Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weird , wonder why it would take 3-4 months rather than the 3-4 weeks some other sites take...

That's because there is quite a lot of other construction work happening at this site. The supercharger work is likely going to take a break while this parking lot is torn up and reconfigured. I don't think the supercharger equipment will be installed and the wires pulled through the conduit until after that.

Too many people whining about the location without understanding the area. Very close to major freeways and very easy access for tesla owners (with hov stickers). The hov lane from and to the north 805 is already open and you just exit (or use onramp) to Carrol canyon rd to pacific hts. You'll avoid all traffic even at 5p on Friday. (Nothing to do about freeway jams on so cal though). I understand that the hov on-ramp and exit going to and from the south are to be filled within a year or two also. Looking forward to more out of town folks feeling comfortable driving their Model S to Americas Finest City.

Any chance we can get this thread renamed to:

Supercharger - San Diego (Pacific Heights Blvd), CA

It would fit the format of the other super charger thread better and make it easier to spot when browsing the "Charging Standards and Infrastructure" forum

Good idea on the thread renaming - I can't seem to edit my post anymore, nor the thread title - maybe mods can do this.

I think the way to get the mod's attention it to use the "report post" link that's at the bottom of each post. (The triangle with exclamation point.) That takes you to a page where you can describe the problem. That page says it's only for more serious problems, but I don't know of any other way to report small things like this. I've used it before for stuff like this, and the mods didn't seem to get upset about it.

Thinking about it more, this location is by far the furthest from the freeway of any current or planned CA supercharger (didn't have time to check others outside CA). It's a mile, with SIX stoplights each way! Sorrento Valley employees will no doubt enjoy this location, but the convenience factor for others has been grossly overstated here. Even those that frequent this area will attest that they would prefer to stay away from these awfully-timed lights whenever possible. And the amenities nearby...no thanks...

Thinking about it more, this location is by far the furthest from the freeway of any current or planned CA supercharger (didn't have time to check others outside CA). It's a mile, with SIX stoplights each way! Sorrento Valley employees will no doubt enjoy this location, but the convenience factor for others has been grossly overstated here. Even those that frequent this area will attest that they would prefer to stay away from these awfully-timed lights whenever possible. And the amenities nearby...no thanks...

There are worse, and one should not dismiss the difficulty in finding sites; it's not that easy. St George, UT is about 3.5 miles from I-15.

St George.jpg

That brings up another problem. There are a bunch of Teslas at Qualcomm. Expect this supercharger to be clogged on weekdays with QC employees.

I doubt that this will be a significant problem. Home charging is the quickest, 10 seconds to plug in and 10 seconds to unplug. Most Qualcomm employees are more interested in personal time than saving a few dollars in electricity expense.

Tesla has it on the Supercharger Map. Superchargers 10105 Pacific Heights Blvd San Diego. 12 stalls

That's not Tesla's site. I think they got their info from this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

If so, their license plates should be posted here as examples of total douchbags. And no, I'm not kidding.

I don't mean that they'll be parking there without charging, or for a lot longer then it takes to charge. But perhaps we have a different definition of what constitutes douchebag behavior.

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt that this will be a significant problem. Home charging is the quickest, 10 seconds to plug in and 10 seconds to unplug. Most Qualcomm employees are more interested in personal time than saving a few dollars in electricity expense.

You'd think that would be true of Telsa owners in general, but SJC and Hawthorne are clogged with locals. I hope I'm wrong.

That brings up another problem. There are a bunch of Teslas at Qualcomm. Expect this supercharger to be clogged on weekdays with QC employees.

I agree this location for a 12-stall Supercharger is rather odd, right in the Qualcomm parking lot between 2 Qualcomm buildings, and not the parking lot of a mall or other convenience center, of which there are plenty far more ideal locations. Qualcomm sponsored site anyone?

Edit: another thought, perhaps an array of Qualcomm sponsored HPWCs, or like Hawthorne, a combination Supercharger / bank of HPWCs for the Qualcomm contingent.

Last edited:
in my opinion, this location sure beats sitting around at the Tesla Service Center HPWCs (which I've had to do almost every time I've driven (around) in San Diego.

Don't get me wrong, a Supercharger will be very welcome in San Diego. I just think this location is particularly odd, but I hope this is the first of a few or many Superchargers, and so the drought won't be forever.

Having worked in that area for 10 years, I will agree that this location is curious. Gotta stay far away between 3:30-6:30 on weekdays, and on weekends most of the food places nearby are closed. Seems like it is perfectly set up for use primarily by locals who work in the area. Even with the convenience of charging at home, if it is within walking distance of your Qualcomm office, then I gotta believe people will opt for the free-and-nearly-as-convenient-as-home-charging option.

That said, if this is really a supercharger then at least we will finally have a supercharger down here. Hopefully that is the first of a few more to come.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree this location for a 12-stall Supercharger is rather odd, right in the Qualcomm parking lot between 2 Qualcomm buildings, and not the parking lot of a mall or other convenience center, of which there are plenty far more ideal locations. Qualcomm sponsored site anyone?

Edit: another thought, perhaps an array of Qualcomm sponsored HPWCs, or like Hawthorne, a combination Supercharger / bank of HPWCs for the Qualcomm contingent.
An array of Qualcomm-sponsored HPWCs and some level-2 or CHAdeMO chargers for the non-Teslas makes much more sense to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't get me wrong, a Supercharger will be very welcome in San Diego. I just think this location is particularly odd, but I hope this is the first of a few or many Superchargers, and so the drought won't be forever.
Agreed.

Home charging is the quickest, 10 seconds to plug in and 10 seconds to unplug. Most Qualcomm employees are more interested in personal time than saving a few dollars in electricity expense.

One could potentially save $200/month here in CA by charging exclusively at work. Most people would take that.

My thoughts as well. Don't care what the facilities crew at QC said, they could easily confuse a bank of HPWCs with actual superchargers.

My thoughts as well. Don't care what the facilities crew at QC said, they could easily confuse a bank of HPWCs with actual superchargers.

The easy hint is the size of the feeder conduit. You can pull the wires for an HPWC in 1" conduit, or for a pair in 1.5" conduit. The feeders for Supercharger Pedestals need 3" conduit. I doubt anyone would put in 3" conduit for an HPWC.

If someone goes out and measures the conduit, remember that these are "trade sizes". The actual OD for 1" conduit is 1.3" and the actual OD for 3" conduit is 3.5". Conduit Sizes