Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA - Camino Del Sur (Black Mountain Ranch area, LIVE 11 Jan 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Much like "La Jolla" or "Mira Mesa" Carmel Mountain is an area of San Diego, not a town in itself.

Tesla does seem to name them by town and then street name to identify those where are more than one in a town.

Yes, but the future La Jolla supercharger is labelled as "San Diego, CA - La Jolla", not "La Jolla, CA". (Although "La Jolla, CA" is used for postal addresses, there.)

Reactions: logan
Maybe...
Never heard of "Carmel Mountain, CA" myself. Doesn't seem to fit with the naming convention of the others.
It's a community that's within San Diego City Limits. It's east of I-15 just north of the 56. See "Carmel Mountain Ranch" on the second Google Map screen capture below.

I've worked in the Carmel Mountain Ranch area for years, thanks
Me too! :)

Okay. Um.. now that makes three Superchargers named San Diego out of which 2 aren’t necessarily in the heart of the city so... place for confusion?
San Diego Supercharger PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You
This SC (Camino Del Sur) is not in the heart of the city, but it's definitely within the San Diego City Limits, although just barely (see 3 red dots on second Google Maps screen capture below). A more appropriate location name for this SC would be 4S Ranch or Black Mountain Ranch. I believe that the confusing part of calling a location "San Diego" is the city limit boundary, which is very oddly shaped and extends out quite a ways (see first Google Map screen capture below).

Capture_City of SD.JPG

Capture_City of SD2.JPG

This SC (Camino Del Sur) is not in the heart of the city, but it's definitely within the San Diego City Limits, although just barely (see 3 red dots on second Google Maps screen capture below). A more appropriate location name for this SC would be 4S Ranch or Black Mountain Ranch. I believe that the confusing part of calling a location "San Diego" is the city limit boundary, which is very oddly shaped and extends out quite a ways (see first Google Map screen capture below).

Del Sur is the correct name of the neighborhood where this supercharger is located. It's definitely not in 4S Ranch, which is not in the city limits. I think Black Mountain Ranch might be correct, too.

Here are my observations from using urban 72kW chargers:
Went to the Carlsbad charger. I have a Model S 100D. Charged from 29% to 80% = 168 miles. Got a nice constant 74kW, at close to 80% it tapered down.
Whole charge took 42 minutes. Unlike the 120kW chargers these are not paired, so you get full current always.
At a 120kW charger this would take about 32 minutes. So, here it was just 10 minutes more.
At Qualcomm with their 120kW chargers if your neighbor is already charging, this would also take 40+ minutes for you.

Basically, there is almost no advantage to try to go to the Qualcomm charger to get charged faster!!!
Yeah, the urban chargers will be slightly slower on average but the major advantage is that the charging speed is consistent and predictable (assuming the chargers are working correctly). For people who are needing to use superchargers for their "home" charging equivalent, that consistency is a huge benefit for only a minor drop in average charging time length.

Reactions: JeffnReno
This supercharger has finally made the tesla.com/findus page -- and guess what -- the Carmel Mountain and Escondido locations are still on there as "coming in 2019." This one is listed as "San Diego, CA - Camino Del Sur Supercharger" the same as in the app or on the tesla car screen.

So -- this one ISN'T the Carmel Mountain Ranch supercharger after all.

Tesla removed the Carmel Mountain location from its supercharger website so we can put that to bed

• Informative
Reactions: gorgonaut
Tesla removed the Carmel Mountain location from its supercharger website so we can put that to bed

Really? It is still showing up on the map for me. Interestingly though, if you click it, nothing happens. When I click other locations (existing or future) an information window pops up. No longer so for the Carmel Mountain one. Sad. I was hoping to see this one come on line too. Too greedy?

Interesting...4pm on a beautiful Friday evening, and this new SC is all used up. (ChargePoint still available). While Qualcomm has two spots open and Carlsbad has 5.

So perhaps it does alleviate some traffic from Qualcomm after all?

Went by around 10:15 last night, all spots taken. One opened up after a couple minutes. By 11 most people were gone, and at 11:30 they turned off most of the lights, kinda creepy. Kept charging till a bit past midnight, no issues. From 12 to 92 percent on a 100D.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno