Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They look like this (spotted recently near the San Diego Supercharger). This company makes it: Knightscope, Inc. – Advanced Physical Security Technologies

upload_2016-7-24_20-37-9.png

Rather than reading all 40 pages in this thread. Can someone tell me generally what the availability is like for this location? It will be the most used location by me when I travel to San Diego to enjoy the beach. I can't make it to San Diego and back home without charging.

Rather than reading all 40 pages in this thread. Can someone tell me generally what the availability is like for this location? It will be the most used location by me when I travel to San Diego to enjoy the beach. I can't make it to San Diego and back home without charging.

It's OK in mid-morning and nights. Around commute times and sometimes on the weekends it can back up.

All day? It was fairly early in the morning and not that hot yet.

That I do not know, but I will hazard a guess that it could be pretty substantial.

Plus, if Tesla gets a warning, they may be extra-cautious and throttle things for a longer period of time than requested.

I was passing through and charged for 10 min at this SC yesterday and got full rate, at least until someone pulled in and charged on the stall next to me.

I was passing through and charged for 10 min at this SC yesterday and got full rate, at least until someone pulled in and charged on the stall next to me.
If by that you mean that you were charging and the stall you were paired with was not occupied, and then someone started charging at the stall paired with your stall and your charge rate then dropped because of that...that doesn't make sense based on the way I understand how the Supercharger paired stalls work.

If you are charging and there is no charging going on at the stall you are paired with, and then someone starts charging at the stall paired with yours, your charge rate should not be effected. Their charge rate will be at whatever capacity is not being used by your charging. As your charge tapers, their charge rate will increase.

If by that you mean that you were charging and the stall you were paired with was not occupied, and then someone started charging at the stall paired with your stall and your charge rate then dropped because of that...that doesn't make sense based on the way I understand how the Supercharger paired stalls work.

If you are charging and there is no charging going on at the stall you are paired with, and then someone starts charging at the stall paired with yours, your charge rate should not be effected. Their charge rate will be at whatever capacity is not being used by your charging. As your charge tapers, their charge rate will increase.

That's not what happened. Dropped immediately about 60s after he plugged in, from 250mi/h rated charge rate to 175. And I was still below 100 mi total range in the battery, so it wasn't my car tapering off.

Most of the stalls were full that day, so that might make a difference. Temp outside was about 85F, so there should have been no total throttling.

That I do not know, but I will hazard a guess that it could be pretty substantial.

Plus, if Tesla gets a warning, they may be extra-cautious and throttle things for a longer period of time than requested.

I don't see why Tesla would throttle outside the hours specified by SDG&E. As I posted above, here is SDG&E's demand response program page:

Demand Response Program Status | San Diego Gas & Electric

We should be able to see charge rates reflect the demand response program, if Tesla is indeed participating in that. (Note, it appears the program is not active today.)

I don't know if there are other programs. If RandyS is still reading, perhaps he can give us some insight?

Hi everyone.

I just drove in this afternoon from Phoenix and stopped at the SD SC. On the way, I was getting ~310mi/h at the various Superchargers. However, in SD, I'm barely getting 132mi/h (333v, 110a). Is that normal for this SC? My battery was down to 20% when I arrived and I was the only person on my SC pair. :-/ The really strange thing is, when I initially connected, I was getting over 250mi/h but after a minute or two, it reset, amperage started ramping up very slowly, and it only made it to 110a.

Thanks in advance!
Heath

San Diego SC is getting worse. Last night many stalls were dropping to below HPWC rates. It was a cool 75 degrees outside. Temp was not an issue.

Don't know how many times we have to call Tesla to complain, I haven't seen any physical evidence they've attempted to fix the issue.

If you have to charge in San Diego, expect to be here awhile... :(

• Informative
Reactions: DDotJ
Sadly, I now drive my ICE car back and forth between homes. The wait times and charging throttling add more time to my trip than the trip. A word of advice, NEVER depend upon getting to charge on a Sunday to go anywhere in the Tesla. There have been nothing but waits on Sundays in Oxnard, Tejon Ranch, Fountain Valley, San Juan Capistrano and San Diego. I am afraid to try Vegas. Sigh.

South Orange County and San Diego County needs more Supercharging locations. San Juan Capistrano is a horribly congested that is packed with locals who leave their cars unattended for long periods of time. I've personally have not had any issues at Qualcomm but I'm usually there between 8-10am before some of my meetings the in the area.

Sadly, I now drive my ICE car back and forth between homes. The wait times and charging throttling add more time to my trip than the trip. A word of advice, NEVER depend upon getting to charge on a Sunday to go anywhere in the Tesla. There have been nothing but waits on Sundays in Oxnard, Tejon Ranch, Fountain Valley, San Juan Capistrano and San Diego. I am afraid to try Vegas. Sigh.
If you are driving between your homes, can't you charge there while visiting? With a HPWC you can charge at over 50MPH, so unless you are only visiting your house for a couple of hours, you should always be charged and ready for the drive home.