) Ill compliment Tesla on a great addition to the charging network.

Now......TURN ON THE DANG CHARGERS!!!!

Reactions: X-TRA
Glad a second SC finally is going to open in SD but equally glad I won’t have to use it :eek:...spaces are tight and when normal folks who park there start coming thru I can see a backlog with folks having to back in at angle on that level ...I really wished they had done a more tranditonal SC near the airport

Glad a second SC finally is going to open in SD but equally glad I won’t have to use it :eek:...spaces are tight and when normal folks who park there start coming thru I can see a backlog with folks having to back in at angle on that level ...I really wished they had done a more tranditonal SC near the airport

Space ... the final frontier.

Apparently it is hard to find locations in the San Diego region...

Reactions: P85_DA
Ive also talked to several employees over the last couple of weeks and found their answers were based on their current procedures, and that is if you pull into the parking structure you pay the rate. (which is currently $2.00 for 15 mins, or $8 an hour). They also confirmed that they close at 6pm on week nights and are closed Saturdays and Sundays.

Ive now had my car long enough and been to enough Tesla chargers to know this is not the process Tesla would condone. Im pretty comfortable (Stated with my fingers crossed) that when this location opens in the next few weeks they will have not only an easy access plan for off hours, they will have a waived parking fee for folks charging. This is a far too important location to the Tesla community. Again, (with fingers crossed) Ill compliment Tesla on a great addition to the charging network.

Now......TURN ON THE DANG CHARGERS!!!!
I agree it will likely be a 24/7 supercharger, but I think you're wrong about the parking FEE.

San Diego must be like, I don’t know, kryptonite, to Tesla Superchargers. The superchargers just can’t seem to get up and running in a normal, functional and user friendly fashion anywhere in America’s Finest City, unlike the comparative surfeit of superchargers in the rest of Southern California.

Grrr...whine, whine...

• Funny
Reactions: X-TRA and P85_DA
I just don’t think they’re going to stick those charging with the parking fee. I think the most fair terms would be “first hour free.” Prevents people from parking there plugged in during a work day, baseball game, concert, etc. I just don’t see Tesla signing off on $8/hr parking for owners while charging; it doesn’t parallel their mission.

These urban chargers are not necessarily for long distance travel ...so IMO paying some fee is ok to get in garage and charge ,. When I was there I spoke to several owners who lived downtown and could not wait for these chargers to open so they can charge ...without having some fee this place can easily turn into SJC where locals abuse it to the point of making it unusable for most folks ...although Tesla guaranteed free super charging for some owners I don’t feel this necessarily applies to fees etc if these are in structures :eek::(

• Disagree
Reactions: X-TRA
This lot has limited hours of operation for those paying each time they use this garage. The Monthly parking users have their own entrance that is usable 24/7.

As I see it, the only option for 24/7 Supercharging is to use the Monthly entrance from "A" Street. No one is there to collect money. Plus this entrance, to the lower level, is the only practical access to the Superchargers. The paid entrance, with limited hours, is on the upper level entering from 6th Ave. The ramp is ONE WAY up from the Superchargers.

It is my opinion that the Urban Superchargers are much more practical for all Tesla charging, including those on long travel, than the Standard Supercharger in areas that are more than 50% utilized. The reason for this is that even though the Standard Supercharger is 120kW, it is shared with the A/B pair. In my California travels I have often experienced plugging in and getting 25kW or less for a long time, slowly increasing but never reaching 72kW. The Urban Superchargers give everyone 72kW from the start.

In my case, the most I have ever gotten is 96kW which does not take long to be below the 72kW of the Urban SC, so in heavy use areas the Urban SC if much preferred. jmho

I just don’t think they’re going to stick those charging with the parking fee. I think the most fair terms would be “first hour free.” Prevents people from parking there plugged in during a work day, baseball game, concert, etc. I just don’t see Tesla signing off on $8/hr parking for owners while charging; it doesn’t parallel their mission.

The National Harbor Supercharger in Maryland is $5/hr. Other cities have Superchargers in garage structures that charge fees, as well. Hopefully there is at least some discount, since $8 is pretty steep if all you want to do is charge for a few minutes.

Reactions: P85_DA
Perhaps some of you are unaware, but there are many urban superchargers that having parking FEES. I would be totally shocked if this one ended up being FREE. It's about as urban as it gets. Also, I think it could be a "be careful what you wish for" situation. As previously pointed out, if they are FREE, there could be a line backed up for miles. Personally I'd rather pay for something and not have to deal with hours long wait times.

Based on graffi's description of the garage, I do think it's possible that it will be FREE after hours, but still a pay to charge situation during business hours. If that is the case, it will be hilarious to see all the Tesla owners line up waiting for the garage to close so they can charge for FREE :)

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Personally, I can't get too worked up about having to pay for parking in the downtown area. Sure, free is always nice but c'mon, if you can afford a Tesla, you can afford to occasionally pay for parking. Even those who don't drive Teslas usually expect to pay in the downtown area.

A much bigger concern to me is availability. While every SC I've looked up so far has been listed as 24/7 access, I wouldn't be surprised if there are (or will be) some that aren't. That's what I'd like to avoid. In a pinch, given a choice between a supercharger that I can't use because it is closed, saturated or simply doesn't exist, and one that's available at a price, the choice is obvious.

Last edited:
Overall the logistics of this location suck ..it’s close to the freeway and that is only thing good ...having chargers near entrance ramp on the incline backing in at angle in tight spots is not conducive for easy in and out ..not to mention there really is no place to wait in case this is full ...I see this filled up day one with locals who live downtown and don’t have access to charging :(

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
The whole topic of locals who cannot charge EVs at home is a very serious one that needs its own discussion. The problem certainly isn't limited to Tesla drivers even if it's a significant contributor to congestion at the Qualcomm SC.

I think we can all agree that one of the great things about driving an EV is being able to charge overnight at home and leave every day with a full battery. But suppose you couldn't do that?

I've read that the state is planning to spend a good chunk of money on more EV infrastructure, so if you care as much as I do about the general success of EVs (as opposed to increasing the opportunities to charge your own Tesla for free), I strongly recommend a lobbying campaign to solve the problem of Level 2 home charging for people living in apartments, condos and other high density housing units. I'm fortunate to own a detached single-family house in south University City where it was easy to install my own EVSE. But go just a mile or two north to UTC where it's all high density housing and you can see the problem is quite acute. We need to fix this problem.

Reactions: Bet TSLA and P85_DA