Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA - Camino Del Sur (Black Mountain Ranch area, LIVE 11 Jan 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There seems to be no reason to have a big "TOO-DO" or not, but I suspect that it depends on the Host site. If they want a big Public Opening then there is one, if not, then there is nothing. I have heard of Superchargers that have been built and turned on with no announcement other than a Tesla owner accidentally finding it while traveling.

Couple West Coast trucks and about 4 workers hangin around at mid-day today, didn't really see them doing anything (maybe lunchtime).

If those containers are related to this construction, would they typically be moved out before activation? Just wondering if that would be any relevant sign of progress.

Reactions: Graffi
I just drove by this location today, too bad the stalls weren’t “coned” off. All the ones closet to the store were ICED. I think this sets a precedence and they will be ICED routinely on busy weekends when the chargers are operational. Luckily the ones further away were not ICED

Attachments

• E3215B59-28DB-44E1-80C5-C52B4F240E7D.jpeg
    E3215B59-28DB-44E1-80C5-C52B4F240E7D.jpeg
    98.2 KB · Views: 160
  • F4E78301-7F63-4EDA-82D5-2F0246008977.jpeg
    F4E78301-7F63-4EDA-82D5-2F0246008977.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 112
I just drove by this location today, too bad the stalls weren’t “coned” off. All the ones closet to the store were ICED. I think this sets a precedence and they will be ICED routinely on busy weekends when the chargers are operational. Luckily the ones further away were not ICED

In other locations, Tesla owners have bought cones and just put them in the stalls. Etiquette for Tesla owners charging, is just to move the cones and put them back after a charge.

Still isn't live, right?

Reactions: JeffnReno
I went by there just now. All the chargers are still wrapped in heavy black plastic. Also next to the existing power cabinets, there are some open pipes with a table over them that seems to indicate they still need to install additional cabinets or equipment.

I went page a few pages. Seems that no one has posted a picture of actual Supercharger cabinets. All we've seen is switch gear cabinets and the stalls. Those conduits sticking out of the ground underneath that table look exactly like conduits that would be used to feed the Supercharger cabinets. So, I'll take a guess here and say that the Supercharger cabinets haven't been installed yet. Which means, the wires haven't been pulled through the conduit yet either. If my guess are correct, we're talking not until Christmas before this site is operational...

I went page a few pages. Seems that no one has posted a picture of actual Supercharger cabinets. All we've seen is switch gear cabinets and the stalls. Those conduits sticking out of the ground underneath that table look exactly like conduits that would be used to feed the Supercharger cabinets. So, I'll take a guess here and say that the Supercharger cabinets haven't been installed yet. Which means, the wires haven't been pulled through the conduit yet either. If my guess are correct, we're talking not until Christmas before this site is operational...
Disagree. Picture in Post #146 clearly shows most of the Supercharger cabinets installed. It did show two cabinets missing with conduit stubs showing.

Reactions: mociaf9
I don't think this was already mentioned...looking at the recent pictures, and looking at the supercharger stalls while charging my car (visiting family in Pismo) the plastic wrapped around the chargers appear to be significantly smaller and not as wide as current superchargers. Maybe that's just the internal hardware and the plastic supercharger housing will be installed over that?

looking at the recent pictures, and looking at the supercharger stalls while charging my car (visiting family in Pismo) the plastic wrapped around the chargers appear to be significantly smaller and not as wide as current superchargers. Maybe that's just the internal hardware and the plastic supercharger housing will be installed over that?
I think these pedestals may be the Urban type which I think are slightly smaller than the standard Supercharger pedestal.

I don't think this was already mentioned...looking at the recent pictures, and looking at the supercharger stalls while charging my car (visiting family in Pismo) the plastic wrapped around the chargers appear to be significantly smaller and not as wide as current superchargers. Maybe that's just the internal hardware and the plastic supercharger housing will be installed over that?
They are the Urban-style superchargers. See Tesla's blogpost on the matter: Supercharging Cities

The differences are that they max out at 72kW of power. But in "compensation" for the lower rate, they aren't paired. So, as long as the stall is working properly, you're guaranteed to have access to the full 72kW regardless of whether every other stall is full or not. The end result is that on average you'll charge a bit slower than then traditional-style superchargers but you'll have guaranteed consistency. You won't suddenly get caught with an unplanned for slower charging session right when you were in a hurry just because the site happened to be super busy at that time.