Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
eVgo QC is $4.95 / session + $0.20 / min on the a-la-carte plan. If you pay $14.95 / month there is no session fee and QC is $0.10 / min.

I really dislike the eVgo pricing model but one should be honest about the cost. Personally, I prefer Blink's $0.59/kWh pricing.

This on top of the $450 for ChadeMo Adaptor, and the fact that this SpC should be online in a couple of months, doesn't make it worth it for me.

One problem with EVGo a-la-carte plan is it terminates after 30 minutes every time, so it will take 2-3 "sessions" to charge a Model S. Each 30 minutes session is $10.95 ($4.95. +$6), so $30 for a charge is actually not that far off.

I believe the $14.95 a month plan has an early termination fee if you stop it in less than a year, so it only makes sense if you are going to charge a lot.

Good to know. Even at $15-20, I'd rather hang around the service center for about 30-60 mins, (I have Dual Chargers), to get enough to get up to SJC.

on April 21 I'm heading to San Diego from the Bay Area and it doesn't look like the SC will be up and running. I will charge at San Juan Capistrano and then travel to San Marcos, Carlsbad, and down to Coronado. This is my first trip so I've never charged at any location other than home or a SC. So I can make it back to San Juan Capistrano where's the best place to charge, I have Blink and ChargePoint. My initial thought was to go the San Diego Service Center. Any help would be appreciated.

Will you be staying anywhere? I'd recommend finding a destination charger near where you're staying, but if you're coming back in one day, I'd definitely recommend going to the Service Center. It's in an industrial park, which is not very entertaining, but it is in a good location (imho) and having Dual Chargers means that you can get a solid 50+ miles per charge.

@NorCalSJ, Do you have dual Chargers

My guess is that there is a charging station either at your hotel, or somewhere near it. Call them. I have stayed at the Hilton Bayfront (not Coronado) and there are a couple of Blink stations there. I just charged overnight my first night, which was enough for me to putz around SD for a few days before making the drive home. I still had enough to make it to West L.A., and that was long before Culver City and Redondo were built. Even before SJC.

I have been down there twice from Oregon. Charged at SJC and 200+ miles gives you a LOt of driving in San Diego before you need to worry about making it back to SJC. While the SD Supercharger will be nice, particularly taking a load off of SJC I never found it critical for doing all I had to do in San Diego. With the service center as a backup to put a few extra miles on for margin this should not be a difficult trip.

on April 21 I'm heading to San Diego from the Bay Area and it doesn't look like the SC will be up and running. I will charge at San Juan Capistrano and then travel to San Marcos, Carlsbad, and down to Coronado. This is my first trip so I've never charged at any location other than home or a SC. So I can make it back to San Juan Capistrano where's the best place to charge, I have Blink and ChargePoint. My initial thought was to go the San Diego Service Center. Any help would be appreciated.

Where in Coronado are you staying? I just stayed at the Hotel del Coronado a couple weeks ago and I updated Plugshare with info on their 110v outlet and 240v NEMA 14-50 outlet.

If NRG would do a good job keeping their stations on-line I would feel a lot better about paying their rates and relying on them when I travel.
At least in San Diego County, eVgo is doing a good job of keeping stations online. Certainly better than Blink. Anyway, if you only have the a-la-carte plan which doesn't cost anything to sign up, at least you can still use their L2 stations for $1.50/hr if you don't have the CHAdeMO adapter.

Good to know. Even at $15-20, I'd rather hang around the service center for about 30-60 mins, (I have Dual Chargers), to get enough to get up to SJC.
30-60 minutes on HPWC is about the same as 15-30 minutes on CHAdeMO, so $8-11 on the a-la-carte eVgo plan to CHAdeMO, not $15-20. Not to convince you to get the CHAdeMO adapter, just trying to compare apples to apples for others.

I always recommend signing up for all the charging networks if it doesn't cost anything. Doesn't hurt and may help out in a pinch and save you time when it matters. Of course, none of them are as convenient as a Supercharger or HPWC - if those happen to be available where you need them.

Here is the latest pic from the site (thanks to member Mark B.)
SD Supercharger 4-9-15.jpg