Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA - Camino Del Sur (Black Mountain Ranch area, LIVE 11 Jan 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is great news! I was by there as recently as last week with no fence, so they moved fast on the fence and trenching. I will try to get some more pictures and post them.

It is really bizarre though that they would call it Carmel Mountain and put the pin over by Carmel Mountain. Is it possible there is another going in by the pin drop behind Ralph's on Carmel Mountain?

Reactions: hgpayne
A lot more has been updated in the permits too. Both construction and electrical show approved as of 10/4. Fees show this detail:

Circuits 50-200 Amps Issuance Fees 2 Each 2 Paid on 862750
Circuits 1,200 Amps or Larger Issuance Fees 1 Each 1 Paid on 862750
Records-No Plan Permits/Other Issuance Fees 0 Each 0 Paid on 862750
EV Systems-Non Res/MDU (I) Issuance Fees 2 Each 2 Paid on 862750
EV Systems-Non Res/MDU (P) Submittal Fees 1 Each 1 Paid on 862750

No idea if any of that is meaningful to others. My guess is the smaller circuit is for the street light addition, and the 1200+ amp is for the SCs.

Do we think this will be urban chargers since it's an odd number and that seems to be what many of the new installs are?

This is great news! I was by there as recently as last week with no fence, so they moved fast on the fence and trenching. I will try to get some more pictures and post them.

It is really bizarre though that they would call it Carmel Mountain and put the pin over by Carmel Mountain. Is it possible there is another going in by the pin drop behind Ralph's on Carmel Mountain?

Pins on Tesla's map just go to the center point of a town, they are not specific for the actual location.

It's part of what makes hunting for the superchargers so much fun. Anywhere inside of the city limits of the town named is pretty much fair game.

A lot more has been updated in the permits too. Both construction and electrical show approved as of 10/4. Fees show this detail:

Circuits 50-200 Amps Issuance Fees 2 Each 2 Paid on 862750
Circuits 1,200 Amps or Larger Issuance Fees 1 Each 1 Paid on 862750
Records-No Plan Permits/Other Issuance Fees 0 Each 0 Paid on 862750
EV Systems-Non Res/MDU (I) Issuance Fees 2 Each 2 Paid on 862750
EV Systems-Non Res/MDU (P) Submittal Fees 1 Each 1 Paid on 862750

No idea if any of that is meaningful to others. My guess is the smaller circuit is for the street light addition, and the 1200+ amp is for the SCs.

Do we think this will be urban chargers since it's an odd number and that seems to be what many of the new installs are?

I suspect the 2 x 50-200 amp circuits are for non-Tesla chargers (I think someone in this thread said the initial permit had 2-4 of those). The 1200 Amp circuit should be the primary circuit for the supercharger setup, which Tesla's equipment will then divide. The last 2 lines you list would correlate well with this theory (and it is just that, only a theory).

Reactions: gaswalla
Pins on Tesla's map just go to the center point of a town, they are not specific for the actual location.

It's part of what makes hunting for the superchargers so much fun. Anywhere inside of the city limits of the town named is pretty much fair game.

Except it's the center of a neighborhood, in this case, and it seems to be the wrong neighborhood. Carmel Mountain, La Jolla, and Mission Valley are all shown as future supercharger sites, but those are all neighborhoods within the City of San Diego.

Six chargers in the foreground, six in the back. Plenty of space for more in the future.

Edit: Noticed that the asphalt in the parking space itself is dug up in the foreground set, but not the set in the background. Guess this means 6 pull in, 6 back in?

And there's a black X P100D hanging out in the road above the chargers. Which one of you guys is it?

Attachments

• IMG_20181005_162455.jpg
    IMG_20181005_162455.jpg
    690.5 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Six chargers in the foreground, six in the back. Plenty of space for more in the future.

Edit: Noticed that the asphalt in the parking space itself is dug up in the foreground set, but not the set in the background. Guess this means 6 pull in, 6 back in?

And there's a black X P100D hanging out in the road above the chargers. Which one of you guys is it?

Guilty! Just swung by to grab some pics.

So in this picture, the green sections are where they trenched/removed asphalt. Orange is where the storage container is.

I assume the trench to the left is for the HV, and the big square then is probably for the transformers. The upper one leads me to believe they plan to put some spots over there. The spots are a little snug, so if I assumed they were going to make them slightly larger than normal spots, and/or include some handicapped spots, that means the upper section which used to hold 5 cars may hold 4. The part right below that may have 4-5 (previously 6 spots), and just south of the equipment is another 8 spots, which could be 7 chargers. 4+4+7 = 15.

If I were a betting man, they probably won't put any to the left edge closer to the sidewalk because that hill is already steep and to make room for the chargers with good clearance would probably involve shoring it up and putting in retaining walls.

