Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It appears our valet will be going off line soon. The nice friendly face, who kept the peace at this location, said that his company will no longer be at the site after Aug 20th or 21st. He said their contract with Tesla at SD and other locations in CA will expire. He did not know if some other company will replace them or if the valet service will just go away.

9CC2769C-D2CD-45D0-A36F-47F5571AF761.jpeg
Normal 8 deep waiting line at Qualcomm on a Friday afternoon. While this Supercharger is free for all Model X,S,3, I wish Tesla would enable idling fees for those handful that abuse the privilege and overstay when they are already charged full.

Absolutely, idling fees should be enacted there.

Charging times is out of control and a situation that needs to be escalated. There should be no regular waits of more than 5-10 minutes required to plug-in. It's a PR disaster. I highly doubt that Carlsbad will have any significant effect on the lines there, too.

Reactions: jowaldo
I drive between LA and SD a lot. I avoid this location when I can, but even San Clemente with it's 20 stalls was full when I stopped there recently. Yes The Qualcomm station is bad, but it would be much worse without the SD downtown and San Clemente stations. Calsbad will definitely help as well but it won't fix it.

I have owned my Model S for 4.5 now. I have seen the Supercharger network grow from a few stations to what it is now. My experience is that the growth of the Supercharger network is slightly slower than the car sales. There are almost 10 times as many stations and aprox 20 times the stalls in the US compared to when I bought my car. Yes every station I go to is busier than it was back then.

Unfortunately I have to agree with Plus EV but when you gotta charge, well you gotta charge. Would be nice if Tesla gave us an relatively real-time (say every 10 or 15 minutes) update on the number of chargers in use at a specified location. Better yet if they could simply upload a picture of the charging station area every 10 or 15 minutes so we could see how busy the place is. That would help for everyone to decide whether is was with the drive over.

Reactions: jowaldo
Unfortunately I have to agree with Plus EV but when you gotta charge, well you gotta charge. Would be nice if Tesla gave us an relatively real-time (say every 10 or 15 minutes) update on the number of chargers in use at a specified location. Better yet if they could simply upload a picture of the charging station area every 10 or 15 minutes so we could see how busy the place is. That would help for everyone to decide whether is was with the drive over.

They do, don’t they? Pull up your area in the Nav and click on any SC and it’ll show you the stalls available there and all others in about a 100 mile radius.

But a real-time photo of the Waiting Line will give you a better understanding of what the wait time is.

Exactly... This location many times will say 1 stall is available, but that is because just one is swapping out for another car. Yet there may be a 8 car wait. Logistically though something like this would be hard for them to reliably implement... If they could just keep up on demand would be a much better solution

Exactly... This location many times will say 1 stall is available, but that is because just one is swapping out for another car. Yet there may be a 8 car wait. Logistically though something like this would be hard for them to reliably implement... If they could just keep up on demand would be a much better solution
It doesn't take a genious to figure out what is going on when the Nav shows 1 out of 12 stalls available at Qualcomm on a Friday evening.

I wonder how long Qualcomm is going to put up with their lot being clogged with Teslas? Back when this was built, I heard a rumor that a friendship between Elon Musk and Paul Jacobs (Qualcomm's CEO at the time) was how this site came to be. Now that Paul is no longer with the company, it seems like things might change.

• Helpful
Reactions: swimgeek
So happy not to need this SC any longer :p Since replacing my Turbines with Arachnids, I've picked up enough worryfree miles to do the LA/San Diego/LA day trip without stopping here. Gave you guys the Tesla wave as I drove north this afternoon and wondered how the line was doing. 10 you say? :eek:

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Absolutely insane that there aren’t any idle fees here. Showed up and was somehow only 2nd in line, but attendant tells me some of the cars have been sitting for 3-4 hours. And my Model 3 is charging for free! Doesn’t make any sense for the busiest charger in SoCal to be the one that’s 100% free.
Qualcomm pays for the electricity, so it wouldn't be right for Tesla to turn around and charge you for it. In fact, it would probably be illegal.