Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego CA - A Street (LIVE 27 Jun 2018, 16 Urban type)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These urban chargers are not necessarily for long distance travel ...so IMO paying some fee is ok to get in garage and charge ,. When I was there I spoke to several owners who lived downtown and could not wait for these chargers to open so they can charge ...without having some fee this place can easily turn into SJC where locals abuse it to the point of making it unusable for most folks ...although Tesla guaranteed free super charging for some owners I don’t feel this necessarily applies to fees etc if these are in structures :eek::(

I agree completely! $8/hour parking fee is totally fair for a limited resource in a difficult location. If Tesla allows a parking fee, I think we need to see this differently. We need to be happy that Tesla was able to find a suitable host location. If that host didn't make a profit, this charger wouldn't exist. Seems unfair to expect Tesla to front the cost of all this equipment and then expect them to also cover the parking fees too.
I hope that even Model 3's that are paying for power see this point of view. If you use this 5 times a year, that's $40 to "park" here. Is that really unreasonable when many other chargers are charging far more than the "cost of energy" alone. I suspect that the only people upset with the parking fee would be locals planning to abuse the resource. Probably going to get blasted for this, but this is just my personal point of view. One opinion....
I too wish that they went with Liberty Station. The Safeway parking lot seems to have quite a bit of unused capacity. Would have been perfect! Nobody likes backing in to a super tight space on an angle. Not sure I want to risk damage to my car by charging here.

While some may argue it is fair to pay $8/hr to park, I would argue with over 1260+ Supercharger Stations already built in the world, 99.9% of them dont charge a parking fee.

There’s a reason why parking lots can charge $8/hr in downtown San Diego, but don’t in the suburbs. Land is at a premium and is expensive.

• Disagree
Reactions: Graffi and P85_DA
From the parking lot's perspective i can see the worry about Teslas just abusing free access to short term park. If someone had a 30 minute errand they might not even bother plugging in.

It's sad but you know people would do it.

This is still better than my current downtown charge spot on Kettner, where I pay $10 (or $20 on the weekends) just to get in and then have to pay $0.32 / kwh. So a fill up can easily break $30 all in.

You know, it really isn’t up to Tesla. The mall owner has to want a SC. Malls that have full parking lots, or insufficient parking would not work well for either party. I suspect the main reason this car park allowed a SC to be built is that it isn’t full, and the $8/hr it charges probably has something to do with that.

You know, it really isn’t up to Tesla. The mall owner has to want a SC. Malls that have full parking lots, or insufficient parking would not work well for either party. I suspect the main reason this car park allowed a SC to be built is that it isn’t full, and the $8/hr it charges probably has something to do with that.
Then why is is still not open? (Rhetorical)

I suspect that that was the case with the relatively new, completely wonderful 21- stall SC station up in San Clemente. I haven’t come upon that location yet with all stalls occupied, though they are getting busier.

The outlet mall in the meantime, seems to be wanting, for both shoppers and tenants.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
What I've read implies that 2 hours is without validation, and then validation will extend that. But validation will initially be limited to the movie theater and the fitness center.

https://www.westfield.com/utc/center-info/parking

As long as they don't do what they did at Westfield Horton plaza which started with 3hrs free then 1hr, now it's just $2 per 15 minutes unless you get validation.

It is on Tesla website.
Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 11.58.32 PM.png

Reactions: Big Earl
Parking fee or no, I'm very curious to see how quickly it fills up and what occupation level this SC has. Given the situation at Qualcomm, it wouldn't be at all surprising if this one was near 100% for most of the waking hours of the day.

Reactions: P85_DA