Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Diego, CA (Qualcomm / Pacific Heights Blvd., 12 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FF99B538-76A7-4906-8FF8-AF9E5F5776D2.jpeg

Qualcomm also has these four free J1772 plugs across from the Superchargers for other EVs. I wonder if more Model 3 owners will crowd the J1772 outlets for a free charge like the M3 on the far right. What do you think?

There also more L2 chargers in the parking structure behind the buildings. But (at least a couple of years ago) these were always full of employee cars.
Not sure I would trust leaving my Model 3 unattended for so long in an area that plug-in hybrids and short range EVs charge as they have a tendency to recent Teslas, which have such long range, taking a coveted J1772 spot.

I'm a former Qualcomm employee (retired 2011). Those L2 spots are really supposed to be for employee use, and they are always in short supply.

They're really too slow for transient Teslas anyway. The wiring must be pretty long. Last I checked them I saw something like 196V, less than even the 208V you typically see at commercial sites with 3-phase power (vs single-family homes with 240V split-phase power).

View attachment 313287
Qualcomm also has these four free J1772 plugs across from the Superchargers for other EVs. I wonder if more Model 3 owners will crowd the J1772 outlets for a free charge like the M3 on the far right. What do you think?
Why would they when it is free to supercharge at this location... whoops did I tell the masses of model 3 to charge at the supercharger at Qualcomm campus?

Tesla needs to expand this location or get more up and running in san diego. Cant wait for black mountain and the 2 Carlsbad location to open up to relieve Qualcomm a bit but I suspect until they charge model 3 for supercharging here all this would do is force model s to charge at those new locations and Qualcomm campus will see floods of model 3 all the time.

Also the bullshit location in downtown is useless because they charge for parking and no one is going to go there unless they are in a pinch. Tesla should stop with those paid parking location because it will do little to alleviate the crowding problem.

Woot! 40 minute wait for a charge last night at 10pm.

Cycle time was about 5 minutes meaning a lot of people were doing long charges. I just grabbed what I needed to get home but both cars next to me were there when I showed up and left.

Might finally be time to get that Chademo adapter

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
All Non-Tesla fast charging in the San Diego area are WAY more expensive than home charging. Why would anyone in San Diego want to use Chademo rather than either home or Supercharger if traveling?

Because they don't have home charging.

Also if you're headed away from the coast it's way more convenient, especially if you're further North and don't want to wait at Sorrento Valley, or down South and it's just not practical to do a 40 mile round trip for a top off before heading inland.

Imagine you're going out to Julain but you're a bit low on charge. You can either stop in Downtown, detour through Qualcomm (and wait an hour) or you can top off at a Nissan Dealer in Poway along the way.

Eventually we'll see a charger at 4S Ranch and in El Cajon but maybe we'll see those by the end of the year.

Last edited:
Still, for a Tesla it is still cheaper to use the "A" Street Supercharger than paying for much slower Chademo charging. Even with a Model 3 paying for the electricity, I believe paying for parking and Electricity is still cheaper than using Chademo.

Also I hope they place the El Cajon Supercharger somewhere like the Walmart Super Center off of I-8 at Los Coches Road. It even has a nice ring to it, "Tesla Supercharger at the Walmart Supercenter at Los Coches Road."

This would serve all East and West bound Teslas entering and exiting the San Diego area, and relieve a lot of pressure on the San Diego Sorrento Valley Supercharger, maybe even cause the waiting time to charge to be reduced to ZERO. (edited to bring it back on topic.)

Last edited: