Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hollister, CA (Casa De Fruta, LIVE 12 Mar 2018, 20 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

There is a "Target opening by end of 2017" location on Tesla's Supercharger map, labeled "San Felipe". It is on Hwy 152, east of Gilroy and north of Hollister, where San Felipe Road intersects 152.

San Felipe is not a town, it's just an intersection out in the country formed by a road named San Felipe. I have driven 152 many times and I don't know where Tesla would place a Supercharger in that area (of course Tesla's site location marker should not be taken as the exact location of the Supercharger site). There is a small market at that intersection -- I think it is just a seasonal fruit stand, there are several of them along that stretch of 152 -- but no other commercial establishments that I can see. Below is a Google Street View image of it.

So let's keep an eye out for any signs of Supercharger construction in that general area! It will be a very useful location.

IMG_0420.PNG

You raise a good question. Unless Tesla plans on purchasing that real estate and installing another SuperDuper Charger with 30-40 stalls, I do not know what else there is along that stretch of highway. Moreover, the traffic on that highway can be ginormous at certain times, so crossing over the eastbound lanes for westbound travelers could entail a lot of waiting and possibly the occasion collision.

I would have thought that something at Casa De Fruta would be better and more easily accessed.

I guess we are just gonna have to stay tuned.

Reactions: McManX
You raise a good question. Unless Tesla plans on purchasing that real estate and installing another SuperDuper Charger with 30-40 stalls, I do not know what else there is along that stretch of highway. Moreover, the traffic on that highway can be ginormous at certain times, so crossing over the eastbound lanes for westbound travelers could entail a lot of waiting and possibly the occasion collision.

I would have thought that something at Casa De Fruta would be better and more easily accessed.

I guess we are just gonna have to stay tuned.

I would be surprised if casa de fruta isn't begging for a supercharger, its a prime location and would bring them lots of business

Recargo claims that they will place industry standard DCFCs at Casa de Fruta and the Motel 6 near the Petro at the CA-152 and CA-33 intersection with CEC funds... eventually. This is according to public CEC documents. Those two locations are pretty much the only logical placements for fast chargers between Gilroy and I-5.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and McManX
I agree that Casa de Fruta is a likely spot for a supercharger, but it has a Hollister address so given Tesla's usual convention, it should be listed on their site with a pin on Hollister.
Agreed. The Tesla Supercharger map shows this "coming soon" Supercharger as "San Felipe" and the icon location corresponds to that name, but Casa de Fruta would be a more logical location. Perhaps Tesla simply made an error. We shall see...

They are probably just counting the location of Casa de Fruta as being San Felipe. Although their mailing address says Hollister, Casa de Fruta is much closer to the spot on the map marked San Felipe. I assume San Felipe has no post office so anything in the area would be addressed to Hollister. Hollister is not even in the same county as Casa de Fruta, but San Felipe is.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and McManX
Agreed. The Tesla Supercharger map shows this "coming soon" Supercharger as "San Felipe" and the icon location corresponds to that name, but Casa de Fruta would be a more logical location. Perhaps Tesla simply made an error. We shall see...
This past Tuesday, I was driving to L.A. via 152 and I-5.
When going past the Casa de Fruta exit, I noticed what looked like an enclosed work area with dark green covered fencing, right where the highway goes over Casa de Fruta parkway. Not very large though, so it may not be it.
This would be due East, between 152 and the shops:
26B80E30-7757-40C9-B57A-65506AB498AB.png

Sorry, no pics, was flying to what ended up being a 1,5 hour delay in traffic because a big rig went over the edge inside a turn a few miles up the road.
5 miles uphill in bumper to bumper traffic takes a toll on range (see pic below)... Could be worst, as multiple ICE cars ended up stopping on the side of the road because they were overheating.
I made Harris Ranch with 8 miles left, although I never needed to slow down so, perfect! Then it was time for brisket. Hmmmm!
A16920CF-A237-411B-91AD-131B858A193E.jpeg

Reactions: Ulmo
This past Tuesday, I was driving to L.A. via 152 and I-5.
When going past the Casa de Fruta exit, I noticed what looked like an enclosed work area with dark green covered fencing, right where the highway goes over Casa de Fruta parkway. Not very large though, so it may not be it.
This would be due East, between 152 and the shops:
View attachment 250978

Sorry, no pics, was flying to what ended up being a 1,5 hour delay in traffic because a big rig went over the edge inside a turn a few miles up the road.
5 miles uphill in bumper to bumper traffic takes a toll on range (see pic below)... Could be worst, as multiple ICE cars ended up stopping on the side of the road because they were overheating.
I made Harris Ranch with 8 miles left, although I never needed to slow down so, perfect! Then it was time for brisket. Hmmmm!
View attachment 250977

I drive 152 all the time, that green fenced area has been there for years.

Reactions: e-FTW
drove by that site off San Falipe twice in the past month, total darkness, no facilities or other proper businesses off 152 at that crossing, and I concur going northbound during heavy traffic times would be risky and potentially dangerous.

Both the Mrs. and I agree Casa De Fruita would be a much more ideal location, giving the shops and facilities within walking distance, also they have the power available to feed a Supercharger site, unlike the San Falipe/152 intersection that barely has a single pole of electricity running from the far away grid.

Wow! Not just “started” but “almost completed”. I was there a few weeks ago but did not drive into that part of the Casa de Fruta complex, I’ve never been back there. I missed it! Thread title changed. :D

When this new location becomes operational and it shows up in the car nav I will change the location name to whatever the car nav shows. As now I don’t know if it will remain as “San Felipe” or will change to something like “Casa De Fruta” or even “Hollister”.

When I search Google Maps for “Casa De Fruta” the street address shown is a Hollister address. But that town is many miles away and if Tesla applies that name to this location I think it would be confusing.

Here are GPS coordinates which I picked from Google Maps satellite view of where I think the exact location is based on that video: 36.9899107,-121.3804477

Anyone care to guess if I picked the right coordinates?​

Last edited:
Fan, labeling the Casa de Fruta location as Hollister is not any more confusing than labeling the Supercharger along Interstate 5 as Bakersfield - I5 or the Supercharger at Topaz Lake, Nevada, as Gardnerville.

I agree with you in principle. Tesla could spend a few minutes to determine the absolute best name for these locations by speaking to individuals at sites like these to determine exactly what the areas are called by those who frequent them. Moreover, for anyone who has driven SR152 (Casa de Fruta) or US395 (Topaz Lake) there are signs aplenty along the roads indicating that these locations are close.

Instead, I assume, Tesla has merged the zip code data provided by the USPS with the geographical data.