Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA - Del Mar Heights Road (CLOSED 16 Sep 2021, 18 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
that lot is so poorly designed on the ramps: with blind entrances and parking spots right along the path. It's good Teslas won't be zipping up and down the ramps anymore

Gotta say, it is a very confusing parking structure that is normally completely full. They probably figured they didn’t have any spare parking spots.

I've been to these a few times, and I regret every time I went there. Very slow/throttled charging at 3AM even (Around 35-40kW at 20-30% SoC), and during the evening, the traffic was so awful in and out of the garage.

Sad because the surrounding restaurants/mall is pretty nice. Wish they'd be 250/300kW then they'd be way more useful.

I've been to these a few times, and I regret every time I went there. Very slow/throttled charging at 3AM even (Around 35-40kW at 20-30% SoC), and during the evening, the traffic was so awful in and out of the garage.

Sad because the surrounding restaurants/mall is pretty nice. Wish they'd be 250/300kW then they'd be way more useful.
I seek out the slower Superchargers (avoiding the 250s whenever possible) -- they're still fairly quick compared to L2 chargers, but don't degrade batteries like the fast Superchargers do. I wish there were more of the urban variety. And if dining at nearby restaurants, etc., I don't have to feel rushed to avoid SC idle fees.

I happened to drive by that public One Paseo parking deck today and saw a semi with a flatbed trailer loaded with Supercharger power supply hardware about to depart to Lathrop, CA. There's a big Tesla part distribution center there. I wonder if those units or their parts will be re-used elsewhere. Other than for urban chargers, Tesla is not deploying the 72 kW units much anymore.

Even though I think Superchargers installed in parking decks are generally an access nuisance, I do wish these had stayed open until one or both of the planned Supercharger locations in Carmel Valley went live. One Paseo was quite busy at times. As of today, there's still zero hardware delivery or construction activity at the Pavilions and Torrey Hills locations.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
I seek out the slower Superchargers (avoiding the 250s whenever possible) -- they're still fairly quick compared to L2 chargers, but don't degrade batteries like the fast Superchargers do. I wish there were more of the urban variety. And if dining at nearby restaurants, etc., I don't have to feel rushed to avoid SC idle fees.
That's a good point about feeling rushed, and I've experienced that too -- particularly when getting something to eat a busy 250 kW Supercharger location. I must say that it's a pretty great problem to have. "My car just charges toooooo fast!" 🤣

To go easier on the battery, has anyone tried to lower the max charging power when using a 250kW Supercharger? It's probably not possible through the touch screen since the idea is to have high turn-over for each charging spot, but I've never actually tried to do that. If a Supercharger site isn't busy, that might be a nice option to allow drivers to reduce the charging rate.

You could NOT navigate to the supercharger and instead choose a local destination for nav routing. That way the car does not precondition the battery and you may end up getting slightly slower rates overall. Just an option.
On a couple very hot or cold days, I've left the AC or heater running to slow charging (and make the car more comfortable upon return). I feel a little guilty doing it, to be honest -- it's not the most environmentally responsible thing to do, and I really don't want to leave anyone waiting unnecessarily if it's a busy charging location. Now that I reflect on that questionable practice, I vow not to ever do it again! Whew -- I feel better now.

Do you have a link to where Tesla has said fast charging degrades the battery?

Do you have a link to where Tesla has said fast charging degrades the battery?
-From the m3 manual-

Minimize the use of DC chargers (such as
Superchargers) for optimal Battery health.
It is normal for estimated range to decrease slightly over
the first few months before leveling off. Over time, you
may see a gradual, but natural, decrease in range at full
charge – this depends on factors such as Supercharging
regularly or the mileage and age of the Battery.

Meaning One Paseo management didn't like all the car and customer traffic and the additional dollars brought by Tesla drivers??? SMH
Maybe the Tesla owners are displacing other customers that would spend more? If someone lives in a condo near by, and depends on that supercharger for most of their charging, they probably aren't patronizing the businesses very much per visit.

Guys seriously? I live down the street from this Supercharger. I have charged here and patronized this area 50+ times in the last year. I have checked out (if not dined) at every restaurant and checked out (if not shopped) at every retailer at One Paseo. With this now gone, I will likely never have a reason to come back.

Yes, One Paseo is a little on the busy side. However, there has NEVER been a lack of parking space EVER in this garage. NOT EVER. It’ll get “full” (meaning the lower 2 levels are almost full), but you could ALWAYS find a spot. No matter what. So the theory on needing another dozen and a half spaces for conventional parkers is a farce. And more recently, this center has settled down as far as traffic as other nearby malls have stepped up their game (I’m looking at you Sky Deck/Del Mar Highlands). At a recent visit, the 2nd floor deck was wide open.

As far this Supercharger's throughput? Of those 50 times I’ve been, I’ve had to wait more than 1 second to get to a stall exactly once. Over 50% of the time, it was less than half full. So it was built perfectly in that regard.

Does anyone REALLY know the reason this would shut down? There’s a much deeper story here. And somebody lost a TON of money on this. The permitting, infrastructure, build, maintenance of these projects is colossal. Let’s build the Hoover Dam and “relocate” it to 3 different places after a year? I don’t think so. OK, so it’s not the Hoover Dam, but you know what I’m getting at!

I’m saddened by any Supercharger closing, anywhere, at anytime. This was a really good one. Makes exactly ZERO sense. Do we really know what happened?