Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA - Friars Road (Mission Valley, LIVE 31 Jan 2019, 24 Urban + 24 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I said this in an earlier conversation about how quickly SDG&E indeed moves. Right on cue, if you put them on the critical path, they delivered. Coincidentally, I needed them for a personal commercial installation 2 weeks ago. Again, they were right there.

Back to the Supercharger. This is yet another huge recent win for SD County. Less than a year ago, I had a buddy in town (from Wisconsin, he's also a Model S owner). We drove around quite a bit, sight seeing, golfing, etc. He commented, "You're going to need to hit up a Supercharger pretty soon." I was embarrassed and pretty much deflected the comment b/c I knew our only option was Qualcomm and that's, well, not an option. Thankfully, we had enough to get him to the airport. I charged overnight at my work charger and there was no problem.

Now, we have multiple high-capacity locations all with great food/time-killing venues nearby.

This is really, really good.

If anyone sees that the roadblock/flooding on Avenida del Rio is gone, could you update here? Until then, everyone should be aware that the Nav will take you to a closed route. Until then, take Fashion Valley Rd to Riverwalk instead, or take Friars Rd W from the North.

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
Used this supercharger on the weekend. Not overcrowded yet. And the mall is actually quite nice. Never knew it was there. Even has a Tesla store.

I went to this SuperCharger this weekend, Feb 9, 2019 and there was a Cue! I was second in line behind the 24 stations in use! Word travels. Where did all these people charge before this one opened? It's great that Tesla is adding all these in SD County but they get eaten up really fast! Not complaining, just surprised. I'm thrilled these 24 are open!

I went to this SuperCharger this weekend, Feb 9, 2019 and there was a Cue! I was second in line behind the 24 stations in use! Word travels. Where did all these people charge before this one opened? It's great that Tesla is adding all these in SD County but they get eaten up really fast! Not complaining, just surprised. I'm thrilled these 24 are open!
My guess is downtown SD folks have found a new place to charge..

Stopped in again and only getting 47/48kw, is anyone else having an issue? I just wanted to see if I am having an issue with my car, getting ready for a road trip and don’t want to have to wait hours on the road at slow SC speeds. Don’t know if my car is affected like others complaining about chargegate.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
Stopped in again and only getting 47/48kw, is anyone else having an issue? I just wanted to see if I am having an issue with my car, getting ready for a road trip and don’t want to have to wait hours on the road at slow SC speeds. Don’t know if my car is affected like others complaining about chargegate.
Yes, last night around 2130 we also saw only ~30 kW or so on our brand new model X. Although we were already at 80% we were close to the supercharger and decided to give it a try (first time we'd supercharged that car). Charging power was never higher than about 30-35 kW, and it ramped up and down several times. Although 80% is fairly high I think it should still have drawn more than that, at least at the beginning of charge.

Yes, last night around 2130 we also saw only ~30 kW or so on our brand new model X. Although we were already at 80% we were close to the supercharger and decided to give it a try (first time we'd supercharged that car). Charging power was never higher than about 30-35 kW, and it ramped up and down several times. Although 80% is fairly high I think it should still have drawn more than that, at least at the beginning of charge.
I don't think that seems unusual at all. You can't expect a high charge rate when you start at 80% SOC.

Stalls 11A and 9B are exhibiting reduced charged rate. On Supercharger 11A at low SOC, our Model 3 cycled from 0-29 kw back 0kw five times before staying at 29kw. Unplugged/replugged same result. Switched to the next stall at 10B and immediately went to 73kw. 9B was doing slightly better earlier this week getting up to 35kw at low SOC.
Does anyone have an updated top 10 Supercharger useage locations map like the one at Kettleman? This location was in the top 5 in kWh delivered a coupe of months ago.