Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopped by here for the first time in a while today. Showed 5 available. Got there and 4 stalls were coned off, two cars waiting. Moved on. What’s up?
Tesla is in cash crunch. Hahha they will need to sell more cars to fund the fix. Yeah essentially 8 stalls now. Sucks, but typical for this location. Heavy usage and heavy breakage.

Reactions: logan

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 127
I stopped by Qualcomm today. Two of the stalls were occupied with markers indicating that they were down. After I took my car to nearly 80% at a remaining stall, on a hunch I tried the two "broken" stalls. Both worked fine, so I moved the markers to the grass.
I'm curious, did the "broken" stalls show on the app as available? From what I have seen, they usually show as not available, but then, I don't have much experience.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
I went back the other day, and once again those same two spots (2A and 6A) were coned off. So was a third (3A). I tried them all, and all three worked. So I set the cones aside.

There was a Tesla employee charging a company model S, so I told him the situation and suggested that they check all three spots anyway, just in case the problem is intermittent and/or happens only for some cars and/or shows up only at high power. The connector in 3A did require two tries to seat correctly in my car's charging port.

Reactions: JeffnReno
I went back the other day, and once again those same two spots (2A and 6A) were coned off. So was a third (3A). I tried them all, and all three worked. So I set the cones aside.

There was a Tesla employee charging a company model S, so I told him the situation and suggested that they check all three spots anyway, just in case the problem is intermittent and/or happens only for some cars and/or shows up only at high power. The connector in 3A did require two tries to seat correctly in my car's charging port.
Was there signage? It's possible that Qualcomm was trying to reserve spaces rather then mark them as out of order.

Just information for those who want to charge here. 2 more stalls are down bringing the total having issues to 5 out of 12. 3 of them I know have been out for 3-4 months now. 2 more is recent. I think tesla have given up on repairs until they make some decent money. Hopefully after the quarterly report, they will ramp up repairs to this station.

ACE78EC9-30C6-42EB-87E2-757D5C00416C.jpeg

Qualcomm Supercharger has routinely had 4-5 stalls down for the last several months. And the working stalls are constantly fluctuating between 20-80kw even when the place is completely empty with no one else supercharging. I plugged in this morning with no other Tesla’s around and pulled 60kw max taking 90 minutes to charge from empty. It is almost like Tesla is intentionally degrading charge performance and
not making any repairs. It’s gone from being one of the busiest Supercharger stations to the one that no one wants to use.

Last edited:
This is super disheartening. For such an important Supercharger, you'd think creative solutions would be forthcoming.

Tesla could take a few of the stalls from the Baker station (40 stalls, NEVER more than 20 in use at a time) and swap them out to get this station fully operational in short order.

Telsa can back-fill the Baker station in another decade or two if/when they're actually needed.

6 stalls out at this critical location is unacceptable and there's no way to sugarcoat it. . .

I don't think it's a cash shortage either. However, I have to disagree with "more chargers under construction now than ever." At least that doesn't feel it's the case in Southern California. According to supercharge.info, once we get South of the Bay Area, there are 2 active permits and 2 stations under construction. So by that measure, it's justified that we're feeling a little frustrated over here. . .

Proper resource allocation feels lacking. Should Tesla be building out superchargers connecting insignificant markets in the frozen Canadian tundra when their key markets in massive population centers have maintenance issues? Probably not.

But it's easy to be a Monday morning quarterback, I suppose!

Reactions: logan and Dave EV
Well, this probably explains why Tesla's phone recording said, "your hold time is greater than 40 minutes" when I tried to report a broken charger at Gila Bend, AZ and 4 broken chargers in Yuma, AZ. Now you can't even charge in San Diego when you finally get there without going to an alternate location. Might have to bring solar panels and plan to stay a few months.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA