Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I went here around 5PM on Friday. The wait wasn't that bad but the charging speed was awful. It was barely pulling 40kW the whole time even after the paired/adjacent car left.

I wish I could skip SpC altogether but my 60D does not have that luxury. Also I'm staying at Carlsbad going to Lego land and safari. They need to open up that SpC at Carlsbad soon.

So I went here around 5PM on Friday. The wait wasn't that bad but the charging speed was awful. It was barely pulling 40kW the whole time even after the paired/adjacent car left.

I wish I could skip SpC altogether but my 60D does not have that luxury. Also I'm staying at Carlsbad going to Lego land and safari. They need to open up that SpC at Carlsbad soon.

True story. The failure to open an SC in North County is second only to not completing the I-10 transcontinental route almost 3 years after forecasting that little pipe dream without bringing enough, um, material for everybody.

A North County SC takes pressure off SJC as well as the ONE and ONLY SC in San Diego proper.

Reactions: JenniferQ
Stopped here last night around 730pm, all spots taken, license plates from all over. Eventually got a spot but the charge was so weak that I gave up and came back this morning. Almost all spots taken this morning, still a slow charge but eventually the spaces to left and right freed up and my kW went up. I'd say, San Diego needs more Superchargers bad. I can't wait to see where they're going to put one down in La Jolla. Anyone know where that's gonna be located? Windansea?

• Funny
Reactions: JenniferQ
I would think Windansea is very unlikely. If you go by the map (don't think you can), it points up the hill on Nautilus St. near La Jolla HS. I would think a more likely place would be somewhere around UCSD. Wouldn't think anything in the village would happen.

Close to Sorrento Valley doesn't really mean anything, especially if Sorrento Valley is often full. With these most recent expansions Tesla is often building superchargers quite close to existing ones (like the Monterey supercharger, which is less than 5 miles from the existing Seaside supercharger). It seems extremely likely to be close to I5.

If down in San Diego, I can see these area being a great spot

1) Corner of I15 and CA56 (around Rancho Penasquitos / Camel Mountain Ranch

2) I agree, off the I5 around LA Jolla would be a good spot. Very popular in/out traffic in that area. (I5/CA52/La Jolla Pkwy)

3) I prefer this over #2 - Around Mission Bay I5/I8.

4) Some where around Petco Park would be very popular, especially during Comic Con season.

5) They should offer 5-10 free Destination Charger to San Diego Zoo / Balboa Park. There some EV generic there, but something more specific to Tesla would help too.

6) I15/78 would be good around Escondido.

Perhaps they'll locate it at UTC? It can be accessed by both the I-5 and I-805, and there's a Tesla Gallery there. It's technically La Jolla, right?

That would be a good spot for a supercharger, but it's technically not La Jolla. Well, actually, La Jolla is really just a neighborhood in the City of San Diego, and neighborhood boundaries aren't always well-defined. But UTC certainly isn't in any zip code that the post office as assigned to "La Jolla, California".

That doesn't mean the supercharger won't go there, though.

I have now used the San Diego Supercharger two times, the first when I was up in that area and just wanted to find it and be able to say I have used it. The second time, last week, was when I drove my wife to visit someone close to the Supercharger so I dropped my wife off and went to charge until she was ready to be picked up. Both times I had to wait for an open slot. Last week I ended up waiting 20 minutes, then stayed on the charger for about 35 minutes. When adding the driving time from where my wife was (I could have visited also) it was more than an hour, maybe 1hr 15min. In that time I only got about $3.25 worth of electricity (as compared to my cost at home).

Is it really worth saving $3.00 an hour instead of just plugging in at home overnight? I say "NO". Plus the traffic driving south on I-805 from the Supercharger, even at 3 pm. was very bad, stop and go with speeds up to about 25 mph, then back to stop.

I do believe this was the last time I use a Supercharger here in San Diego, reserving their use for when we are on long trips, such our next trip of a couple thousand miles starting in two weeks. When I was there I met one person from north of Los Angeles needing charge to go back home (I let him use the first open slot as I was just killing time waiting for my wife). I think everyone else that I talked to and probably most of the others were local and should have charged at home on a 240v circuit. My time is certainly worth more than $3 per hour. Isn't yours? jmho

Drove by UTC today and could not believe my eyes. Genesee Ave is a mess, and UTC mall is starting to evolve into a San Diego version of the Beverly Center on La Cienega in LA. Just one huge building with parking garages.

That does pretty much describe the rebuilt section (northwest corner). Construction on Genesee is for the trolley extension and terminus at what will be a transit center at UTC where the new parking structure is. The large amount of additional parking might free up space in the existing parking to add a supercharger. After all, it's where one of the two Tesla stores is.

I have now used the San Diego Supercharger two times, the first when I was up in that area and just wanted to find it and be able to say I have used it. The second time, last week, was when I drove my wife to visit someone close to the Supercharger so I dropped my wife off and went to charge until she was ready to be picked up. Both times I had to wait for an open slot. Last week I ended up waiting 20 minutes, then stayed on the charger for about 35 minutes. When adding the driving time from where my wife was (I could have visited also) it was more than an hour, maybe 1hr 15min. In that time I only got about $3.25 worth of electricity (as compared to my cost at home).

Is it really worth saving $3.00 an hour instead of just plugging in at home overnight? I say "NO". Plus the traffic driving south on I-805 from the Supercharger, even at 3 pm. was very bad, stop and go with speeds up to about 25 mph, then back to stop.

I do believe this was the last time I use a Supercharger here in San Diego, reserving their use for when we are on long trips, such our next trip of a couple thousand miles starting in two weeks. When I was there I met one person from north of Los Angeles needing charge to go back home (I let him use the first open slot as I was just killing time waiting for my wife). I think everyone else that I talked to and probably most of the others were local and should have charged at home on a 240v circuit. My time is certainly worth more than $3 per hour. Isn't yours? jmho

Good God, why were you wasting your time and others charging at San Diego when you didn't need to? Everyone knows San Juan Capistrano and San Diego SCs are crazy busy. Just stay away unless you absolutely need to use them.

Reactions: outie
Like I said, that would be the last time I use the San Diego Supercharger. Did it because I was only a couple blocks away and wanted to experience it.
You don't have to explain. Some of us plug in just for the sake of checking out a new supercharger :) I will say that the congested CA superchargers are by far the worst for this pursuit. I usually just swoop through the metro areas in the middle of the night to cross them off the list. It helps that I'm a night owl.

I've had to charge 3-4 times this week at Qualcomm (my car and once the loaner) and every single time the place has been full.

Also, every time, a Model X limo from "Tesloop" has been there. Who or what is Tesloop? How many Teslas do they have in their fleet?