Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA - Friars Road (Mission Valley, LIVE 31 Jan 2019, 24 Urban + 24 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love this but Fashion Valley has been slowly losing business as UTC is attracting more people w/ their latest redesign and offerings. Never mind the traffic on Friars to just get here but I am thankful! Hoping for 4S Ranch / Del Sur to open soon as well!

Reactions: JeffnReno
Warning: Irresponsible FUD ahead

How many of these stalls will regularly be occupied by:
1.) Tesla Test Drive Cars
2.) Valet parking (I know it's a bit of a jog for the valet, but seems like a handy way for them to "juice" their tips by providing this extra benefit)

Warning: Irresponsible FUD ahead

How many of these stalls will regularly be occupied by:
1.) Tesla Test Drive Cars
2.) Valet parking (I know it's a bit of a jog for the valet, but seems like a handy way for them to "juice" their tips by providing this extra benefit)

eh they'd have to move the car anyway after its charged. If you rack up a bunch of idling fees on my car it's not gonna be great for your tip.

The test drive cars have HPWCs in one of the garages already and don't do that many miles.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm missing something...what would be the advantage to having a destination charger in addition to the superchargers? There will be 24 plugs here, vs 16+2 at A Street...

From my Perspective:
1) Too much supercharging can lead to your car's charge speed being nerfed
2) I may want to leave the car sitting for longer than 30-40 minutes without moving it (especially at the mall). Destination chargers still put out a healthy 10kw or so, meaning a couple hours of charging adds appreciable range. I use the Blink chargers at the LOT when i watch movies for this reason.

From Tesla's Perspective
Much..Much cheaper to put in than supercharger stalls and the power is cheaper too since there's less demand charges (set by your peak power consumption). So adding a few destination chargers would reduce demand for supercharger stalls without adding a lot of cost.

Frankly I'm amazed that no malls have just put in 10 destination chargers on their own. Seems like a cheap way to get a bunch of people with disposable income to visit your shopping center for hours at a time.

Last edited:
From my Perspective:
1) Too much supercharging can lead to your car's charge speed being nerfed
2) I may want to leave the car sitting for longer than 30-40 minutes without moving it (especially at the mall). Destination chargers still put out a healthy 10kw or so, meaning a couple hours of charging adds appreciable range. I use the Blink chargers at the LOT when i watch movies for this reason.

From Tesla's Perspective
Much..Much cheaper to put in than supercharger stalls and the power is cheaper too since there's less demand charges (set by your peak power consumption). So adding a few destination chargers would reduce demand for supercharger stalls without adding a lot of cost.

Frankly I'm amazed that no malls have just put in 10 destination chargers on their own. Seems like a cheap way to get a bunch of people with disposable income to visit your shopping center for hours at a time.
I agree, at malls like this at least. But I wonder by the time they pay for the space, permits, physical installation, etc how much more in comparison is is for superchargers. Plus, destination chargers AFAIK don't have the tech to be able to bill people without free supercharging, or deal with idle fees. So I could see someone leaving it on a destination charger for way longer than they really need..

Woke up early this morning and It is raining, a heavy rain for San Diego, but just a light rain from those areas of the country that get lots of rain.

Anyway, the weather app on my phone shows several days of rain this next week. Maybe they will wait until AFTER this parking lot floods before they turn on this Supercharger.

For those who have not been to San Diego, we get so little rain each year that when it DOES rain it has a tendency to freak out so many San Diego drivers, and flood many of the lower roads, such as the back entrance to this Supercharger location. The front entrance, through the Mall parking area, is on higher ground and does not flood. However it does have HEAVY traffic.

• Informative
IMG_0493.JPG
IMG_0494.JPG
We have a new transformer and distribution switch now!

Attachments

• IMG_0495.JPG
    IMG_0495.JPG
    534 KB · Views: 52
From "Active Weather Alerts" in my weather app.

There is the potential of mud slides and debris flows at recent
burn scars, particularly near the Holy Fire burn scar. Debris
flows can happen suddenly with little time to act. Heed the
advice of local officials. In addition, street flooding is
possible along with the possibility of some road closures. There
is also the possibility of river flooding of the San Diego
River at Fashion Valley.

• Informative