Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America - San Dimas, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the southern California supercharger speculation thread, someone suggested that the San Dimas supercharger would be located in the Costco parking lot on the corner of Lone Hill Ave and Gladstone.

However, the Costco parking lot is crazy busy and not directly accessible from Hwy 57.

I've been speculating (for about 6 months now) that a much better location would be the Target parking lot at 888 E. Arrow Highway, just about a mile south along Lone Hill ave. This is seeming more likely as well given Tesla and Target's recent cooperation.

The parking lot is less busy, very easily accessible from Hwy 57 using the Arrow Hwy exit. There's also a convenient entrance from Cienega Ave, and the parking lot on the south side of target seems like a good location since it's nearly always empty and out of the way.

Here's a map overview, with my speculated location highlighted in orange.
sandimas.jpg

I've been checking this location a few times a month (as well as the Costco) and checking the San Dimas city development postings to see if any information shows up.

Thoughts? Anyone have any other ideas about possible locations?

No updates yet, and I haven't seen anything posted about it in the city agendas.

I've been busy and haven't had a chance to swing by for a few weeks, but I'll try to do so this weekend.

Given the focus on Westminster/Huntington and Santa Monica (for good reason!), I wouldn't be at all surprised if Tesla waited until next year before starting on San Dimas. But sometimes they surprise us...;)

So I emailed the City and got this response.

"I was forwarded your email you sent o the Public Works Department regarding Tesla charging stations in the Costco center. The City has not received any applications or plans to install charging stations in any of our commercial centers."

I'm not sure why, but there is a distinct lack of superchargers in our general area that is being built any time soon.

Probably because they are trying to build the superchargers at locations for trips. They are usually around longer freeway going east/west or north/south. The Rowland Height/Diamond Bar area is really in the middle of the 605/57/60/10 at the Greater LA area. They are puting chargers at the edge not really in the middle as much. But that does not really explain why there are chargers just a few miles from another.

If I drive to Rowland Height to have dinner (quite often), I have to make sure I have enough charge to make it home. Because there is no charger anywhere close except I am already home (Rancho/Fontana). And it is a 40 to 50 miles round trip.

Probably because they are trying to build the superchargers at locations for trips. They are usually around longer freeway going east/west or north/south. The Rowland Height/Diamond Bar area is really in the middle of the 605/57/60/10 at the Greater LA area. They are puting chargers at the edge not really in the middle as much. But that does not really explain why there are chargers just a few miles from another.

If I drive to Rowland Height to have dinner (quite often), I have to make sure I have enough charge to make it home. Because there is no charger anywhere close except I am already home (Rancho/Fontana). And it is a 40 to 50 miles round trip.

I just realized that all the existing SC stations are aligned with the 5 freeway (and 405), in the north/south passage. Your assumption makes sense from the perspective.

Just did another drive-by of the Costco and Target parking lots today. Nothing new to report. The San Dimas city council minutes also haven't turned up anything new. It may be a while before there's any activity on this supercharger, but it will surely be a welcome addition when Tesla actually builds it.

A little bit of a semi-update. Nothing concrete, but perhaps a hint that progress is happening in San Dimas.

At the May 2nd San Dimas Planning Commission meeting, the city proposed an amendment to the municipal code for electric vehicle charging stations.

From https://www.cityofsandimas.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/5.2.19-PC-Agenda-Packet.pdf
Municipal Code Text Amendment 19-0002 – Consideration of a Municipal Code Text Amendment to create a new Chapter within Title 18 – Zoning of the City of San Dimas Municipal Code to establish a zoning review process and developmental, operational, and maintenance standards for Electric Vehicle Charging Stations (EVCS)

The detailed minutes of the discussion included some interesting tidbits (emphasis mine):
Staff report presented by Associate Planner Jennifer Williams who proceeded to ask that the Planning Commission initiate a Municipal Code Text Amendment to address Electric Vehicle Charging Stations (EVCS) in the Zoning Code.

Assistant City Manager Stevens added additional comments, stating these are Electric Vehicle Charging Stations that charge a fee for their use. There are some sites and facilities around the City that do not have a fee. Those are not considered a separate independent use.

