Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - San Francisco, CA - 16th St (LIVE 7 Jul 2023, 12 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this going to be officially the LAST Urban Supercharger ever built! I see a few 72kW Superchargers have opened recently but they were all temporary, on pallets, so could easily be picked up and removed.
Yeah, the switch to V3 pretty much doomed the urban supercharger type. The real impetus for the urban locations was that they didn't have the dynamic power sharing that the traditional V2 stalls did. But V3 solved that problem with a different approach, one that is much better than limiting all stalls to a static 72 kW.

Reactions: loquitur
And now all v2 stalls have that software update so they limit to 75kW if someone is plugged into the next stall instead of the first person getting the majority of the charge until they can no longer use it and as their charge tapers the excess power goes to the second person to plug in. I thought that was so cool, but I guess it was too confusing for Tesla owners to figure out, and it meant you had to figure out if all the stalls had one person connected to each numbered charger you had to guess who was closest to done when pairing with them.

Made a quick visit to the site on Saturday. At least some progress over the last month or so: The remainder of the old parking space lines have been ground off. Contrary to my earlier speculation, I could see no further evidence of an intent to reposition any of the chargers.

IMG_1225.jpg

IMG_1226.jpg

More interesting is what looks very much like work on the power supply side of things, on Bryant St near the corner with 16th:

IMG_1227.jpg

I noticed that one Supercharger had its cover down.
Maybe it was hit by a car or maybe it was vandalized?

Looking closer, I wonder if the inside wires were cut or came this way when delivered?
However, I noticed that there was no wires coming from the 3" pipe in the ground.
I wonder if the wires coming from the inverters were not yet installed, or if they have been pulled out and stolen?

Note: How to contact Tesla to inform them that a Suprcharger has been vandalized or is not working?

Tesla Supercharger SF 16th st  - Copy.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: israndy
It is amazing how few DCFC chargers are in good shape. I'd give it to EA if I hadn't spent the night at an EA station unable to unhook my CHAdeMO from their charger waiting for someone to drive 600 miles to free me. I fell asleep at some point so I don't know exactly when during the night the station powered down and released me, but I called them back and told them to send the guy back home. Crazy that they couldn't get it to do that remotely.

I don't want to go through the hassle of installing a charger in my condo garage
Why? I mean outside of whatever HOA etc. hassles you may have. Having a charger in your garage, having the car charged to whatever level you want, every time you use it, never having to go to another 'station' again to fill up-- this is one of the greatest joys of EV ownership IMO.

I highly recommend the company Orange Charger. They connect with your HOA and can install an Orange Outlet in your parking garage that has a power meter and internet connectivity. That allows them to bill whoever plugs into the outlet for the power delivered, that person would just need an orangecharger.com. The HOA just specifies where they want outlets and Orange will provide an estimate, recommends electricians they work with and has all the permit docs needed to get a permit.

This way your HOA doesn't have to always find out that someone ran over the plug of a charger they installed, it's just a 125 or 250 volt outlet that tenants plug the charger that came with their car into. They can change the rates they charge for electricity at any time, and Orange can even watch usage to prevent demand charges that can cause the power bill to skyrocket for the building. It's a very good system that is making the rounds on the SF peninsula.

Any updates?
Nothing too major, but I guess I might as well post what I have.

As of last weekend, I saw no change to the installation itself, but it looked like a utility project that involved placing or replacing a lot of conduit down the middle of 16th street (with a branch connecting to the shopping center, just visible to the left of the image below) had completed, which may have helped move the project forward from the utility side:

IMG_1257.jpg

There was previously a bunch of conduit in the area awaiting installation (photos from Aug. 27 and Sep. 10):

IMG_1237.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

A pad (looks too small for a EV charger transformer) has been poured and awaiting some type of equipment around the corner on Bryant St for a while now. This may or may not actually be related to the charger. While there was trenching from this location to around the corner closer to the chargers, it also connected up to things that looked like they could be related to the traffic signals instead (first photo from Oct. 2, second and third from Aug. 27)

IMG_1258.jpg

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1238.jpg

Last edited:
It’s crazy how long this has just been sitting. It must be a PG&E issue. An SF builder friend told me they have numerous projects in limbo waiting for PG&E to do basic connection work.
Last I was there (a few weeks ago), the sidewalk was closed back up with proper concrete but the empty pad from my previous photos was still awaiting something (possibly a meter). Likely awaiting the transformer as well, but I'm not sure where that will go in (perhaps underground in a vault somewhere).

Reactions: bb95570
Last I was there (a few weeks ago), the sidewalk was closed back up with proper concrete but the empty pad from my previous photos was still awaiting something (possibly a meter). Likely awaiting the transformer as well, but I'm not sure where that will go in (perhaps underground in a vault somewhere).
Recently confirmed that the new parking spaces along 16th St are striped. I don't know exactly when that happened; it was probably some time ago, but a small enough change that I didn't really take note of it.

Something new on the site when I visited it today though: a new trench heading in the opposite direction from the empty pad on the sidewalk of Bryant St (north instead of south). Could maybe be related to hooking the chargers up. No-parking signs for the work indicate the encroachment into the street should complete late March at the latest.

IMG_1302.jpg

IMG_1303.jpg

IMG_1301.jpg

IMG_1304.jpg

The sign and folding barricades give a different contractor than did the earlier work on the Supercharger (Cupertino Electric vs. Canning Electric), so the current work may actually be unrelated to the charger.

Just scoped this place out after a nice breakfast at Craftsman and Wolves. :)

Not too much to add about the Superchargers, except there are now two posts with their covers off, the right-side one in the group of two (as per post #44) and the right-most one in the row along the edge of the parking lot (next to the green pergola-like structure).

The pavement striping looks a little more sane now. Didn't really look for other construction activity related to electrical hookups.

There were various people loitering in the area who might not have appreciated their pictures being taken, so not great photos here.

Bruce.

1681663414981.jpeg