*edit to add more random photos

Attachments

• 20181005-sc1.png
    20181005-sc1.png
    864.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 7EF19706-0C25-4864-BB14-93CA7DE77A54.jpeg
    7EF19706-0C25-4864-BB14-93CA7DE77A54.jpeg
    618.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 1D526D98-9718-441C-984E-6267EED619F7.jpeg
    1D526D98-9718-441C-984E-6267EED619F7.jpeg
    646 KB · Views: 121
  • 95B0BD5E-CF73-43E6-A5C3-6EE7A8C98E6E.jpeg
    95B0BD5E-CF73-43E6-A5C3-6EE7A8C98E6E.jpeg
    670.2 KB · Views: 119
  • D1A6B6DC-2BEB-4008-8355-82431208BF8C.jpeg
    D1A6B6DC-2BEB-4008-8355-82431208BF8C.jpeg
    525 KB · Views: 111
  • D88105CF-F71A-4E7B-841A-34FE0DEF0A08.jpeg
    D88105CF-F71A-4E7B-841A-34FE0DEF0A08.jpeg
    565.4 KB · Views: 108
  • CF98D1E9-E7E5-4CC6-AD8A-3749EE0FA104.jpeg
    CF98D1E9-E7E5-4CC6-AD8A-3749EE0FA104.jpeg
    658.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 4BEA6B99-A73D-4211-B64F-C139C5187B65.jpeg
    4BEA6B99-A73D-4211-B64F-C139C5187B65.jpeg
    569.1 KB · Views: 121
You guys are fast. I just did my weekly Target run this morning and saw everything has been fenced off with an EV charger company sign. Came here to see what was going on and there's already multiple posts with photos and aerial view analysis.

I'm gladly going to eat crow as posted a few weeks ago that I didn't think this location was going to happen anytime soon. I still predict that it's going to be overrun with locals like me. It'll just be too easy to plug in while running into Target for 30-45 minutes. And really, if it ends up costing about the same about per kWh to use your home charger as it does to use a Supercharger, why not go with the faster charge? The good thing about that is at least people will be constantly coming and going.

It would be interesting to know how the usage patterns are at other Superchargers this close to big retail stores.

• Funny
Reactions: ramesses
I still predict that it's going to be overrun with locals like me. It'll just be too easy to plug in while running into Target for 30-45 minutes. And really, if it ends up costing about the same about per kWh to use your home charger as it does to use a Supercharger, why not go with the faster charge? The good thing about that is at least people will be constantly coming and going.

I’m a couple minutes from this Target and unfortunately I can see myself doing this a lot as well. I personally have only gone to a Supercharger once (Qualcomm the very next morning after taking delivery of my 3), but it would be tempting if there was one down the street.

I think my rule of thumb will be: if there are multiple open spots then I’ll plug in when I go to Target since I don’t spend more than 30 min at Target anyway.

I stopped by Monday afternoon. No activity, but a backhoe was parked in the lot and there were several piles of dirt. There were also a few trenches, obviously for electrical conduits and probably the ones that were previously reported. I have a few pictures but they probably don't show much.

A Target employee came by and we chatted for a while. She didn't know until I told her that Tesla superchargers were being installed. She said the employees were a little annoyed because they liked to park there. There's plenty of room elsewhere, but this lot is the only one well covered by a security camera. I explained that probably only 16 or so (I didn't know the actual number) spots would be reserved for Teslas, and they'd probably get the rest of the spots back after construction is completed.

She seemed to be actively considering buying a Tesla.

Several more shipping containers than shown in previous photos seemed to have appeared on site, just outside the fence on the side facing the Target (and taking up even more of the spots favored by employees.) She she said they were recent arrivals. They obviously contain equipment for the installation.

Reactions: bmah
Lots of crew on site today, with a backhoe, bulldozer, etc. More asphalt has been dug out, so we will see how the final layout will look like. Also new are ten 40 ft containers now on site. And there is a truck unloading a ton of conduit.

What's the fastest a site has been brought online? Any chance this will make it this year?

Lots of crew on site today, with a backhoe, bulldozer, etc. More asphalt has been dug out, so we will see how the final layout will look like. Also new are ten 40 ft containers now on site. And there is a truck unloading a ton of conduit.

What's the fastest a site has been brought online? Any chance this will make it this year?

I think it's certainly possible with it will be live this year. This looks like it should be a pretty straight-forward project. No retaining walls like Carlsbad. No playing second-fiddle to a larger construction project like Qualcomm. Hopefully no easement issues like SJC!

About 30 days is the fastest I’ve heard about, but that was probably a 2 stall charger. My guess on this one would be 3 months before turn on. So, slim chance this year is my guess.

Ten 40’ containers??? That sounds like a lot more than 12 stalls worth of stuff. Are they doing more than just installing 12 Supercharger stalls?

10 containers?! I didn't actually count them yesterday, but looking at my photos I see the one previously reported inside the fence on the west side, plus three apparently new ones outside the fence on the east side (nearest the Target).