Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I must admit, I have noticed it mostly during high-noon, which is likely peak power usage time..
Actually, on-peak time in SDG&E territory is now 1600-2100 (4-9 pm) daily. It shifted because there's now a lot of solar generation during the day. CaISO reports utility-scale solar typically hits 10 GW every day at local noon. There's also a few more GW of rooftop solar, which is behind the meter and therefore seen as a mid-day reduction in demand.

• Informative
Reactions: caltechkid
This has probably been discussed but I can't find it... So I assume the reason for no idle fees here is that Qualcomm wouldn't allow it... but at what point should Tesla pull a little power move and threaten to pull the plug unless Qualcomm acquiesces to such fees? Maybe they don't even care to try to do this? But if they did, then I have to believe that Q employees would send a S^$^storm toward their own management. The fees are so desperately needed to encourage employees not to use this as their all-day parking spot. Have routinely seen people leave their new Model 3's carrying a work bag into the building.

What's your estimate of users of this location, Q employees vs Non-Q employees?

But if they did, then I have to believe that Q employees would send a S^$^storm toward their own management. The fees are so desperately needed to encourage employees not to use this as their all-day parking spot. Have routinely seen people leave their new Model 3's carrying a work bag into the building.

This has probably been discussed but I can't find it... So I assume the reason for no idle fees here is that Qualcomm wouldn't allow it... but at what point should Tesla pull a little power move and threaten to pull the plug unless Qualcomm acquiesces to such fees? Maybe they don't even care to try to do this? But if they did, then I have to believe that Q employees would send a S^$^storm toward their own management. The fees are so desperately needed to encourage employees not to use this as their all-day parking spot. Have routinely seen people leave their new Model 3's carrying a work bag into the building.

I don't know why there are no idle fees here, or any fees at all for that matter, but it wouldn't surprise me if Qualcomm is having regrets about allowing this mess of a supercharger on their property! The rumored main proponent of this supercharger has left the company.

What has been stated many times up thread is that Qualcomm pays for the electricity at this supercharger. And then one could assume that Tesla doesn't charge fees because of this (either because it would be illegal or merely because they feel it would be unethical).

I'm still amazed that people continue to bang their head against the wall and try to use this supercharger over and over again. It is the definition of insanity!

Reactions: Graffi
What's your estimate of users of this location, Q employees vs Non-Q employees?
I went one time before work (forgot to charge the night before and would have trouble getting home without some juice). It was 8am on a weekday, and it quickly reached capacity just before I got there and queued 4 cars. It seemed like every car that pulled in a stall while I was waiting walked straight into the building with a bag. Would not be surprised if half are taken by employees at any given time during business hours. Only the ones who have any shame will come back in an hour or so and move to a non charging spot (quite a few of the nearby spots are filled with Teslas, and those must certainly belong to employees)

What has been stated many times up thread is that Qualcomm pays for the electricity at this supercharger. And then one could assume that Tesla doesn't charge fees because of this (either because it would be illegal or merely because they feel it would be unethical).

I'm still amazed that people continue to bang their head against the wall and try to use this supercharger over and over again. It is the definition of insanity!
One possibility would be to pay those fees directly back to Qualcomm, or donate to charity! Post a sign that says "Idle fees support..." In any case, the fees aren't meant to pay for anything, per se, they just discourage selfish behavior.

And it's not crazy to want to use this site, it's crazy that so many people are still favoring it now that other (perhaps better for them) options now exist!

I think some people up thread have assumed that Qualcomm pays for the electricity, but do we have any evidence of that, other than the lack of fees?

Just took this around 5PM today. Definitely a rarity. It is mostly full now. Looks like the reason is they roped off the chargers to cut down the plants in between. I guess I just caught it when they recently finished.

Attachments

• 20181023_173428.jpg
    20181023_173428.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 83
Qualcom is also a favored place for livery service cars to charge up for their runs to LA. Usually several of them plugged in.

Lots of locals use it, as well as the tech workers. A very convenient location to the freeway for travelers as well. Understand that more Superchargers are coming to San Diego, but predict that Qualcomm will always remain popular.
Having it provide free charging to everyone also gives it a certain charm.

I haven't even bothered coming to this charger in months due to how awful it is, but a few comments on above posts.

- I wouldn't assume someone walking away with their backpack is a Qualcomm employee or leaving it all day. When I have charged there, I usually had my backpack, and would bring it with me somewhere on campus to sit and work while I charged. No one could tell if I was an employee unless they tracked me to a badged door. I could walk into 2 buildings without a badge.

- I actually think employees may be more likely to come back and move promptly compared to people who drop off their car and then go elsewhere for a meeting or whatever. I know people who do that, and it seems far more likely they would take longer than their charge time to drive to the meeting and back, thus having some idle time. When I work at buildings with a charger on site, I love the excuse to take a walk outside to move my car and no one can give me grief about me leaving a meeting a little early or running late to the next one.

- I don't think it will get much better any time soon. For every S or X with free supercharging that may choose another station after it opens, there are probably 100 new 3s that at least a few of will go out of their way for "free" charging from time to time. Unless more chargers go the free route, I would just write off this location for anything other than emergencies, as I have.

Reactions: Graffi