Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Francisco, CA - 16th St (LIVE 7 Jul 2023, 12 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

Just found a new permit for the installation of 12 Urban Superchargers in the parking lot for the Safeway at 2300 16th in San Francisco. The permit was filed September 1st 2020. Will add on Supercharge Info!!

2C5C776A-ECE4-46DA-B2F5-8AE06304AEBA.jpeg

This parking lot is quite often full, especially on weekend, I hope there will be not too much ICE problems.

With only 12 stalls, and being the only 'free' Supercharger in San Francisco (both the Presidio and Opera Plaza locations are paid parking), I think ICE vehicles will be the least of your problems! I'd expect this location to be very busy until additional SF locations come online.

Reactions: 1100MCM
With only 12 stalls, and being the only 'free' Supercharger in San Francisco
(both the Presidio and Opera Plaza locations are paid parking),
I think ICE vehicles will be the least of your problems!
I'd expect this location to be very busy until additional SF locations come online.
If 'very busy' and If you are waiting for a free charger, where will you stay?

I have seen cars making circles for just find a place to park.
You cannot stay in middle of the traffic so you will have park somewhere.
But how to inform other new Tesla drivers that you were there first?​

If 'very busy' and If you are waiting for a free charger, where will you stay?
Yes this new location will be very busy, and yes there will be issues with cars waiting in that parking lot for a charging stall to open up (the same issue exists at other Superchargers like the first one in San Mateo). But this new location is a good thing. A new Supercharger is always better than no Supercharger.

Finding locations in San Francisco is extremely difficult, for Tesla and every other company that wants to build EV charging stations. EV America has the same problem with their locations at 3350 Mission St and 2350 Noriega St in SF; no place to line up and wait (those locations are also in Safeway parking lots, but their locations only offer 4 chargers).

Here’s the satellite view of this new Tesla location. Google shows a SemaConnect station there but PlugShare does not show it.

E5CF7C6A-C02D-4407-89B9-B7F883FD2A9A.jpeg

I’m in LA now and I noticed they have Superchargers in Semi- residential garages like the one in “Hermosa”. Two good things! 1- it’s a 250kwh supercharger and not an urban charger 2- no issues with parking fee etc

For what it's worth, am not seeing the 16th & Potrero site on the Tesla Supercharger 'coming soon' map indicator [not sure how reliable it is ?].
Believe me, you'd want to either stay in your car or make sure your Sentry Mode was recording all 5 cameras there, that location has gone so ghetto in the last few years. Notoriously bad for smash and grab break-ins - especially on the ground floor.

For what it's worth, I rode around the lot yesterday and saw no signs of any progress. But this is a decent spot for the charger. It's not thattt dangerous, but there can be some interesting characters around. I've parked plenty of times and never had any issues. The downstairs does smell a lil like urine though, but hey welcome to sf. Would be kinda nice if they end up on the top deck I think.

• Funny
Reactions: 21five and kevin1
For what it's worth, I rode around the lot yesterday and saw no signs of any progress. But this is a decent spot for the charger. It's not thattt dangerous, but there can be some interesting characters around. I've parked plenty of times and never had any issues. The downstairs does smell a lil like urine though, but hey welcome to sf. Would be kinda nice if they end up on the top deck I think.
No progress when I was there last weekend -looked top & bottom

• Informative
Reactions: kevin1 and 1100MCM
It's been a while since the last site report, so I walked around both levels of this parking area today and checked it out. Still no sign I could see of construction or staging. At least these days, it doesn't look too crowded on Saturday afternoons; the lot was in total about one-third full, with the lower level being mostly empty.

There looked to be a lot of unused extra space to the north of the parking spots in the basement level, so if the larger bits of charging hardware can be installed there, no parking spaces should have to be removed.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
It's been a while since the last site report, so I walked around both levels of this parking area today and checked it out. Still no sign I could see of construction or staging. At least these days, it doesn't look too crowded on Saturday afternoons; the lot was in total about one-third full, with the lower level being mostly empty.

There looked to be a lot of unused extra space to the north of the parking spots in the basement level, so if the larger bits of charging hardware can be installed there, no parking spaces should have to be removed.
I just checked the online record for the building permit application. It hasn't been approved yet and the last activity on it was more than six months ago, on 2020-10-05. So, the project ran into some sort of snag and Tesla hasn't resubmitted the plans for a subsequent review yet. It may still get done, but don't be surprised if there's still a long wait until construction starts.

Does the building permit application specify which level the chargers were planned for?
Seriously, Potrero/16th is so ghetto there will be a marked difference in usage depending on whether the chargers are upper or lower level;
Upper implies some level of 'crowdsourced' security while you shop, lower - there's no way you're going to want to leave your car, security guards are non-existent or entirely ineffective. So many break-ins at this location