Commissioner Davis asked if the equipment for the Charging Stations is obnoxiously large.

Assistant City Manager Stevens stated most stations around town are “level 2”. The newly proposed Charging Stations will be “quick charge” and require larger equipment.

Associate Planner Williams stated the equipment will consume an enclosed space of 20’ x 50’. She added the equipment at the Smart & Final center is smaller because it is self-contained.

Commissioner Davis asked if this is being initialized because the process will need to be streamlined in the future.

Assistant City Manager Stevens stated yes, Staff would like to provide non-discretionary approvals by creating standards.

ACTION: The Planning Commission unanimously directed Staff to prepare code text and to hold a public hearing on the matter.

If Tesla is the one behind these chargers, it sounds like they may already be in touch with San Dimas. Hopefully this means that we'll be seeing a charger here in a few short Elon Months™. ;)

Reactions: SilverSp33d3r
205CDAA1-E4C2-407C-942F-EA2C492D6774.jpeg
2703C9C9-8597-4D38-8CC1-329A5C228BD5.jpeg

Interesting to note where this is taking place.
San Dimas Specific Plan No. 18. According to the data available online the location of this specific plan area is NE corner of Arrow/lone hill, SE corner of Arrow/lone hill. That’s where EVgo already has had chargers in place for a few years.

Also interesting to note the the current regulation in the zone

N. Electric car charging station for a maximum of five vehicles “

Chapter 18.530 SPECIFIC PLAN NO. 18

Last edited:
Reactions: TerranApart
Also interesting to note the the current regulation in the zone

N. Electric car charging station for a maximum of five vehicles “
In the same May 2nd meeting notes, there is a later section entitled "Revisions to SDMC 18.530- Specific Plan No. 18" in which they seem to be modifying the plan to remove the five-vehicle limit on the charging stations.

Thanks for the map! It seems maybe I've been looking in the wrong places. Area II seems to be mostly private commercial. But Area I and Area III look like possible candidates.

In the same May 2nd meeting notes, there is a later section entitled "Revisions to SDMC 18.530- Specific Plan No. 18" in which they seem to be modifying the plan to remove the five-vehicle limit on the charging stations.

Thanks for the map! It seems maybe I've been looking in the wrong places. Area II seems to be mostly private commercial. But Area I and Area III look like possible candidates.

Area 2 includes the Costco shopping center, which has the most amenities available.

F2509E8A-4821-4C5E-AF18-702F938CF7EC.jpeg
73867B5F-C340-4429-9942-121C45F393B4.jpeg
Still researching...but it looks like tesla supercharger will be coming to San Dimas in the target parking lot.

It appears Tesla has applied for a permit as well as working to change the city of San Dimas’ code for EVCS(electric vehicle charging stations). This is speculation based on comments in the planning commission agenda(page 23-26 https://www.cityofsandimas.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/5.2.19-PC-Agenda-Packet.pdf ).

“Charging equipment will require approximately 20’x50’ of space”. The only company I know of installing that much equipment as of right now is tesla. They also mention the evgo equipment in the smart and final parking lot as being “ self contained”.

Reactions: MarcoRP
Still researching...but it looks like tesla supercharger will be coming to San Dimas in the target parking lot.

It appears Tesla has applied for a permit as well as working to change the city of San Dimas’ code for EVCS(electric vehicle charging stations). This is speculation based on comments in the planning commission agenda(page 23-26 https://www.cityofsandimas.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/5.2.19-PC-Agenda-Packet.pdf ).

“Charging equipment will require approximately 20’x50’ of space”. The only company I know of installing that much equipment as of right now is tesla. They also mention the evgo equipment in the smart and final parking lot as being “ self contained”.
It could just as likely be EA, perhaps even more so, as it's already independently known that they plan to put their chargers in the San Dimas Target (see this map of planned EA locations). EA also has similar space requirements for their back-end hardware.

Wow, I haven't looked at this thread in a bit. You all have really done your research. It makes sense that they are in the target. There is a ton of wasted space in that parking lot. It's feet away from on an off ramps. Also, the Superchargers that just opened in Fontana are also is a target parking lot and I know they actually had to tap off of targets power lines. Target must be friendly to them.