Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA - Camino Del Sur (Black Mountain Ranch area, LIVE 11 Jan 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been sitting here for almost 30 minutes with a 1/3 of the chargers broken and a line of 4 cars. Would be longer but people keep giving up on the wait which is not an option for me with 15 miles left of range. Only 1 car has left the chargers since I got here. This place is terrible.

Can you get to Del Mar? 12 miles and it's downhill. There's some L2 halfway in Fairbanks Ranch in case you chicken out as well.

But yeah, Tesla definitely needs to spend a lot more effort maintaining existing infrastructure and building out more. In San Diego, the "Coming soon" Escondido and Vista Superchargers can't come soon enough. Another one off I5 in Oceanside and farther south along I15 would add a lot of flexibility, too.

Even if Tesla magically installed all the "Coming soon" Superchargers in California, I don't think it would be enough for demand here during busy travel times.

Reactions: jowaldo
Tesla needs to keep existing superchargers at 100%. Plain and simple. If one goes down they need to send a team ASAP to fix. Qualcomm has a bunch out too. Tesla doesn’t advertise, they rely on us to tell people what a wonderful experience owning a Tesla is. Having superchargers constantly out of commission and having to wait to charge won’t help promote Elon’s vision.

• Informative
Reactions: jowaldo and Dave EV
I don't think it is overstating things to say that this kind of behavior could be catastrophic for Tesla. It's bad enough -- very bad -- that these stalls have been down for so long, but they are not even marked as down. People are laying the charge cable across the top of the pods to indicate they are down, or in some cases there is blue tape. How is it possible that Tesla does not flag these by number in the car display?

I visit that Target weekly, but I don't always charge as I have great charging at home. I have not seen anyone working on these. In fact I see Tesla company cars charging there but not working on the broken chargers.

I love Tesla but this kind of crap will keep me from referring buyers to them.

Reactions: Dave EV
I talked to a Tesla employee (ranger) I told him these have been down a month, 4 dead plus 1 handicapped one we should not use. He would forward info to his boss, and area supervisor. There was a big line today, I just went home. We badly need more superchargers in this area. I told him we are Tesla’s sales force, they need to keep current owners happy.

is that permit for a fix or expansion?
It's an expansion - there was room for two additional cabinets during the initial install, so can probably go back in the pics to figure out where the 4 additional stalls will go. (Edit: I went through the original pics, could not figure out where the additional stalls will go - maybe next to the Chargepoint L2 stations?)

Question for me is why didn't they just install all 15 stalls originally? This place has been packed since it opened, there's not nearly enough Superchargers along I15 in San Diego County. Also - why an odd number?

Last edited:
Question for me is why didn't they just install all 15 stalls originally? This place has been packed since it opened, there's not nearly enough Superchargers along I15 in San Diego County.
Tesla has used a "staged" approach at a few other locations as well. I think it's a way for them to convince the property to let them have more space, i.e. they start out a bit smaller than Tesla actually wants but at a size the property is happier letting them have, and the lease includes a trigger that if they meet certain metrics on usage or other things, then Tesla can expand. As an example, one supercharger lease I read that had this type of clause, the trigger was at least X number of unique charging sessions per month for Y consecutive months.

(Edit: I went through the original pics, could not figure out where the additional stalls will go - maybe next to the Chargepoint L2 stations?)
They're going to the west of the ADA spaces. The dirt/curb was spray painted when I went by yesterday. I've circled the spaces in green in one of Edlin's old photos.
1.jpg